The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2001, 09:53 AM   #1
solo

I have been considering getting the Lee Load All press for doing some shotgun reloading. This press is priced very cheap at $40. Is this a good and reliable press? Should I save up and get a MEC instead?
Old February 4, 2001, 10:45 AM   #2
ea2

I have one (the Lee), and it works, but it is a mulit-station single stage press. It loads one at a time, and it is mostly plastic.

A primer feeding tray makes priming a bit nicer(additonal $10), but is prone to crudding up. The Lee comes with an assortment of shot and powder bushings (so you won't have to purchase per load requirement), but you cannot change out bushings unless the press is empty (both shot and powder). I've had mixed success with getting all of my crimps to look like factory, but I think it has to do with my rythm (once I get in a groove, they look good).

I'm and occasional shotgunner, so the Lee was a sensible and economical choice for me (hate to throw away empties).

If you're a big-time frequent clay shooter, you'd probably be better off with the MEC (which I think stands for Mayville Engineering Company).

Oh, and if you want to load buckshot, you can't charge the shot with the LEE (I don't know if MEC is different or not). With the Lee, you have to count pellets and place by hand.
Old February 4, 2001, 05:30 PM   #3
Contender

Ditto on ea2's comments.

I've had mine for about 20 years however, I too am an occasional shotgunner and like the presses simplicity of setup.

If you intend to be a Joe Trap and Skeet. Get one of the Mec's for your endeavor. Having said that, 40 bucks isn't a bad "mistake" to make if it doesn't serve your purposes.

Have Fun
Old February 4, 2001, 06:10 PM   #4
Swamp Yankee

Broke a lot of clay pigeons with shells from a Lee Loadall. I still have and use it.

It is not fast, but excellent shells can be produced with one. Once it's set up 100 shells in an evening is certainly acheivable.

Set up is a pain as emptying both the powder and shot is required to change loads. A powder scale is not an option, but a must have when setting up the Loadall. The chart which came with mine listing what powder bushing to use to deliver the appropriate charge was completely inaccurate. My first loads using the suggested bushing sounded like a cap pistol not a 12 gauge. At least they erred in the right direction.

Once set up for a load you like, I'd recommend leaving it alone. The Loadall's main drawback is changing loads.

Take Care
Old February 6, 2001, 01:09 AM   #5
saands

I bought one and loaded with it for 10 years. Then I gave it to an employee who is still using it after three years (He keeps supplying me with boxews of shells, too!) It isn't a $300 loader, but it doesn't cost $300, either! I think it is a great way to start.
Old February 6, 2001, 04:03 AM   #6
Bowser

2 quick questoins.

1. Does the LOADALL have a resizing step, or do you have to resize with a seperate tool?

2. How do you clean fired hulls?

Thanks,

Bowser.
Old February 6, 2001, 11:46 AM   #7
Unkel Gilbey

To Bowser,

The LoadAll uses a metal ring that is forced over the shell to resize the base during decapping. The next step of the process (seating the new primer) also removes the sizing ring.

Not knowing what anyone else does, I clean dirt and sand and funk from my hulls with water, and then let them sit outside for a day in the hot AZ sun. This gets rid of the excess H2O. Since I don't deal with fiber type base wads, this isn't a problem.

To All,

Have had a 12 Ga LoadAll for about 6 months and ditto all comments. Inattention on your part will mangle a few crimps, and the primer feeder gives me fits and starts from time to time, but what do you want for $40.?

For my purposes, she works just fine, and when I'm ready to upgrade, then I'll have at least learned the basics with this press.

Unkel Gilbey