The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 5, 2001, 06:16 PM   #1
Jhp147

I posted a query about a High Standard .22, a DA 9-shot called a Sentinel, and got info that it was listed at about $175, little or no collector value. Only trouble was, the book the guy was looking at listed only 2 1/2 and 4 inch barrels. When I got my hands on the gun, I confirmed it is indeed a 6 inch bbl. Instead of the being the Sentinel that I was picturing, it is marked "Sentinel Deluxe" on the barrel. It is still a 9 shot DA. It has no bbl. underlug like I seem to recall the old Sentinels having, just a bare ejector rod. It has SN 1923XXX, and below the SN is what looks like some type of model designation on the frame, R-107. It has slight blue wear at the muzzle and a cylinder ring, but otherwise looks like it just came out of the case. When was it made? What could I sell it for? Was the Sentinel Deluxe the name for the 6 incher, or what? I don't really need this gun, but it is sure in slick shape for an old revolver. Thanks a lot!
Old March 5, 2001, 09:04 PM   #2
James K
Staff

IIRC, the Sentinel Deluxe had adjustable sights and a "target" trigger, and I think were a bit better polished. They came with 4" and 6" barrels. Prices in run a little ($20 or so) more than the standard Sentinel, but neither is a high demand item. I can't help on the date of manufacture of yours, but they made the Deluxe from 1965-1974.

Jim
Old March 5, 2001, 09:34 PM   #3
Steven Mace

Jhp147, your High Standard Deluxe Sentinel was made in 1968. And I agree with everything Jim said, they aren't in high demand. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old March 6, 2001, 05:52 AM   #4
Jhp147

Thanks!

Appreciate it, guys. FYI the gun has fixed sights, which I also thought was a bit odd. He only wants 125 for it, but I just don't want or need it. It is an interesting piece though, mainly due to the age coupled with lack of wear.