The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2001, 04:56 PM   #1
Timothy

Just getting ready for the first go at loading cast for .45 ACP for target shooting only. Over time on different TFL posts I've picked up that certain bullet styles cause some problems and compromise accurucy. I'm sure that down the road I'll be loading what my pistol likes best but with your help maybe I can eliminate some poor choices right off the bat!
What would you suggest with regards to bullet style and weight? (And whatever else you think might be helpful). I sure will appreciate any help you can give me!..........Thanks in advance.
Old March 17, 2001, 05:28 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've got a Springfield MilSpec 1911A1.

I've run about 2,500 230-gr. RN and maybe another 500 truncated cone cast bullets through it (can't remember the weight on the TCs, 215?).

The only time it started to bobble & feed poorly was when I brain faded after cleaning and didn't lubricate the slide rails...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 17, 2001, 06:10 PM   #3
Hal

I'm just now starting on my 3rd 500 round box of 230 gr RNL, used over 4.7 to 5.0 gr of Unique in my Kimber w/CCI standard large pistol primer. Outstanding accuracy and mild to shoot. This is a pretty powder puff load, and while it cycles fine in my Kimber, it may not have the oomph to cycle in everything. The same load in my Colt Commander is only OK for accuracy, but functions 100%.
Old March 17, 2001, 07:09 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

The 200-grain Semi-wad-cutter (SWC) is a very reliable bullet. Back when I shot IPSC, the common load was 5.8 grains of 231.

Art
Old March 18, 2001, 04:23 PM   #5
Bill in NM

I prefer the 200gr Semi-wadcutters. I was originally purchasing them (MI-TE brand), but now cast my own. These are fired from a Sig P220 and are dead accurate. I love em!!!
Bill
Old March 19, 2001, 04:25 PM   #6
Calif Hunter

I'm on my second 500-count box of D&J hardcast 200 gr, RNFP from Midway, listed in the clearance section of their website. ( http://www.midwayusa.com ) I use Titegroup powder. The semi-wadcutter designs do not feed well in either my custom Commander or my Springfield "loaded" model. I may be able to improve the reliability by playing with the overall length, but I really don't need to since the RNFP work so well and are so accurate.
Old March 20, 2001, 01:32 PM   #7
Doug 29

200 gr. semi-wadcutter (H&G#68) and anywhere from 3.8 to 4.2 of bullseye. Light recoil and tack-driving accuracy. THE load for competitive bullseye shooting for decades. Vary the charge to find the "sweet" load for your gun. Good luck and have fun! One more thing. Be sure and drop the loaded round into the barrel, to check for fit! (Barrel OUT OF THE GUN, of course.) Rim should be just below barrel hood.
Old March 20, 2001, 02:24 PM   #8
Steve Smith

I have two Springfield "loaded" 1911s...a Champion and an Ultra Compact. The both feed 200 grn. SWCs great. If you aren't shooting any matches, then SWCs aren't important, but if you are, they may give an extra point ofr two. Like Art, I load them with W231, My barrel seems to like my load and I only have to use 5.4 gr to make PF and is extremely accurate (<2" at 25 yds)...however I'm experimenting with hotter loads looking for a better recoil signature. Lyman suggests that 6.4 gr. W231 is max with that bullet...that's a very hot load.

Oh, forgot to mention...I'm on my 7th or 8th 500 rd. box of 200 grn SWCs for my Champion with no problems.