The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old March 11, 2001, 10:12 AM   #1
Jamie Young

I have a family friend that is involved in a Revolutionary War group that re-enact battles. Last year They were short handed and they needed some people in Trenton NJ so I joined up. I was part of a group of 3 guys that loaded up the cannon and fired it I HAD A BLAST!! Does anyone know if its legal to buy one of them and where you can get one? This wasn't a relic it was a fairly New Cannon and it was owned by somebody in the group.
Old March 11, 2001, 01:14 PM   #2
Bam Bam

I saw cannons for sale in Gun List or Shotgun News a while ago. I think they were surplus Russian 57mm. Price was something like $3,500, add $1,000 for hand-select. That cracked me up...add $1,000 for hand select, hahahaa
Old March 11, 2001, 02:37 PM   #3
nralife

Does Anyone Own a Cannon?

No, but I would like to. It is perfectly legal to own any muzzleloaded cannon. I am more into Civil War era cannon myself. My dream is to have a bronze 1857 12 pound Napoleon.

I would like to share a story about someone who used a Napoleon cannon like the one above to great affect in the battle of Fredricksburg.

The Gallant John Pelham at Fredricksburg, Dec. 13, 1862

"On the morning or December 13 lifting fog revealed William B. Franklin's Left Grand Division preparing to advance. Jackson's Corps, hidden in the woods at Hamilton's Crossing below Fredricksburg, was the objective. Dashing into the open (some thousands of yards in advance of Confederate positions) with just two field pieces (A 12 pounder Napoleon which was allegedly Pelham's personal pet, and a 10 pounder Parrot Rifle ), impetuous John Pelham of Alabama held off" Franklin's advance for over two hours. Pelham held his ground in spite of heavy counter battery fire (by 24 Union Field guns) that dismantled the Parrot Gun and decimated the gun crew. Pelham continued to bombard Franklin's Grand Division in spite of repeated orders from both Stuart and Jackson to withdraw. At one point JEB Stuart sent a messenger to order, "Get back from destruction you infernal, gallant fool!" According to legend, Pelham replied, "Give my compliments to General Stuart and inform him that I shall most certainly retire as soon as I have expended my ammunition."

General Robert E. Lee said of Pelham's exploit at Hamilton's Crossing, "It is glorious to see such courage in one so young."

At the end of somewhat over two hours, Pelham withdrew. He had lost one gun dismantled, five dead, and six wounded. In return, he had knocked the whole Union left flank's advance into turmoil. He had held the advance of over 15,000 Union troops at a stand still and inflicted hundreds, and perhaps even a thousand or more casualties. Pelham's gallant stand enabled Jackson to organize a warm reception that managed to repulse the assault by superior union forces and thus assured a Confederate victory at Fredricksburg.

Pelham was the youngest Major in the Confederate Army. He resigned from West Point at the beginning of the War and joined Stuart's cavalry corps. His skill, courage, and dash quickly lead to his appointment as Stuart's Chief of Artillery. Pelham was killed at a skirmish at Kelly's Ford Virginia in 1863. He was 24 at the time of his death.

The city of Pelham, a suburb or Birmingham, Alabama, was named for him and there is a historical society dedicated to his memory. Major Pelham is buried near his boyhood home in Jacksonville, Alabama."

Here is a link to a great site that is about the best I have seen a reenactment group have. It has lots of good information about the true racial makeup of parts of the Confederate Army, as well as lots of pictures and many songs from the South to listen to. It is a very good site.
http://www.37thtexas.org

I wish I could afford one of those Napoleon cannon myself. They range in price from 10 to 30 thousand dollars. A bronze model like the on in the picture runs well over 20 thousand dollars. I will probably get one one of these days anyway. You see, it is simply a matter of priorities.

Dixie Gun works has a cool little half scale cannon that would work for your front yard.

http://www.dixiegun.com

Other somewhat inexpensive cannon makers are at...

http://www.specialtymile.com/southbendreplicas/

http://www.ironhorsecannons.com/

http://www.hernironworks.com

Your top of the line full scale cannon can be found at...

http://www.florentine.com/cannonLTD/index2.html Cannon LTD

http://www.wwd.net/steen Steen

Joe

[Edited by nralife on 03-12-2001 at 02:33 PM]
Old March 11, 2001, 02:44 PM   #4
nralife

SodaPop,

Here is another great story of an 1857 Napoleon in action:

"At Fredericksburg a Confederate Napoleon recorded the most accurate use of the gun.

Attempting to take out the Union flag bearer, the Napoleon was fired at 1600 yards. The first shot killed the man next to the flag bearer and the second shot struck the flag bearer directly."

The best, barr none, site about Civil War artillery is at...

http://www.cwartillery.org/artillery.html

Joe

Old March 12, 2001, 07:12 AM   #5
citizen

Cannon.....

Ya' HADDA ask.....

NOW you've gone an' done it.....

As I sit at my monitor at 4:15 a.m., I am DETERMINED to acquire a battery for my home. When I buy my estate. As soon as I retire. In THIS lifetime. Maybe.
Life is too short for dial-up
Old March 12, 2001, 09:06 AM   #6
HankB

I remember seeing a place called "Steen Cannons" on the web somewhere.

I also recall reading that there were no restrictions on owning a 16" naval gun like they put on the Iowa class battleships, as they didn't use a cartridge, but loaded the propellant separately. But I think the projectiles carry more than the alloweed limit (1/4 oz ?) of explosive, so they might be restricted.
Old March 12, 2001, 09:41 AM   #7
iso1

Yup, I have a 35mm, zoom lens, got it a few years ago.

Also have a very old polaroid 110. Can't find film for it anymore though, but I do have a few spare flash bulbs.

Old March 12, 2001, 02:39 PM   #8
nralife

citizen,

An 1857 12 lb Napoleon loaded with a "canister" round (packed with 50 caliber miniballs) would be devastaing to anyone trying to invade your homstead. You could also knock down a whole corn field as well! LOL!

Joe
Old March 12, 2001, 02:48 PM   #9
Cougar

Cannons....

Back some thirty or so years ago when I was in Boy Scouts, I was on the 'staff' as a helper at the rifle range at summer camp. The guy who headed up the range (who happened to be a machinist of some kind) saved all of the brass from the .22s. At the end of the year he had enough to make a decent sized cannon. He melted all of the brass down and cast himself a 'signal cannon' to be used at ceremonies, flag raisings and such. It had a bore of about 1-1/2 inches, was about three- to three and a half feet long, about six inches in diameter at the breech end and tapering to about four inches in diameter at the muzzle. Its carriage or truck was built out of six-by-six lumber, and I believe it had some added weight to make the base heavier (probably salvaged lead from the range). IIRC, it had a percussion cap firing mechanism, and we fired it by pulling on a lanyard.

Normally when we fired the cannon it was just powder and some rags used as wadding. We did try it out using golf balls though. After firing the golfball at our dirt backstop (range of about 60ft) we could see the hole made by the ball, but we couldn't dig far enough to find the ball.

I wonder what ever happened to that cannon....

iso1,
110 film? Gee that's too modern for me. I still have a camera that takes 620 size film! Oh, and I have an old Kodak Instamatic that still has a unopened pack of 126 cartridge film and a couple of virgin Flashcubes! Then there's the Disk camera.... My old 35mm is a Praktica, and that is stamped 'MADE IN E GER. UNDER USSR OCCUP.' Also have an old Argus C-3...
Old March 12, 2001, 03:53 PM   #10
Gunslinger

Funny you should ask.

I had been looking for a cannon for over a year. This past Thursday a friend came by and as we were talking he was complaining about how busy his up coming week was going to be. In the middle of this he said he had to go pick up a cannon! I came out of my chair. Cannon? You've got to go pick up a cannon? Is it for sale? He confirms that it is and the deal was struck. So even though I haven't actually got the thing yet by Golly I can now say I have a cannon. The neighbors will be sooooo pleased with turn of events.
Old March 12, 2001, 04:58 PM   #11
dZ

for the rest of us mortal there is always bangsite!
http://www.cannon-mania.com/bigbang.htm

Big BangĀ®

Here lies the most popular, and abundant of the toy cannon. Hailed as safe toys for boys, millions have been sold since Circa 1912, starting
with a iron production model in 1912. Around 1915 the short lived Artillery Game was introduced, having a glass barrel. In all, over 20 gas
cannon models were produced by Conestoga and its predecessor company. Several models are still being manufactured by Conestoga in
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
>>>>>>
Welcome to our on-line store arsenal!

Here you will find dozens of exclusive and exotic cannon that will make you heard & not seen.

They will help get your point across..... Fun for the boat or back yard!
Wonderful gifts for corporations, graduates, speakers, birthdays, holidays! Great for Special events!
http://www.cannon-mania.com/store-index.htm
Old March 12, 2001, 05:48 PM   #12
Jamie Young

This thread is really starting to go somewhere I remember as a Kid my Dad having this little green cannon but it never worked right. I think he still has it but I'm not sure how much powder to put in it.
I Don't know how anyone could fight the enemy after about 3 shots from a cannon. I couldn't see more than 30ft in front of me after about 3 shots from all the smoke. Plus all the Muskets firing.
Old March 12, 2001, 06:01 PM   #13
Munro Williams

Custom made?

I'm sure that you could find a foundry somewhere and have them cast one for you. Be expensive, though.
Old March 12, 2001, 06:03 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

I had my chance during childhood...

A big brass 12 pdr Napoleon which appeared brand new and asking price of $119.95. As grade school kid, I had the money (it pays to help the school janitor haul trash and to clean relatives' homes). My father said, "No," and I've lived to regret it since then. Well today I have as some small consolation a solid brass barrel beer car mortar.
Old March 12, 2001, 06:33 PM   #15
Jamie Young

My Friend's Uncle has a Cannon that Fires GolF Balls. I'm not sure if its in the same Category as a Napolean. I'm not sure how far it shoots them But I sure wouldn't want to get hit by one!
Old March 12, 2001, 07:20 PM   #16
Munro Williams

For all your artillery needs...

Somehow this link seems appropriate:

http://www.rusarm.ru/
Old March 12, 2001, 07:47 PM   #17

A friend of mine has a cannon that he made. I was expecting something on the order of a toy. It isn't. And he did a hell of a nice job on it. I think he told me that he used a well casing for the bore. He cut a circle of steel that fit inside the bore and welded it into the bore. He then welded a similar piece of circular steel on the end, so that the breech end was double thick. He then took this to a machine shop and had the whole thing turned down so it looked good. The welds are no longer noticeable. He mounted the barrel to a car axle. He got the axle at a junk yard and cut it to the width he wanted and welded it back together. He put a tongue on it made of an I-Beam. He has a gear driven jack that is welded to the I-Beam to provide for elevation and depression of the barrel. The cannon stands about waist high, and is probably about four feet long. The bore is about 3/4" bigger in diameter than a beer can. I don't remember the load but I think he said it was either one or two cups of black powder (I don't know, don't try this without getting better information). He then loads it with a beer can filled with concrete. He has also filled a beer can about half full of .50 caliber lead round balls. He bought a worm (I think that is the right term) from a local BP shop which he uses to swab the bore out with a wet rag between shots. I have made a few gestures towards putting one together myself. If I build one, it will have to have some type of sighting system. I couldn't get him to fire it through his chrono.
I don't know if any of this is safe. I don't know if any of this is legal. Do not trust any of this information without checking it out with an authority on the subject. This could be dangerous...............
Old March 13, 2001, 01:14 AM   #18
kjm

When I was in the Army we had an 1841 Light Mountain Howitzer. Of course I didn't know that it was valuable, but I learned that it was an original and we were given it by an Army Museum. We used it in our demonstrations and ceremonies. I was in the 1st Cav divisions Horse Cavalry Detatchment, and if you're ever on Ft. Hood, you can stop by and see the thing. I think it is the only original left in existence, and it certainly is the only one left that is in military use. Gawd it was fun to shoot! It was a bitch to polish though, and the polishing took place every single time we used the thing. It's awful shiny though.
Old March 13, 2001, 09:05 AM   #19
Keiller TN

I was driving on a ridge in Chattanooga the other day and saw cannons in the yards of some fine homes. Apparently this residential area is on a millitary park. A fair number of houses were for sale. Just buy a house and a cannon comes with it. They would make nice conversation pieces.
Old March 13, 2001, 11:48 AM   #20
Betty

If you're handy with tools, make your own. (It's legal in my state, anyways.) We have one that looks exactly like what's in nralife's picture, on a smaller scale, of course. The wheels are about 1 1/2 feet diameter and the barrel is one-piece solid brass turned on a lathe. It shoots ball bearings. It's very loud. We shoot it on the 4th of July. And then we have tiny table top versions that shoot too.
Old March 13, 2001, 02:48 PM   #21
Incursion

Newbie Question:

What would one of those cannons do to a modern day APC or M1A2 Abrams?
Old March 13, 2001, 03:45 PM   #22
Hal

Quote:
What would one of those cannons do to a modern day APC or M1A2 Abrams?
amuse the crew?
Old March 13, 2001, 05:40 PM   #23
Jamie Young

Maybe knock there drinks over or give them a thumping head ache. Actually they'll probable do the same things those Iraq tanks did to our tanks........... Nothin !
Old March 13, 2001, 05:59 PM   #24

I am not even sure it would chip the paint.
Old March 13, 2001, 08:09 PM   #25
riddleofsteel

We built our cannon out of hot rolled steel tubing (tube wall aprox 1.25" thick)that weighs around 200 lbs. Barrel has a support welded on each side that attaches it to a four wheeled oak carrage with rubber tires. The breech of the cannon is a round piece of 2" steel that is held in place with 10 hex head grade 8 bolts that go thru the cap into threaded holes in the tube wall. Between the cap and tube/barrel breech is a 1/4 " copper gasket. Built into the cap is a firing mechanism made from a spring activated lever with a slightly sharpened hammer type head. Ignition is with shot gun primers.
For a bore diameter we chose the same size as a beer/soda can. That way we can make our ammo by cutting the tops out of cans and filling them with wet cement, shot or other nasty materials. The gun uses from 1/4 ounce to 4 ounces of black powder or pyrodex. The report is impressive to say the least. The cannon will roll aprox. 10 to 15 feet when it is fired unless it is tied down. One of our primary targets has been old appliances like refigerators. One struck in the upper 1/3 at 25 yards will flip over backwards.

It sure does make the Fourth of July interesting.

Pulpa est valeo