The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 6, 2014, 10:25 AM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

Favorite rimfires and why? (including longguns and handguns)

It just occurs to me that the reason a couple of my favorites are my favorites in large part due to the fact that I can dry fire them round the house, due to them having a hammer-block safety, rather than trigger-block safety, and I like to dry fire, to practice sight picture with iron sights, etc.

--Marlin 39, with the cross-bolt hammer block, and
--Heritage Rough Rider, the only revolver I've ever had with a safety

I dry fire the crap out of these, which of course I don't with other rimfires.

Now, granted, the Marlin 39 would probably have been a top 2 or 3 favorite regardless of the type of safety, but now it's the clear top dawg among rimfires, that I won't part with until hands are cold and dead, as they say. The Rough Rider would not really otherwise be a favorite, but for the dry-fire ability.

But what sets your favorite rimfires apart from the others?

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; August 7, 2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:13 AM   #2
weblance

Right now... My Browning Buck Mark is a favorite. I just installed the Browning trigger with overtravel screw, and did the Heggis spring flip, and the trigger is superb. I have lots of rimfires to choose from, and this Browning has the best trigger of all of them.

I am also very fond of my 6" S&W 422, because it has a unique look, and shoots perfectly to the Point of Aim.

I also have a beautiful Ruger 10/22 Deluxe Sporter Limited, that came with a fantastic Circassian Walnut stock. I had Jim Pixley thread, and recrown the barrel, and its a "One Ragged Hole" shooter. Its my Groundhog gun, and in 3 years, it hasnt missed.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:59 AM   #3
BobCat45

Pistol - S&W Model 41 with a telepathically-controlled trigger. Sight picture looks right, it fires - no intervention from me. If I do try to "fire" it intentionally, the shot goes into the 7 ring or worse.

Rifle - Remington 541X from the CMP. I use it to practice offhand at 50 yards on the reduced target. Prone it prints tight little knots so standing, I know that any shot that is not a 10 or an X is a consequence of my clumsiness. It is a marvelous rifle.

I don't dry fire either of them.

http://www.bayourifles.org
TinyURL.com/qgdojvh
Old August 6, 2014, 12:05 PM   #4
Unlicensed Dremel

But would you if they had a hammer-block safety?
Old August 6, 2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Sevens

I have a REAL problem when it comes to making a distinction about why some are "better" or more favorites than others... So my post ends up being a love letter to a handful of mine!

My Ruger Mark II 5.5 stainless Bull Barrel was the first rimfire pistol I bought for myself and I can't remember this pistol EVER letting me down. It runs always, it shoots lights-out and it can improve any range session, no matter if I'm shooting well or shooting poorly before I pull it out. Of all of my "common production guns", this one may be the best handgun I have. As my skills have risen, my desire for a better trigger in this one has appeared, but I can still shoot it extremely well.

My S&W Model 17-6 was my first handgun and a gift from my Mom. It also happens to be an odd transitional in that it's a dash-6 but without the gangly full barrel underlug which I much prefer to the newer 17's. It's not as much fun to shoot as my pistols, but it is deadly accurate and a genuine pride & joy.

My '52 Colt Challenger was purchased because my Dad had one and my brother now owns it and I had fond memories of it. The one I snagged a year ago has quite a bit of bluing loss, but WOW, is it a shooter. Pistols built today simply do not "feel" the way this pistol feels, either in trigger pull/break or the feel of the slide gliding across the rails. I am deeply in love with this one.

My GSG 1911-22 is a modern success story, IMO, because it's a low price-point gun made from cheap materials by a hardly known gunmaker and it's enormous fun and it hasn't yet collapsed under the assault I've volleyed at it. Initially, my goal was to shoot it to destruction within the 2-year warranty period but the rimfire ammo crunch crushed those dreams at 4,826 shots fired. The pistol can go a solid 800 rounds before I need to clean it, which is appalling for a rimfire pistol running bulk ammo, IMO. It simply is -NOT- precision accurate like my other favorite rimfire pistols, but the fun factor is high. I do fully expect to shoot this pistol to failure eventually simply because of the materials from which it is constructed.

All of the above are my favorite rimfires!
Old August 6, 2014, 12:57 PM   #6
RickB

The one that I "enjoy" the most, as in shoot the most, is a circa 1950 Colt .22-.45 conversion on an Auto Ordnance frame that built for the job.
It's a fun gun, with a familiar feel.
The one that I want to like the most, but have hardly shot due to ammo availability and pricing, is an ATI StG44.
I have my dad's old Marlin 39A, and a Ruger 10/22 (doesn't everyone?), but they don't get much range time, either.
Old August 6, 2014, 01:06 PM   #7
psyfly

Favorite rimfire handgun is my High-Standard Citation (M107) Made in Hamden CT, in 1968:

Why?
1.) It is a replacement, as exact as I’ve been able to manage, for the first gun I ever bought myself with my own hard-earned dollars (79 of them, to be exact) down at the local furniture store in 1960.
2.) It, like the original which was stolen from me in a burglary in 1984, makes a hole pretty much exactly where I’m looking and pretty much without my having to think about it.

Most fun: My new Ruger Shopkeeper. It’s just so dang cute!

I have more rimfires and, with a couple of exceptions, they are all fun to shoot.

My favorite rimfire of all, however, doesn't function anymore, and I don't care. It is a Hamilton Boy's rifle which my grandmother used to bring cottontails home for supper from our wanderings about dusk when I was four or five years old. I will always remember her teaching me how to prepare them for the skillet.

Best,

Will
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shopkeeper with Hunter holster NS.jpg (80.3 KB, 208 views)
Old August 6, 2014, 02:34 PM   #8
lamarw

I have two Browning Semi-Auto .22 LR rifles which are so nice. One is a Belgium Made plain model and the other is a Grade VI which is a beauty. I had wanted one for years and forgot all about it until I acquired these two.

Right now, I am very pleased with my Marlin 917V rifle which is a .17 HMR with a bull barrel. You can even find ammo for it and most likely less expensive than .22 LR.

I no longer own a rimfire handgun.
Old August 6, 2014, 02:38 PM   #9
2damnold4this

My favorite rifle is a CZ452 American in .22lr.
Old August 6, 2014, 03:51 PM   #10
Panfisher

Favorites: Old Ithaca M49 lever action single shot, Ruger 77/22, guess I would to add a Ruger 10/22. All loved for different reasons. Always liked my Ruger Single Six but never could shoot the thing worth a darn.
Old August 6, 2014, 03:56 PM   #11
spacemanspiff

I currently have a Mark II 5.5 bull barrel, Marlin Mod 60, and a CZ 455.
The MkII is a replacement for what I sold off several years ago, and I've regretted it ever since. So far its my favorite 22 handgun, but I do wish to obtain a Buckmark in the future.
I have also owned a Walther P22, did not like that one bit.
As for rifles, I have also owned a Marlin Papoose, that one that breaks down for easy storage. Not a huge fan, it was never able to get that accurate.
The Mod 60, I am 'meh' about. I think I might like it more if I put a scope on it.
The CZ was not the exact model I wanted, I really wanted the one with the long barrel, but I took what I could get since I had the cash. (I actually only had the cash cause I had just sold a Galaxy 4 I had found that no one came back to claim)
So if I find the CZ Ultra Lux somewhere I am buying it.
I am moderately happy with the 455 American I now have, and probably would be in love if I could find the ammo that it loves. So far all I have is bulk ammo thats getting about 1.5-2 moa. I know it can do better!
Old August 6, 2014, 05:08 PM   #12
SHE3PDOG

I enjoy my K-22 is definitely my favorite rimfire handgun, but I haven't shot too many rimfire rifles. I have a CZ 455 awaiting my return, but I have yet to fire it.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old August 6, 2014, 06:04 PM   #13
Rembrandt

Have many rim fires that cover a wide spectrum.....target, hunting, plinking, conversions, customs, etc. If I had to narrow it down to a "favorite".....it would probably be the target models.

For rifles, the Winchester model 52's....

For pistols, the Smith & Wesson 41's...
Old August 6, 2014, 06:15 PM   #14
trg42wraglefragle

CZ 452 American in 17hmr.
Kills small critters dead on the spot every time. Every time I pull the trigger I know the bullet is going right where I want it.
Old August 6, 2014, 07:00 PM   #15
lefteye

My favorite rimfire rifle is my Ruger 77/22 with a walnut stock and blued steel - it is nearly 40 years old but almost looks like it has never been touched. It has a Leupold Vari-X 2 x 7 R.F. Special scope which I bought at the same time. I wanted a Winchester Model 52 but could never find a very nice one for sale at a price I could afford. My favorite rimfire handgun is my Ruger Mk II SS bull barrel. I also have an S & W Model 63 stainless .22 revolver that is nearly 40 years old. I bought the Model 63 at a local gun shop after spending a few hours at a local gun show looking at over-priced used Model 63s. The Rugers make a great pair. I'll never forget (maybe) hunting squirrels on a friend's farm with the rifle and pistol. After taking a couple of squirrels with the rifle I decided it was too easy so I switched to the Mk II and quickly took my limit. I was hunting alone and it was the very best squirrel hunt I have ever experienced.

Last edited by lefteye; August 6, 2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old August 6, 2014, 07:28 PM   #16
Eazyeach

S&W M&P 15-22.
So far the only rimfire pistol I've shot is a k22 masterpiece. Just got a colt woodsman and a colt trooper but I haven't had a chance to shoot em yet.
Old August 6, 2014, 09:40 PM   #17
overthere

Pistol - Ruger Mark III Target - my first pistol, love that gun, very accurate, great balance. PITA to field strip but that is forgiven.

Rifle - Marlin 795. Simple, fun to shoot. $125 when I bought it, what's not to like?
Old August 6, 2014, 10:10 PM   #18
B.L.E.

Because I have always loved classic single shot rifles, that's why.

50 yard 5-shot group with this rifle. I wish this gun had a better trigger though.
Old August 7, 2014, 07:37 AM   #19
Salmoneye

Winchester 1906 S/L/LR

Dead accurate, light, short, handy, and eats anything you stick in it...
Old August 7, 2014, 07:41 AM   #20
Vanya
Staff

For years, my favorite has been my CZ 452; but just lately, I seem to be shooting the 10/22 a lot. It's fun.
Old August 7, 2014, 08:30 AM   #21
4V50 Gary
Staff

CZ-75 with Kadet Conversion.
Colt Diamondback (affordable DA shooting).
Norinco TU 33/40 (looks like a scaled down Mauser 98) for bolt action goodness.
M-2 Springfield. Class. For me the best 22 LR rifle ever made.
Old August 8, 2014, 10:01 AM   #22
hvymax

S&W22A for pistol. The standard fully railed barrels allow many options, extras in different lengths and sight options are available and it only takes the push of a button to swap them.
The Ruger 10-22 is the pimpmaster chamelion of the gun world. Decent plinker out of the box just waiting to become your ultimate image of what a 22 ought to be.
Old August 8, 2014, 10:54 AM   #23
g.willikers

With one exception, the only brand of .22 pistol I've owned is the Ruger.
So far, have never found a reason to have any other kind.
And it can be safely dry fired.
Old August 8, 2014, 02:31 PM   #24
gyvel

My two favs (for decades) have been my Winchester 67 and my Remington 580. They are both "can't miss" rifles, even with my aging eyes.
Old August 8, 2014, 03:00 PM   #25
mannyCA

Ruger singe-six. ‘nuff said!