The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2001, 04:18 PM   #1
sb7979

Now that I've begun to reload on a more regular basis, I've found it is important to record certain pieces of information in regards to loading and performance. My question is, what pieces of information do you all record? I can think of the basics, as far as the load is concerned (powder, primer, bullet, etc.), and for performance (fps, average, std. dev.), but is there anything else I will want or need down the road that I should be recording now? And has anyone created a spreadsheet or something that they use to keep track of all this? Thanks.

Scott
Old March 23, 2001, 04:52 PM   #2
drothen

For what its worth, here is what I record in an excel spreadsheet.

# loaded
date
caliber
bullet
. weight gr
. type
. brand
powder
. weight gr
. brand
LOA
Crimp dia
primer
. Type
. brand

Old March 23, 2001, 05:34 PM   #3
JNewhouse

reload data

Let's see...
I haven't gotten organized enough yet to get the spreadsheet into my Visor PDA, but I do try to record all of these items.
batch number (corresponds to labels on shell boxes)
date loaded
caliber
case: brand, # of times used
bullet: brand, weight, type, lot#
primer: brand, type (i.e. GoldMatch), lot#
powder: brand, type (i.e. clays, universal, 4895), charge (in grains and usually cc's), lot#
overall length
I also make notes about whether I cleaned primer pockets, trimmed, etc. I basically record anything and everything.
Also, if I check a couple of cases for their lengths, I make a note of that. If I only shot a light load a few times, I don't bother.
Then, when I am testing the loads, I make notes on:
fps, std dev., average fps, was it loud?, did it cycle well (semi), how did the case look? (mashed primers, head speparation).
I think that I am forgetting something....
Old March 23, 2001, 09:10 PM   #4
Timothy

I agree with all the steps above. The more recorded info. the better. You never know what info. you may want to remember in the future. One other thing I do: I print my own targets on the computer and cross-reference them to each batch I load (write the batch identifier number on the target),record date, temp.,weather conditions, wind, etc., three hole punch them and put them in a binder. Now I can see by the pattern how that particular batch performed.
Old March 24, 2001, 07:04 AM   #5
Redneck2

Recorded info

There's an article in the April 2001 Handloader. Don't necessarily believe all I read, but this looks good. He keeps all kind of info.
Old March 24, 2001, 09:29 AM   #6
tonyz

I have a MS Access program that Is already for Load data entree. It was written for exactly what you are talking about. I started to use it but then went to my carry paper load book and forgot about it till your post. It is in the MS Access format.
Email me for more info

zeazast@home.com

best Tony

[Edited by tonyz on 03-24-2001 at 10:14 AM]
Old March 24, 2001, 09:56 PM   #7
dick w. holliday

i wonder if it's too late for me to start-been loading since mid 60's and my memories so bad now that i can't remember loading some of the caliber dies i have much less what i put in them-thanks god for manuals...
Dick
Old March 24, 2001, 10:24 PM   #8
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Good responses so far. I'd just add that when I load ammo I always write down the "born on date" on the box. I'll also usually note on the box what I intended the load for: plinking, hunting, accuracy, max. velocity, etc. It makes it easier when I'm grabbing stuff to go shooting.

When I Chrony my loads I record the date, the ambient temperature, the distance from the muzzle to the Chrony, the firearm the loads were shot in, and the location I was shooting at.

When I shoot for accuracy I always record the firearm used, the scope, and magnification used. I also keep groups, trimmed to size (1" or less when you do your part), and tape or staple them into my load notebook along with all the other info I've recorded. It's pretty cool to go back and look at stuff you did ten years ago and have it all there in one place. -- Kernel