The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2001, 10:07 AM   #1
Coolray

RamShot Powder

Went to a new store yesterday,the guys got good prices on 115gr FMJ 9mm $35-1000 he also has a powder mad bu RamLine He says it's great han any body tried it? I have been using W231,Unique, and Titegroup I like all of them. He said this powder is not petroleum based,so it is super clean.
Old February 7, 2001, 06:36 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

Probably RamShot you're thinking of. I've only seen it once here in the east.
Old February 7, 2001, 07:23 PM   #3
tonyz

Here is there web site. I have seen it at the gun show's but don't know anyone who has used it.

http://www.ramshot.com/pages/frames2.htm

Tony Z
Old February 7, 2001, 09:06 PM   #4
MikeFromIowa

I have used the Ramshot TrueBlue in some .40 loads. Very spicy, but lots of fun. Anyway the real neat part about this powder is that it is really, really, really fine grained. It looks totaly cool, and seemed very clean, but I only shot 150 rounds so I can't be sure. I think that Ultramax Ammunition may use some of Ramshots powder in thier .45ACP loads, but thats just from observing the powder out of one round. If you want more info, call them up, they are really friendly folks from Miles City, Montana, and they were very kind when answering my questions.
Only downsides are that their powder is more expensive here(Iowa) than others, and the reloading data is limited when compared to the big hitters like 231 and Bullseye.

-Mike From Iowa
Old February 8, 2001, 10:37 AM   #5
Glocknroll

In the October issue of Rifles Handloading there was a very favorable evaluation of Ramshot rifle powders. I have not used it myself though.

http://www.geocities.com/glocknroll40/
Old February 8, 2001, 11:24 AM   #6
Chap

Coolray,

Which store did you find those bullets? The best prices I've found are down in Lewiston at Lolo's. It looks like they sell speer's 2nds in bulk. 115 tmj 9mm are 3.99/100, 147 GD 9mm are 4.99/100. 158 tmj 38/357 4.49/100. They have others as they get them.

chap
Old February 8, 2001, 02:56 PM   #7
houndawg

That powder looks very interesting. I might just have to see if I can get my hands on some.
Old February 8, 2001, 11:57 PM   #8
Coolray

Chap,
The Store is called Pro Load in Post Falls 208-773-9444. I get to Lewiston twice A Month Where is Lolo"s? I generally stop in at Black Sheep Downtown. I'm headed to Lewiston Thursday the 15th.
Old February 9, 2001, 02:51 AM   #9
Chap

Lolo Sporting Goods (guns, reloading, fly fishing)
1026 Main LEWISTON ID 83501-1842
(208) 743-1031

It is on Main street eastbound, just west of where it splits from 2 way to one way. Most of their prices are pretty high, except for the speer 2nds in bulk. So far I can only find cosmetic problems with these bulk bullets. And only 5% sales tax.

Thanks for the info on ProLoad. I've seen their premium ammo advertised and at shows, but didn't know that they sold compoents.

Oh, by the way, Lolo's has a good price on Red Dot in bulk. Take down a container to fill for this if you are interested.

Good luck
Old February 10, 2001, 01:49 AM   #10
Bill Adair

Coolray,

I've been using Ramshot True Blue for almost a year now, and love the stuff!

Nothing, meters better, or burns more consistantly, in my 45 Colt and 357 magnums! I intend to try some in my 9mm's next, but suspect one of their faster powders might be better.

Try it, you will surely like how clean it burns, and how perfectly it meters.

Bill
Old February 10, 2001, 01:01 PM   #11
pingun.45

I am using Ramshot "Shilloutte" powder as a replacement for Winchester Action Pistol. It miraculously has identical loading data from the old Winchester load books and the new Ramshot book, from OAL, test bbl, and bullet weight and velocities. Wondered where the tons of left over powder went....Good stuff, if not a little pricy. Be safe, DC