The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2001, 08:57 AM   #1
Tree Rat

Have a Dillon 550B set-up for 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP.
The Dillon resize die does not do a good job in resizing 9mm and .40S&W brass shot from Glocks. Does the Lee Factory Crimp die also perform a full length resizing function as well as apply the crimp? and if so, would this resizing function be an additional function to that performed by the resize/decap die in station #1? I'm not looking to replace the Dillon crimp die as much as I am looking to improve the resizing operation. Tree Rat.
Old January 31, 2001, 09:04 AM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

The resizing ring on Factory Crimp dies is to correct any bulging that may occur while crimping. It will assure that your rounds will (should) chamber, but relying on it to do the resizing, I don't think that will work.

Bill
Old January 31, 2001, 09:05 AM   #3
fgerardij

Tree Rat:

To the best of my knowledge, yes, the Lee Factory Crimp die *does* full-length size your cases. I use them on .45 acp and .40S&W and there is "resistance and friction" as the die travels the length of the case.

I started with Leedies, and added their factory carbide dies, I crimped/bullet seated all on die #3. A friend suggested trying the Factory Crimp Die and backing out the previous die so that it only seats the bullet. So far it works nice and have heard good things about them.

More experienced reloaders, I'd like to hear your opinions.

fgerardij
Old February 5, 2001, 12:40 AM   #4
dick w. holliday

lee factory crimp die

i've got the factory crimp dies and i would not count on them to resize at all. the crimp dies i am familiar with will put a three or four sectioned crimp around the mouth of the casing....i also load a bunch of 9mm and use to load a bunch of 40...i suspect the problem you are having is at the base of the casing where the die does not reach. have you ever noticed any of your brass starting to look like a belted magnum rifle case?? that's a combination of a high pressure casing like the 9mm/40/38super and the die not being able to reach down that far.....you've proably got a single stage loader(i hope) take a shell holder and take metal off the top where it contacts the bottom of the sizing die. therefore more of your shell is going up into the die. i also use spraylube on the casings before sizing (Carbide or not). you won't be working your brass as hard that way. also your cut down shell holder will last longer-i've had several tear off the area that holds the shell in. hope this helps..Dick
Old February 5, 2001, 07:48 PM   #5
Patrick Graham

That bulge at the bottom of the case is the carbide die working the brass down. This warning came with all the Redding carbide pistol dies I've bought.

"Important note.
Carbide pistol sizing dies are not designed to full length size cases. Adjust the die to size only that portion of the case that has been expanded during firing. On some cases an undesirable ring or belt may appear near the base if the sizing die is incorrectly adjusted. This may weaken the case and is not desirable"

My first reaction to this was "SAY WHAT!?!?!?!"

But the more I thought about it the more it makes sense. Without a real slick lube the carbide die will work the brass down towards the base.
Old February 5, 2001, 08:34 PM   #6
WalterGAII

Lee handgun Factory Crimp Dies don't put a sectioned crimp on handgun ammo; they put a uniform roll or modified taper crimp, depending on the caliber that you're loading. The Lee rifle factory crimp dies do use a collet to put a sectioned crimp on rifle cartridges. The rifle and handgun dies don't work the same way.

The Lee handgun factory crimp die does size pretty far down on the case, but it won't resize the case as much as does a decapper/sizer die.
Old February 5, 2001, 08:40 PM   #7
wolfz

I have many different guns of common calibers and the first thing I learned when reloading on the 550B is that after completing the reload, all pistol chambers are not created equal. Without the use of a Lee Factory crimp die I would have to segregate my reloads by specific pistol. With the crimp die, all reloads are back to factory dimensions. The only Dillon crimp die I use is for the 400 Corbon, because they are the only ones to make it.
Old February 6, 2001, 05:42 PM   #8
WalterGAII

Wolf: Where'd you get that info about .400 Cor-Bon? Just about everybody makes dies in .400 Cor-Bon. I have both RCBS and Lee .400 Cor-Bon dies. I prefer the Lee sizer/decapper and the RCBS seater/crimper die. I always cannelure bullets that I load in .400 Cor-Bon.
Old February 6, 2001, 06:08 PM   #9
wolfz

walterGII,

I'm talking about a separate crimp die. When I used the seater die to do the crimp (it has to be a STRONG taper crimp or better yet a roll crimp) the cases would bulge and not chamber right. I have both Dillon and RCBS 3 die sets and they both gave me the same grief. Now my success with this cartridge is 100% (using the separate Dillon crimping die). wolfz
Old February 6, 2001, 07:24 PM   #10
WalterGAII

Thanks for clarifying. I have at times used my Lee die for seating and the RCBS die for crimping .400 Cor-Bon. I finally figured out that I could seat and crimp with the RCBS die and still get 100% reliability. I've shot five or six thousand rounds of .400 Cor-Bon through my G21, something less than that through my G30. Kind of got bored with .400 Cor-Bon, when I went to .40 Super. (Another little "trick" that I use for both bottlenecks is that I post-size with a .45 ACP Lee Factory Crimp Die, with the crimp screw backed out.)