The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 5, 2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Papa D

Glock 19 vs CZ75 Compact vs. Beretta M9...

Love the CZ75 Compact, but a GLOCK is a GLOCK. And then there is the Beretta M9, way big for a concealed carry piece, but not much heavier than the CZ75 Compact. Parts for M9 and GLOCK are much more plentiful, but neither are as sexy to me as the CZ. Anyone had a chance to shoot all 3? Thoughts on each as an all around "do everything" gun?
Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.
~2 Chronicles 7:14
Old August 5, 2014, 08:18 PM   #2
WVsig

The M9 is not a do everything gun because you cannot carry it easily in the warmer months. It is a good duty sized pistols but if I could only own one that would not be it. Nothing wrong with it but it has limitation due to its size. If I was getting one I would get an Italian one.

The 19 and the CZ compact are a better "I can only have one" gun IMHO. They are big enough to be accurate in most peoples hands. They are small enough that with the right rig they can be carried 24/7 365. Both are can carry 14+1 or more so capacity is really not an issue. This is what makes them a better all around gun IMHO. They are, however, very different in their setup and feel.

I own both and prefer the CZ. I am more of a DA/SA fan and if you get the true CZ compact not the P01 or PCR you have a gun which can be carried cocked and locked or DA/SA. The downside to the CZ is that the trigger will cam. You can feel it on every CZ 75 design. Some guns show more some show less so make sure you at least dry fire the gun you are getting. Parts support is not as high as the Glock but with guys like CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works you can do just about anything you want to your CZ.

All that said I personally think that the Glock 19 is the standard by which all other compact tactical plastic is judged by. It simply works, now that the Gen 3/ Gen 4 extractors are working. They are also cheaper. This was not always the case. CZs used to be $350-$400 OTD these days it is hard to find one under $500. A Glock 19 can still be had for under $500. For example I can get a Gen 4 with standard sights with 4 mags OTD for less than $500.

The other thing to consider is the trigger. Do you prefer a striker fired gun with the same pull every single time or do you like the DA/SA trigger with an option to carry cocked and locked. In the end IHMO the race is between the CZ and the Glock and there is no right or wrong there is only preference. If I was told I could only own and defend myself with one of these 2 I would not feel under gunned or ill equipped. YMMV
Old August 5, 2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

I'd take the Sig P226 over the M9 37 times a day.

I'd also take the Glock 17 over the 19. Feels much better in my hand.

I'm just not a Beretta fan at all.

I'd tell you to go with the Glock, or maybe look into an HK USP/USP Compact/P30
Old August 6, 2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, Papa D!

I really like the looks of the CZ 75 Compact, but must admit to having absolutely no experience with them whatsoever. That said, when I looked for a 9mm carry pistol, I went with the G19, and am happy with that choice. It's small enough and light enough to carry all day (given my usual wardrobe), large enough to shoot well (for me), and ugly enough that a few scratches don't bother me. It's kind of a "jack of all trades, but master of none."

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old August 6, 2014, 10:04 AM   #5
Walt Sherrill

The Beretta is a fine gun and it would be an excellent service or home defense weapon, but not great for concealed carry because of it's size. But, if you think a fullsize gun is OK, either the Glock 17 or the CZ 75B should be considered as well.

If you aren't turned off by polymer, the Glock 19 or 17 are hard to beat, and the 19 is smaller, which makes it a little better for concealed carry.

If you want a steel or alloy weapon, and want a gun that is easily concealed, the CZ compacts are also a good choice. The STEEL Compact (capital C) is noticeably heavier than the alloy compact CZs. The alloy compacts, however, come only in decocker versions, and decockers force a slight difference between the first and subsequent trigger pulls.

I carry a pocket gun most of the time. Otherwise I favor the Glock 19, 23, or 38. (And please note: I'm a big CZ fan.)

There is a new CZ model, the P-02, which has the alloy frame of the P-01 and offers a safety (rather than a decocker); that wasn't available when I had compact CZs, and it's worth consideration, too.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; August 6, 2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old August 6, 2014, 02:19 PM   #6
carguychris

FWIW Beretta offers a 92FS Compact that's only a smidgen larger than the CZ 75 Compact.

The 92FS Compact may also be lighter, but I'm not certain, because the CZ website does not specify whether the quoted weight is measured with the pistol loaded or unloaded. Beretta says 31.6 oz unloaded, whereas CZ only says 2.03 lbs or 32.5 oz.

The 92FS Compact does not seem to be very popular, for reasons I've never quite been able to figure out. Most dealers in my area normally don't stock them. Also, holster selection and spare mag availability does not seem to be as good as with the CZ.

Last edited by carguychris; August 6, 2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old August 6, 2014, 02:25 PM   #7
LockedBreech

The Beretta 92 is my easy favorite of those 3, but if I needed one gun to be a jack of all trades it'd be the G19 easily. That gun is popular for a lot of reasons. It does lots of things well.
Beretta PX4 Type F Fullsize .40 S&W | Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para | Beretta 8040 Cougar Type G .40 S&W | Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP | Sig Sauer P6 9x19 Para | Colt Python 4" .357 Magnum | Colt 1968 Det. Spec. .38 Spc. | Ruger LCP .380 ACP | Daniel Defense M4V1 5.56x45 | Alpine M1 Carbine .30 | Steyr M1895 8x56 | Ruger 10/22 .22LR |1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R | Remington 870 12GA
Old August 6, 2014, 05:36 PM   #8
Colt46

CZ would be my choice

All are excellent examples of a handgun. The beretta is a service weapon and I'd discount it for that alone. I don't have much experience with Glock but won't knock them as they are hugely popular and well regarded by most. I'm currently in the market for my first 9mm and have decided it will be the CZ compact.
Old August 6, 2014, 06:58 PM   #9
Pilot

My compact, lightweight (alloy frame) CZ-75D PCR is my all around 9MM. It is an excellent range, home defense, and carry gun sharing all the compromises relatively well. Capacity, accuracy, weight and size are all well balanced.

That being said there are many others out there that would fill this role such as the G19, XDm, Sig P228/P229, HK USPc, etc. The CZ just fits me, and has proven to be excellent since I acquired it new in 2000.
Old August 6, 2014, 07:23 PM   #10
7Left

I've shot the Glock 19 and Beretta M9 quite a few times at the range. No time with the compact CZ 75, but I do own a full size 75B; pretty much the same except for a slightly shorter barrel. I'd rather shoot the CZ and Beretta.

But for a do-it-all gun, I'd choose the Glock 19. It has similar magazine capacity as the others. It's about the same size as the CZ 75 Compact. It's probably lighter, too.
Old August 6, 2014, 07:30 PM   #11
Hunter0924

Of those I would choose the CZ for sure.
I have shot all 3 and while I do like the Glock 17/19 I prefer the ergonomics of the CZ and I do not care for the Beretta M9/92FS at all.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:29 PM   #12
Crankgrinder

I wanted the Cz comp. To begin with, the guys price was a bit on the high side. 575 I think it was 2 years ago. Then the price of the mags and finally the weight did it in for me. Ended up with a g19. The Cz is imo a more fine piece to be sure, so is the beretta. Fit and finish on those guns far exceeds that of glock to me, but the trinity of price, performance, and weight did it for me that time.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:31 PM   #13
TunnelRat

CZ would be my choice.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:32 PM   #14
smokehouse4444

Out of those three? The CZ without a doubt.
Old August 6, 2014, 10:33 PM   #15
TunnelRat

Two are very similar in action type, the Glock very different. You don't say if this is your first gun or twenty first gun. It does take some trigger time to adjust to the different systems. DA/SA takes more time to learn IMO, but if you do learn it and learn it well I honestly believe you can then master just about any trigger system out there. As WVsig said, CZs do have some camming, most noticeable in DA. It's my only gripe with CZ. But there are great shops out there, CZ custom and Cajun Gun Works, also mentioned by WVsig, that can really tune these pistols. A custom shop CZ has been on my dream list for a long time.
Old August 7, 2014, 11:05 AM   #16
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
Love the CZ75 Compact, but a GLOCK is a GLOCK
What does that mean? If it means "but we all know that a Glock is junky crap, relative to a CZ" then carry on. If something else, please continue to raise your level of understanding of handgun quality, and you will be well-served.

The CZ 75 compact or the P-01 is probably THE best all-purpose 2-stack 9x19 concealed pistol in the world, bar none.
Old August 7, 2014, 11:25 AM   #17
WVsig

Quote:
The CZ 75 compact or the P-01 is probably THE best all-purpose 2-stack 9x19 concealed pistol in the world, bar none.

The absurdity of this statement is mind blowing. There are not absolutes when it comes to pistols. There are too many subjective variables to make these kinds of statements. IMHO Clearly YMMV.
Old August 7, 2014, 11:39 AM   #18
TBT

Have you ruled out the CZ P-07?

About the same size as a Glock 19 and it's been getting rave reviews in the past couple of years. It's caught my eye recently.
Old August 7, 2014, 02:10 PM   #19
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlicensed Dremel

If it means "but we all know that a Glock is junky crap, relative to a CZ" then carry on. If something else, please continue to raise your level of understanding of handgun quality, and you will be well-served.
Easy there. I like CZ as much as the next guy, but that's a flat false statement. Glock quality and CZ quality are equivalent, if anything. If you'd separate statements of fact from statements of opinion and avoid talking down to people with different opinions, you'd be well-served.
Beretta PX4 Type F Fullsize .40 S&W | Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para | Beretta 8040 Cougar Type G .40 S&W | Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP | Sig Sauer P6 9x19 Para | Colt Python 4" .357 Magnum | Colt 1968 Det. Spec. .38 Spc. | Ruger LCP .380 ACP | Daniel Defense M4V1 5.56x45 | Alpine M1 Carbine .30 | Steyr M1895 8x56 | Ruger 10/22 .22LR |1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R | Remington 870 12GA
Old August 7, 2014, 02:27 PM   #20
Sometnfancy

Can I offer a different option?
A Glock 23 (.40SW Compact)
and a 9mm conversion

That way you can carry more firepower and train cheaper
Old August 7, 2014, 04:17 PM   #21
Hurryin' Hoosier

I have (and love) both an M9 and a CZ 75 Compact.

I was going to look at a Glock but the caulking-gun department at Lowe's was out of them. They said a bunch of guys in hoodies had bought all of them.
Old August 7, 2014, 04:58 PM   #22
TXAZ

Which one fits best in your hand? That's the biggest issue for me.
I've had the Glock, (but luckily was able to return it to Lowe's) and a Beretta M9A1, and a Sig 229, and ....
The M9A1 and Sig 'fit right' for me. Conversely, a friend has a Desert Eagle that 'fits just right' in his hand, and says the Sig and Beretta's are too small.

Shoot and get the feel of them all, then decide.
Old August 7, 2014, 05:31 PM   #23
Hurryin' Hoosier

In all honesty, I'd say the CZ 75 Compact. The M9 is "acceptable" but just a tad thicker. (Glad you were able to take the Glock back to Lowe's! )
Old August 7, 2014, 06:46 PM   #24
mellow_c

I don't have much experience with CZ, but if I were choosing between the Beretta M9 and Glock 19 for a do everything gun, I would choose the Glock with no hesitation. I also own both and love both.

I also prefer single action striker fired guns for general practical use. Cary with a loaded chamber and your holster supplies the safety.

A CZ with DA/SA and a cocked and locked option is a nice idea to me though.

I'd still probably go for the Glock. They are all great guns though. And like Uncle Malice said, there is always HK
Old August 7, 2014, 08:15 PM   #25
JWT

My CZ has been flawless. CZ would definitely be my choice over the Beretta or the Glock.