The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 28, 2014, 01:30 PM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

Just a heads up: The Rem 783 is $280 plus tax at Bass Pro....

through 12/31. Now that's AFTER the $40 rebate you get back later. You have to pay tax on the $320 sale price at the store, then do the rebate.

Chamberings are .270 win, .30-06, .308 win, and 7mm rem mag. Black plastic stock.

Not sure if this one is "while supplies last" or "we'll give you a raincheck if need be".

Just FYI if someone needs a budgety hunter and has a BPS nearby.
Old July 28, 2014, 04:38 PM   #2
hooligan1

Wonder how well that rifle is made. Might be a bargain for once a year deerhunters or someone that doesnt need to have a super quality type rifle, beginners and such
Old July 28, 2014, 08:37 PM   #3
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1 View Post
Wonder how well that rifle is made. Might be a bargain for once a year deerhunters or someone that doesnt need to have a super quality type rifle, beginners and such
It's certainly not a 770. It does have a decent trigger, like it's cousin the Marlin X7, and it has a barrel nut and the same thread specs as the Savage rifles. No aftermarket stocks that I know of yet, however.
Old July 28, 2014, 09:41 PM   #4
reynolds357

The rifle is supposed to be very accurate. The only thing I do not like about it is the cheap looking safety lever.
Old July 29, 2014, 08:41 AM   #5
Orion6

Safety lever looks just like a 700 safety.

These are good rifles, I have one in 7mm.

For $280 I'd get my butt down there and buy one.

I did a review on mine in an earlier post:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...=remington+783
Old July 29, 2014, 08:42 AM   #6
Orion6

Quote:
It's certainly not a 770. It does have a decent trigger, like it's cousin the Marlin X7, and it has a barrel nut and the same thread specs as the Savage rifles. No aftermarket stocks that I know of yet, however.
Boyd's already has an aftermarket stock for the 783 in both long and short actions.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:55 AM   #7
Colt46

Heard mostly positive things

Not a fan of the styling, but maybe it's something Remington has done right recently.

Price point sure is attractive.
Old July 29, 2014, 12:05 PM   #8
reynolds357

Safety does not look like any 700 I have ever seen. Looks like something off a beer can to me.

Last edited by reynolds357; July 29, 2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old July 29, 2014, 01:51 PM   #9
Orion6

Beer can? Are we talking about the same gun?

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; July 29, 2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: careful
Old July 29, 2014, 02:54 PM   #10
reynolds357

Yep, Beer can. Junky and cheap looking. Nothing like the 700. Picture does not do it justice. Have to handle it to sense the junkiness of it first hand. Look at a side view. However, at least the one in the photo is black. The one I saw was silver on a matte rifle. Look under "Gallery" on Remington's website. That rifle has the awful looking lever on it.
Old July 29, 2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Orion6

I have the rifle, and mine is black. I do think the earliest models had the stainless looking one.

However, I still have to say it's very similar to a 700. It's a Marlin Crossfire trigger, and it operates exactly like a 700 safety and looks very much like it.

I've shot my 783 quite a bit, and it's a good rifle so far.

I guess if you don't like it, don't buy it. But I can comment from shooting experience and ownership of the rifle. My daughter also has a Savage Axis, and while I like it as well, I'd prefer my 783 to an Axis.

I will say if anyone is on the fence, give it a try. Even if it's not your primary rifle, it would make a great backup gun or as a loaner to your buddies. I do feel like it's well made and shoots accurately. It also has a steel magazine, heavier contour barrel, recessed crown, adjustable trigger, etc. Plus with the fact that Boyd's offers stocks for it and you can change barrels later, it's a good value.

Last edited by Orion6; July 29, 2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old July 29, 2014, 06:05 PM   #12
bbqbob51

David Petzal liked it pretty well

In his review he points out that it is not a work of art but is incredibly accurate. I guess the point is you don't need a finely $4000 rifle with gorgeous furniture to drop a deer or moose effectively. As a matter of fact I would probably feel more comfortable carrying a gun in the woods on a rainy or snowy day that while reliable and accurate I wouldn't care if it gets dinged up or soaking wet. $280 sounds like a great price to me.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...t-action-rifle
Old July 31, 2014, 09:04 PM   #13
steveNChunter

Unlicensed Dremel, the irony of this thread topic in relation to your signature is epic.

That being said, it sounds like a good deal. The Rem 783 would be an interesting project to restock with a Boyd's, bed it, trigger job, rebarrel it with a Savage aftermarket barrel and really test the accuracy potential of that "cheap" action. $280 for the rifle is less than a model 700 action. The closed top style reciever is a very rigid design.

Hmm now the wheels are turning in my head...
Old August 2, 2014, 04:11 PM   #14
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
Unlicensed Dremel, the irony of this thread topic in relation to your signature is epic.
True enough - good point. But for those that that is all they can afford, I want all "ma peeps" to have a good turnbolt, ugly or not. (Plus, one can always upgrade the stock later).
Old August 2, 2014, 04:21 PM   #15
Wyosmith

what is a ma peep?
Old August 2, 2014, 04:46 PM   #16
Unlicensed Dremel

Lol, "my people" - my fellow gunnies who may not know the joys of a turnbolt rifle (esp. semi-auto or single shot converts).

I'm guessing you don't live in "da hood", Wyosmith?
Old August 3, 2014, 01:19 AM   #17
Wyosmith

No I don't.
If I did I'd move, and I would not speak like that.

I believe it's better to strive for something higher than to settle for the lowest level of anything. No offence meant, but I fail to see why doing anything in any way to a level of degeneration is somehow “cool”.

Guess I am old fashioned huh?
Old August 3, 2014, 08:19 AM   #18
Orion6

Quote:
No I don't.
If I did I'd move, and I would not speak like that.

I believe it's better to strive for something higher than to settle for the lowest level of anything. No offence meant, but I fail to see why doing anything in any way to a level of degeneration is somehow “cool”.

Guess I am old fashioned huh?
Nothing wrong with being old fashioned. But I think you're taking it a little too seriously.
Old August 3, 2014, 11:56 AM   #19
Unlicensed Dremel

Wyosmith, ha. I essentially agree with you, and I'm sure if I lived where you do, I'd feel the same way, but the hoodlum culture is such a large part of society in many if not most parts of the country, that like it or not, part of it or not, a portion of that culture's lingo crosses cultural barriers into more "normal" sub-cultures. A lot of non-hoodlums around here (several of my friends who are definitely NOT in gangs) use hoodie lingo at times, as a way of poking fun at that culture which we hear about and hear FROM (straight the horse's mouths - ANY business that deals with the general public, which is what, 95% of businesses?), a LOT, unfortunately (which I think we can all agree, we'd be much better off as a society without - the hoodlum/gangster sub-culture). Just a function of living in a big city I suppose. And in fairness, not all people who talk like that are criminals. It's really a tweak or slap at them for the most part...

By the way, I AM moving soon (next May) to a place near you (literally), where presumably there is little to no hoodlum culture - thank all that is holy.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; August 3, 2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old August 3, 2014, 12:24 PM   #20
Wyosmith

I can't say I am "taking it seriously” Orion, as much as I would say I really didn't know what that meant. My comment was only to point out the fact that if I had known I don't see any reason to lower myself to a sub-literate or illiterate level.

Unlicensed, where are you now, and where are you going to move to?

Maybe I can help in some way. I am in the Wind River Valley.
Old August 3, 2014, 01:04 PM   #21
Unlicensed Dremel

Dubois, Lander, or Riverton? I looked at Lander but now am looking hard at Pinedale / Sublette County, along with a few places in Montana. You can fish on the reservation for a fee, but you cannot hunt on it, can you? That was one check mark against Lander.

[So yeah, to clarify- the *reason* for being intentionally "sub-literate", which is an accurate description of that, is for the humor involved - poking fun at that culture.]
Old August 3, 2014, 01:22 PM   #22
skizzums

my shooting buddy bought the 783 for I little over 300, certainty an accurate rifle. Didn't feel overly cheap to me, but then I don't have a lot of experience with turn-bolts outside of mil-surps. I personally liked it, and will probably get one just for the heck of it. I would get in on this deal if I didn't just start an AR-308 project. I truly believe that cheap rifles can be good rifles, I have a few that hold true to that, I have had a few that didn't
Old August 3, 2014, 05:01 PM   #23
Wyosmith

No, unfortunately you can't hunt on the reservation if you are not Indian, or fish on the reservation unless you buy the special license. Nothing free there at all.
But the area is nice and you are not far from places you can hunt and fish.
What kind of work are you looking for?

Maybe I can help put you in contact with folks that could be helpful.
Old August 3, 2014, 10:00 PM   #24
Unlicensed Dremel

OK, great. I will PM you - holy crap, I just remembered we had part of this conversation and you are in Shoshoni; got it. Know any people around Pinedale - that would be very kind of you. I will do ANYTHING to live up there (and in fact can do a few things, being able-bodied and law-abiding, with half a brain). As I say, I will take this to private message. But to summarize, right now it's a close call between Sublette County WY and Flathead County MT (although I haven't ruled out Missoula or Anaconda either). Pretty sure they're digging for minerals still around Sublette Co. and other parts (i.e. shale gas), aren't they, so I could get in on that action maybe? There's a tiny tiny community called Bondurant between Pinedale and Jackson - that would be the ideal (dream come true for me), but I doubt I could make a living there. Well, thanks again.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; August 3, 2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old August 4, 2014, 02:11 PM   #25
Wyosmith

I have friends in the oil and gas well business, so I may be able to put you in touch.

I also have some friends in Anaconda, but they tell me jobs are almost non-existent there.