The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2001, 08:56 PM   #1
Swamp Yankee

I recently purchased a new set of RCBS Dies. What happened to the split locking ring? The nut with the brass set screw just doesn't cut it. For the time being I've cannibalized the lock rings off an old set of infrequently used dies.
I've checked catalogs and websites but have not had any luck in finding replacement locking rings. Other than buying old used die sets, do any of you good people know a source for the old RCBS Locking Rings?
As always thanks in advance for the responses.
Old January 31, 2001, 11:16 PM   #2
dick w. holliday

split rings

i like you do not care much for the brass set screw. after a few good tightenings their history. i think someone told me sometime back to replace the set screw w/steel one and put a lead shot pellet under it. that works OK..Dick
Old February 1, 2001, 07:43 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

The Forster/Bonanza Co-Ax rings work perfectly; about $3-4 from Midway.
Old February 1, 2001, 10:51 AM   #4
MADISON

Die Rings that Work

Over the last 30 years of reloading I have used the RCBS/Lyman style that relies on a piece of lead shot to hold the die in place. Also the round split ring. The one I like best is the current HORNADY. There are people who will sell you these ring for $2.00 each.
Old February 1, 2001, 06:29 PM   #5
Shawn Dodson

I replaced the brass set-screws with steel ones from the hardware store on a few of my RCBS dies. Works okay. The wrenching flats on the brass set-screws stripped whenever I tried to tighten them enough to hold the lock nut in place.

I intend to replace all my RCBS set-screw lock nuts with Hornady split-ring lock nuts. They're not cheap, about $2.55 each, plus shipping. They can be ordered from Hornady's web site.
Old February 2, 2001, 09:51 AM   #6
ChrisW

I too replaced all the brass set screws with allen head screws. I had to go to a speacialty store to find them, but bought enougt to last me when I start buying more dies for different calibers. I spent like $.15 each and bought like 25 or so. I have been using them now for 4 years and they work great.

ChrisW