The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2001, 05:21 PM   #1
dgang

I recently obtained 3 lbs. of Winchester's old ball powder #571. I've found data for use in .40 S&W but would also like to load some heavier bullets (158-180 gr) in my .357 Mag revolver.
I've gone through some old Win. reloading guides and Lee's "modern reloading" but found no info. I even contacted Winchester but they were of no help at all, only to tell me to download their entire reloading guide which consists of a very few of their newest powders. Big deal! Guess they can't be bothered with their older powders.
If any of you reloaders out there know where I could find data for #571 in .357 or have a favorite recipe you wouldn't mind sharing I would be greatful. Thanks in advance, dgang
Old March 19, 2001, 08:27 PM   #2
dick w. holliday

You owe me one--i just ran out to my reloading room where i think i've got just about every reloading manual that winchester ever put out--but to no avail--no loads shown amywhere--i did notice however some loads for 38 spec which you probably saw--if i were you i'd beef up the 38 spec loads and try a few in the 357 but i can tell you that normally when i try something that 's not in the book that i'm normally disappointed by what i get. i've never come up with anything dangerous but normally stuff like lots of unburned powder/poor ignition ect. i used to use 540 in 28 ga shotshell but 540 is no longer around and win. now shows 571 as powder of choice. with 571 only shown for small capacity cases like the 38/9mm/40-it may not just be suitasble for larger cases with a lot of air in them...Sorry i couldnot be of more help...Dick
Old March 20, 2001, 02:08 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Gang,

I've checked every loading manual that I own (about 30), and not a single one has 571 loads for .357 Mag.

I suspect that Dick is right; 571 just isn't a powder for .357 Mag.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 20, 2001, 06:32 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

dgang - I don't see a problem with using Winchester's data for the 38 Spcl +P as the starting point in a .357 Magnum. If you take it step by step watching for any signs of overpressure, you should reach a satisfactory load without any danger. (I would not say the same is true for a powder like 231.)
Old March 20, 2001, 09:45 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm glad you said that, Mal.

I was thinking about it, but just got a little too leery...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.