The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2001, 04:36 PM   #1
Poodleshooter

At a range session the other night, my brother in law was running some WinClean .357 through his Smith 586, when it locked up! He managed to pop the cylinder open to find a nice clean case with a partially backed out primer (about 1/3 out, maybe less). All the primers on these loads were EXTREMELY flattened. I can only assume that this was as a result of the larger flash hole. I've only seen folks on the board mention use of lower pressure auto cartridges in the WinClean line. Has anyone else had problems with them in higher pressure cartridges? (I'm not too familiar with the line or what cartridges are produced in it). I never buy factory ammo, but this is going to make me hesitant to load using the WinClean brass!!
Old February 8, 2001, 09:30 PM   #2
Keith J

yucky

Most of the time this is due to a sticky chamber and it can happen with regular brass, especially after firing a few .38 Specials and switching w/o cleaning to .357.

The easy solution is to use a range rod to tap the case against the breechface and force the primer back into its pocket.

Pressure is equal regardless of flashhole size. There isn't enough volume in the primer to cause a pressure drop over the flashhole.
Old February 9, 2001, 06:08 PM   #3
Cheapo

Is this 586 one covered by the recall? It specifically applied to/only was a problem with high-pressure ammo. Ammo that *was* SAAMI-spec.
Old February 9, 2001, 07:44 PM   #4
tonyz

I have reloaded many 1000 of rounds using Winchester Win-Clean Brass with no Problem's.

Tony Z
Old February 12, 2001, 04:33 PM   #5
Poodleshooter

Recall???? What recall on 586's? Details????
Old February 13, 2001, 12:41 AM   #6
Cheapo

Recall

As I recall, the problem surfaced around 1990 in some police departments. Some elements of the dimensions of the firing pin bushing and the hammer nose would allow a tiny bit of metal in the primers of one specific brand of .357 Mag ammo to "flow" back into the firing pin hole.

The result was one shot -- total lockup.

S&W offered a free (?) fix, but only if you dropped the gun off to an authorized servicing gunsmith.

I can look up more particular details if you wish. Let's see, do those bums have a web site? For you, a fellow TFL'r, I'll go even THERE!!

Will report back by the end of the week...