The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2001, 07:38 PM   #1
petej88

This was not a squib load.
I pulled the trigger. It sounded like a weak snap cap. I don't believe the slide moved.

I removed the magazine and then racked the slide so I could examine the brass. It did have a primer dent.

I disassembled the pistol and a bullet was lodged a couple inches into the barrel.

RIGHT NEXT TO THE BULLET WAS THE NORMAL AMOUNT OF POWDER THAT WAS IN THE CASE PRIOR TO BEING EJECTED.

I pounded the bullet out and made sure all the powder was cleared. I then inspected the pistol and then started firing again with no more issues.

I'm guessing that I may have some bad powder. Or, there is one other possibility. When I spray lubed the 357 SIG brass, the nozzle malfunctioned and squirted a couple times instead of misting. Possibly a case might have gotten a bunch of lube inside and reacted with the powder by keeping it damp?

Any ideas are welcome.

Old January 27, 2001, 08:42 PM   #2
tstr

Is it possible there was a bit of corncob media blocking the flash hole?

If you deprimed them after tumbling, then that's probably not the problem. But I tumbled some deprimed brass and had to clear more than 30% of the flash holes before loading them.

Just a thought

Tstr
Old January 27, 2001, 11:29 PM   #3
Rob01

I use Hornady one shot lube and it's gotten into the cases before with no problems. What lube where you using? Usually most of the spray lubes dry to the touch in about a minute and wouldn't hurt the powder at all.
Old January 28, 2001, 12:37 AM   #4
Bottom Gun

Could be you filled a case with lube, but here's another thought:
Are you taper crimping your ammo?
Some powders such as H110 have a coating and rely upon the pressure generated from a crimp to ignite reliably.
If it happens again, either increase your crimp slightly or choose another powder.

Some years ago, I picked up some Hogden H110 in my quest for greater velocity, and loaded some .44 ammo. I was told to use a heavy crimp because the powder had a coating of some kind and that it needed the extra pressure generated by the heavy crimp to ignite the powder.
I didn't believe it. After all, how could you have a case full of powder fail to ignite? I used a light crimp instead to avoid working the brass excessively.
Well sure enough, I ended up having to pound three slugs out of the bore. The primer ignited and was enough to kick the bullet into the bore, but not enough to ignite the H110 powder. I took the rest of the ammo I loaded and increased the crimp and never had another incident. Strange, eh?
Once the H110 was gone though, I never bought any more and went back to using Unique.
Old January 28, 2001, 08:00 PM   #5
petej88

Thanks for the input.

I personally think that two out of the 600 cases I lubed somehow got extra fluid into the case as mentioned above. With a normal fine mist I've never had a problem. The powder from the second case was actually one solid pellet of powder. I could actually pick of the pellet and then crumble it with my fingers. Weird. I use Dillon lube by the way, along with a Midway polisher liquid for the tumbler.

I also liked the info on cleaning the brass and looking out for corn/walnet kernels in the brass. And the thought of the tight crimp for certain powders is interesting. For the 357 SIG, I do indeed use a strong crimp.

thanks folks.
Old January 30, 2001, 03:29 PM   #6
leapfrog

For the reason that tstr pointed out, I don't use corncob media - walnut only.
Old February 9, 2001, 10:57 PM   #7
Troy

I had a Federal American Eagle .223 round fail to fire with a good primer strike. This was the first centerfire Federal round that had ever failed, and I assumed it had a bad primer. I recently found it and decided to pull it apart to make a dummy round. As I was pouring out the powder, I noticed a rattling sound. After "removing all the powder", I got a flashlight and took a better look. There was a big hardened chunk of powder in the case, like a lump of sugar. I managed to get it out, and deprimed the case only to find that the primer had indeed fired. It appears now that the primer didn't ignite that big lump of powder, and I suppose it must have been right up against the primer.

I'm guessing that water, lube, or something similar must have gotten in the case during the loading process and caused the problem. This ammo came out of a clean, dry factory box, and had sealed primers, so it wasn't contaminated while I had it.

Just one of those things, I guess.

-Troy