The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 21, 2014, 11:37 AM   #26
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage99
I find the so called AI chambers worthless in terms of longer case life.

Brass fails for me when the neck wears out or splits.

I never have failures at the expansion web unless of course the FL die is set wrong or the chamber has excessive headspace.

AI chambers are a waste of time and money and hurt resale value.
You must be running pretty mild loads then? If you have to trim brass you'll eventually get a case head separation. The brass that your trimming has to come from somewhere and it can really only flow in one direction. Yes setting your FL die to only neck size and only bump the shoulder back will increase case life.

If your splitting necks then you're work hardening the brass from reloading and firing. Getting set up to anneal your brass every few firings will prevent you from splitting the necks in the future. I have a buddy that bought one of those fancy case annealing wheels, he can process several hundred pieces an hour and he'll do a run for me when I need it. There are services out there as well that'll do it for you as well if you have at least 100 pieces of brass.
Old August 23, 2014, 09:17 AM   #27
F. Guffey

Quote:
You must be running pretty mild loads then? If you have to trim brass you'll eventually get a case head separation. The brass that your trimming has to come from somewhere and it can really only flow in one direction. Yes setting your FL die to only neck size and only bump the shoulder back will increase case life.
We have case stretch? We have flow? Or, Do we have stretch and flow?

Quote:
I never have failures at the expansion web unless of course the FL die is set wrong or the chamber has excessive headspace.
I have chambers that have excessive length between the shoulder and the bolt face, one has an additional .011" beyond go-gage length, that is .002" longer than a field reject length chamber. I have an exemption, my firing pins are killer firing pins, they do not drive the case forward to the shoulder of the chamber. My primers are crushed before the shoulder of the case can get to the shoulder of the chamber.

Correction, I do not assume the shoulder of the case can get to the shoulder of the chamber.

F. Guffey