The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 5, 2001, 11:41 AM   #1
R Varn

My wife told me that she had heard that things were going to hell in Macon, GA. Kids committing rape and armed robbery and a Mayor unwilling to do anything about it.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Rob
Old February 5, 2001, 12:08 PM   #2
Gary L. Griffiths

If I recall correctly (they say your memory is the second thing to go, and I forget the first), there was some controversy in Macon recently when the mayor issued a "shoot to kill" order to police due to a rash of home invasions. Something in the article about a former mayor having done the same thing in the 50s, and the obligatory story about some mom whose kid got shot. Seemed like it stopped the crime wave, though.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own personal safety; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths, Chief Instructor, Advanced Force Tactics, Inc. (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old February 5, 2001, 12:30 PM   #3
R Varn

Thanks Gary,

Anyone else?

Old February 5, 2001, 02:10 PM   #4
Hawkman

My sister lives there. There is a very brazen gang operating. In one recent case they held up Rio Bravo restaurant. Took a couple of women into the restroom and raped them while the others robbed customers, etc.

My wife has a carry permit but rarely does. She was in Macon last week on business and carried 24/7
Old February 5, 2001, 09:27 PM   #5
Bud Helms
Staff

I live about 18 miles south of Macon. The local radio station that carries Rush and Boortz is out of Macon.

Macon's new mayor, C. Jack Ellis, aggreed up to support Andrew Cuomo's (former HUD Secretary) S&W agreement with the illegal contracting exercise of favoring S&W products over others in reward for their traitorous behavior. There, I've been wanting to trash him over that.

A couple of years back, the Macon Chief of Police retired or was fired (I don't remember). It was before the present Mayor was elected. The replacement was a retired FBI agent named Vasquez. Chief Vasquez got into hot water with the new mayor about six weeks ago and got fired. He was accused of trying to recruit the Mayor's driver to spy on the Mayor. He has subsequently taken a polygraph test and passed. He also got $60k or $80K (again, can't remember) separation pay. But the mayor is adamant and Vasquez is out.

No sooner than Vasquez was out of his office, the crime spree started. You know, wild dogs smell meat and come on the run. I couldn't list the incidents. Armed robberies mostly. Convenience stores, restaurants, gas stations ... The most famous so far was an incident at the Macon Rio Bravo. Just before closing three men and a woman came in and held the place up. But they didn't leave. They hung around way after closing, drinking and having a good time. 'Took three women customers in the back and raped them.

You see, Georgia is a shall issue state for CCW. One of the best states in which to carry. But, guess what? You can't carry in an establishment that serves alcoholic beverages for purposes of consumption on the premises. A restaurant that serves liquor ... I guess no one was carrying that night.

It is true that a Chief of Police of Macon, some years back, declared "open season" on robbers and burglars. The short crime wave stopped in its tracks. He is still castigated for it by some, praised by others.

Gang activity is on the rise. Teens assaulting other teens. Teens raping each other. Home invasions. Street robberies. Funny thing, car-jacking is still low. That's because a few years back, Georgia passed a statute that included one's automobile as an extension of the domicile. Car jacking's have just about disappeared in GA. As a matter of fact, you don't have to have a license to carry in your home or any of its "extensions" . Yo' ride!

As another matter of fact, 18 miles south of Macon, here in Warner Robins, we have no crime wave. Different counties too.
Old February 5, 2001, 09:43 PM   #6
WAGCEVP

there's a rash of robberies going on in Maacon Lately.... Neal Boortz brought up the fact that a similar situation in MAcon happened a few yrs ago. He talked about the mayor then makinng a public statement that the police were to shoot anybody holding a gun on any macom citizens. That stopped the crime overnight..... The present mayor isnt too happy about it. I guess he's feeling the heat.