The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 4, 2014, 03:22 PM   #1
gyvel

Brady's death

By now, I'm sure most of you have read on your computers or heard from other sources that Jim Brady passed away.

Do you think this will take any of the wind out of Sarah Brady's campaigning for gun control, or was he just a figurehead, so to speak? Obviously, his name was used to good advantage by the antis, and I hope that he doesn't become some kind of martyr for their cause.
Old August 4, 2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Technosavant

Condolences to the family; while we may vehemently disagree on this issue, I hope they find comfort in their grief.

I doubt this will affect much of anything. The Brady Campaign really hasn't been at the forefront of gun control lately; that seems to be handled by Bloomberg and Moms Demand Action at the moment. James Brady's own suffering as a booster for the cause ran out of gas at least 20 years ago, if not 30 (his wounds were suffered in 1981... that's practically forever ago). The focal point of the Brady Campaign was originally handguns (as per their original name of Handgun Control Inc.)... that's shifted to the so called "assault" weapons (really, more guns that some people find scary than anything else) since the 90s.

Things will continue on as they have been.
Old August 4, 2014, 04:19 PM   #3
JWT

I believe Technosavant has it exactly right. His passing will have very little, if any, affect on the groups campaign. His name will continue to be invoked as proof of the need for more gun control.
Old August 4, 2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
His passing will have very little, if any, affect on the groups campaign.
He was never personally active in their efforts. I know of no major statements from him on the issue.

He sat next to President Clinton during the signing of the Brady Act, but that's about the only public appearance I know of him making.
Old August 4, 2014, 08:28 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

He spoke before the Virginia legislature in 1993 or 1994 during the debates on shall issue concealed carry.
Old August 5, 2014, 02:18 AM   #6
Buzzcook

Sorry to read of the passing of almost anyone.

It was always my understanding the Bray's wife was more active in running their organization. So I doubt there will be much of a change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve9ixNjdyQE
Brady starts speaking at about 35 second mark.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituar...ry.html#page=1

None of the articles I've scanned have said Brady had lost mental acuity because of his injuries, so there wasn't anything to keep him for being involved in running the organization.

A bit embarrassed that I'd gotten that impression.
Old August 5, 2014, 08:37 AM   #7
Kimio

I was too young to really know anything about the Brady bill back then, regardless, my condolences to the family. May they find peace in the wake of his passing.

While I certainly did not agree with his political views, especially on gun control, he was still a person who had people who he cared for and they cared for him.

As others have said, based off some of the research I've done, I doubt the anti gun crowd will lose any real steam. Sadly, if anything, they'll march over and around his grave, spouting their respective cause out to the world, using his passing to try and further fuel their agenda. How tragic and terribly sad.
Old August 5, 2014, 10:54 AM   #8
skoro

Brady's death

RIP
Old August 5, 2014, 07:01 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

His passing will have zero effect on them as Technosavant pointed out.

That said, and most importantly, rest in peace Mr. Brady.
Old August 5, 2014, 07:52 PM   #10
Mainah

RIP Bear. He spoke for Reagan, took a bullet for him, everything else is a footnote now in my book.
Old August 5, 2014, 08:07 PM   #11
FrosSsT

Rest in peace Mr. Brady
Old August 5, 2014, 08:22 PM   #12

Nothing will change.

He's in a better place now.
Old August 5, 2014, 08:29 PM   #13
kutz

RIP !
Old August 6, 2014, 12:07 PM   #14
Unlicensed Dremel

May he rest in peace. What can you say? Dumb anti-science, anti-civil-rights gun-haters will carry on regardless. Unlike Frank Lautenberg, I take no joy in his death.
Old August 6, 2014, 10:50 PM   #15
alan

Correct me if I'm wrong, misinformed or something similar. As memory serves, the late Mr. Brady, my he rest in peace, was at one time, something of a gun collector, or interested in firearms.
Old August 7, 2014, 04:12 AM   #16
Brotherbadger

Quote:
Condolences to the family; while we may vehemently disagree on this issue, I hope they find comfort in their grief.
My thoughts exactly.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old August 7, 2014, 10:00 AM   #17
JimDandy

While I think Technosavant is likely correct, the point that Sarah Brady was the driving force could be relevant at least to the Brady Campaign group. As has also been pointed out they've already withdrawn from the forefront of the issue. Mr Brady's passing may just tire her out that much more. If so, it would have little effect on the overall issue. To be honest, I'm surprised Bloomberg hasn't already absorbed Brady before Moms Demand.
Old August 7, 2014, 10:26 AM   #18
OPC

I, too, was sorry to hear of his passing.

On a related note, and not to read too much into it, in reporting his passing, Brian Williams of NBC news stated that (paraphrasing) Brady's shooting lead to the Brady Campaign's founding to bring a focus on "gun safety" legislation.

Is it a different gun control tactic forming in the media? Soften the wording for their "common sense" legislation efforts?
Old August 7, 2014, 11:05 AM   #19
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Let's not drift off into anti-gunners' politics, okay?
Old August 8, 2014, 05:40 PM   #20
musher

According to the WA Post, Mr Brady's death has been ruled a homicide as a result of his gunshot injury in 1981.

That's not politics---is it?
Old August 8, 2014, 06:16 PM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

No and it is certainly not an unusual ruling, even years later.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:22 PM   #22
Technosavant

Yeah, if the ultimate passing is a result of an old wound, it can be considered homicide many years down the road.

I don't know that prosecutors would be all that likely to charge the shooter with murder this far down the road against Hinckley, especially considering his mental illness.
Old August 8, 2014, 09:28 PM   #23
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
I don't know that prosecutors would be all that likely to charge the shooter with murder this far down the road
Under Common Law they can't. If the victim dies more than a year and a day after the injury, (s)he is legally presumed not to have died as a result of the injury, and the assailant can't be charged with murder.

Virginia could have some statute to the contrary, but it would be difficult to see how Hinckley could be charged with his murder after more than 30 years!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own personal safety; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths, Chief Instructor, Advanced Force Tactics, Inc. (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old August 9, 2014, 05:12 AM   #24
mag1911

This is just for information only and not a comment on Ms Brady's political views nor to solicit any other political comments.

I read an interview with Sarah Brady in Parade magazine shortly after being hired by whatever Handgun Control was calling itself at the time.

She said in the interview she knew Jim would have a job as long as Reagan was in office but worried what would happen after. She also commented on how much she would miss being involved in national politics and all the attention, socializing, etc that goes with it after they left the White House.

She said she didn't have any gun contol aspirations even after the shooting until she was riding in a pickup truck on a ranch and saw a pistol on the dashboard. She said that galvanized her into action but she didn't sound very convincing to me.

What I took away from the article was she needed a job to replace Jim's, that she wanted to remain in the national spotlight and this seemed a way to get both regardless of what she actually thought about the issue.

Last edited by mag1911; August 9, 2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old August 10, 2014, 01:52 PM   #25
SauerGrapes

Bad luck, the guy was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. NEVER hang around presidents.

I always assumed his wife lead the charge for gun control. Nothing will change with his death. I don't even know how much his wife is involved with the organization anymore.

R.I.P.____Murphy

Last edited by Tom Servo; August 10, 2014 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Unnecessary