The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2001, 09:23 PM   #1
colorado

Anyone loading Rainier bullets? I'm thinking of loading their 230 g. FMJ, 230 g. JHP and 250 g. FP in my 45 auto? Pros and Cons? Thanks...
Old February 9, 2001, 09:30 AM   #2
LIProgun

I've been using them now for several years in those calibers where I don't want to use, or can't find, cast lead bullets. The early Ranier plated bullets were cosmetically awful (pockmarked) and gave me horrible accuracy.

The more recent genesis ("Restrike") are virtually indistinguishable from many other plated or jacketed bullets, and I am very pleased with them.

About the only thing I'll note is that some of the bullets you'd expect to have a cannelure (e.g., .357" 125 grain FP) don't have a cannelure. So I taper crimp these in .357 Magnum loads instead of roll crimping. For autopistol loads it is not an issue.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old February 9, 2001, 09:49 AM   #3
tonyz

I Agree with LIProgun.

I have used there bullets for a couple years. Now that they are ("Restriked") IMO they are one of the best. Berrys also makes a very good bullet at a Cheaper cost.

Berrys URL http://www.berrysmfg.com/

Tony Z
Old February 9, 2001, 01:10 PM   #4
Calif Hunter

I have used their 200 gr HP's in my .45 Commander with very good results, and they are nice-looking bullets. I can't say the same for the .41 FP bullets...irregular crimp groove that is very shallow. This is not good at all for powders like H-110 or W-296. It seems dumb to me to make a bullet for use in a magnum handgun without a crimping groove, given the popular use of very slow powders in these calibers. But, again, the "re-strike" bullets for non-magnum calibers look and shoot very well.
Old February 9, 2001, 07:47 PM   #5
WalterGAII

I used Rainiers for years, until I discovered West Coast plated bullets. I'd guess that West Coast and Berry bullets are pretty close in quality/price, but West Coast uses thicker plating than does Berry's. Rainier's plating is the thinnest of the three.

National Bullet Company plated bullets aren't really plated, they're "copper washed", and will lead your barrel.
Old February 9, 2001, 11:22 PM   #6
colorado

How do they expand and penetrate? Since they aren't really jacketed they shouldn't have the jacket separation problem right? I was thinking of loading the 250 g FP in .45 Super at 1000 fps for hunting and self defense against bears/lions, what do you folks think?
Old February 10, 2001, 12:38 AM   #7
poperszky

I started using Rainiers earlier this year and have shot several thousand of them so far. I like them, they are almost as cheap as lead, but I don't have to worry about leading.
Old February 10, 2001, 05:36 PM   #8
Bob C

My experience with the 200 SWC .45 Ranier's in a .45 acp was not satifactory. I had jams with four different guns, including a H&K USP which never jammed with anything else. In .45 Colt they did OK, but due to the absence of a crimping groove, I did not go with heavier than factory loads.

On the other hand, I've fired a lot of National Bullet Company's plated, or washed, bullets lately, and really like them. I've gotten very good results with the 230 flat points in .45 acp, the 240 SWC in .44 magnum, and the 255 SWC in both .45 Colt and .454. I did get slight leading at 1450 fps in the .454, but nothing that was difficult to get out.
Old February 11, 2001, 09:44 AM   #9
Swamp Yankee

I can't speak fot .45 but I have used a lot of Rainier plated bullets in .357 Sig and .38 Special. I have been pleased with them in both applications.
The shop where I pick up most of my supplies started carrying West Coast in addition to Rainier bullets about a year ago. In my experience the West Coast's are much more consistant in terms of plating thickness and manufacture than the Rainiers. Not to say the Rainiers are bad but I use them only if the West Coasts are not available.
Take Care
Old February 11, 2001, 01:31 PM   #10
WESHOOT2

I have used over 100,000 Rainier bullets in multiple calibers; superior accuracy when loaded correctly, but NOT for high velocity.