The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 9, 2001, 05:37 PM   #1
support_six

I am aware of the concept of trigger control during aiming and up to the point the hammer falls, but have never seen addressed the control of the trigger during and after recoil. Is it recommended that one immediately allows the trigger to return to it's resting position with the finger either touching or not touching? ...or is it best continue to squeeze the trigger to it's stop, through the recoil -- sort of like follow-through with a baseball bat or golf club?

In other words, after recoil, while I'm still looking at the target, where should the trigger and my finger be?

I took my Beretta 96FS out last week and fired a couple of hundred rounds. Even during the first 50, I noticed my trigger finger getting sore. I think I was unconsciously trying to let the trigger return spring push the trigger shoe forward too soon and it was taking a beating as the recoil was pushing the weapon backward while the I was allowing the return spring to move forward.

Thanks for your consideration.

Bruce Woodbury
Old March 9, 2001, 07:01 PM   #2
mikey357

Good Question! I had to think about it for a second...on my SA autos, I keep the trigger "pulled",or all the way to the rear, until I am cognizant of the front sight being back on target following recoil...I then "let it forward" and fire the next shot...some may do it differently, and the SA autopistol is NOT what I shoot most often...THAT would be the DA revolver. With the DA revolver, RELEASING the trigger SMOOTHLY following a shot is about as important as the trigger PULL itself...the "smoothness"-or LACK of smoothness-of the return of the trigger to its "forward" position can affect the position of the front sight--and therefore,the position of the gun--relative to the target...the closer the front sight ends up--after recoil--to where it was before the shot was fired, the less "adjusting" you have to do before a second shot can be fired, and the quicker you can fire that follow-up shot and have it be a "good" shot...Wish I had thought of it first, but it comes to me from Ed McGivern via Jerry Miculek...FWIW....mikey357
Old March 9, 2001, 08:10 PM   #3
Legionnaire

According to Greg Hamilton and John Holschen (InSights Training), a "shot" is not complete until your sights are back on target and the trigger is reset and staged (i.e., you've put enough tension into the trigger that it is about to break). To do this quickly with my semiautos, I reset the trigger during recoil. I try not to allow my finger to actually lose contact with the trigger, but only let off far enough for the trigger to reset.
Old March 9, 2001, 09:06 PM   #4
DAKODAKID

I personally don't reset my trigger until after my sights are back on target.
I have found that if I "reset" my trigger while the gun is recoiling I sometimes accidently re-fire the gun before the sights are back on target, but that's just me....
Alot of top pro shooters re-set the trigger during recoil
and this lets them:
1. get a 2nd shot off quicker
2. prevents them from putting too much "torque" at the end of the trigger stroke which can make the gun dive down.

Then again, alot of Pro shooters "slap" the trigger when they shoot.
Experiment and find out what works best for you....

Old March 9, 2001, 09:22 PM   #5
Russell92

whether you hold the trigger back also depends on what gun you are firing. i shoot glocks more than any other type of pistols and holding the trigger back after the shot is fired and during recoil is not only the best way to fire them but the "correct" way according to how glocks are supposed to be shot. one thing i love about glock triggers is how short the trigger reset is. after every shot i hold the trigger back, then i line up my sights for the next shot and i release the trigger only a little bit (about 1/8") till i feel a click so i know the trigger is reset and then i fire again. if i let the trigger go forward after the shot is fired i would then have to pull the trigger back the full 1/2" for each shot. i can shoot faster and a lot more accurately this way. i've noticed this technique also works well with 1911s.

however with DA pistols such as my Beretta 92FS the trigger reset is longer than on glocks. i still don't think you should take your finger completely off the trigger between shots because then you have to get you finger correctly indexed on the trigger for each shot which takes more time. i subconciously hold the trigger back after each shot no matter what gun i'm shooting and this still works well with my Beretta and other DA pistols but i could probaly shoot them just as well if i let the trigger go.

do whatever feels comfortable and works for you.
Old March 9, 2001, 10:08 PM   #6
M1911

Your finger should stay in contact with the trigger between shots. Otherwise, you'll tend to "slap" the trigger and pull the sights off target. As to when you reset the trigger and how far you let it reset -- that's a matter of individual style. Some folks "ride the sear" -- i.e., only let the trigger go far enough to reset. Others let the trigger go forward to its full travel. Riding the sear takes less time. But also may risk not fully resetting the trigger under stress. Choose what works for you.

M1911
Old March 11, 2001, 11:03 PM   #7
VonFatman

I'm with Dakodakid on this one...I hold back until I'm ready (on target) for the next shot...I too have found myself sending a premature round by doing things too quickly (too quickly for me that is). I also agree that it should be your individual style which dictates the proceedure. Be for-warned, sending a round out the end of the barrel prior to "plan" tends to make you a bit slower.
My .02
Old March 14, 2001, 11:09 AM   #8
support_six

I appreciate all the replys. With my Beretta 96 I find if I try to reset the trigger during recoil I just bang my finger up till it hurts, besides not doing much for accuracy. I will try to hold the trigger back when I shoot this Saturday, then when comfortable with that, start to reset a bit earlier.

Thanks for the good info!

Bruce Woodbury