The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 10, 2014, 09:35 PM   #1
Metal god

I was going to go with a 6.8spc next buuut

I was going to build a 6.8 for hunting hogs and other small/medium game inside of 200yds . I just started looking at the 458socom and 450 Bushmaster and I really like the idea of a big bad thumper for the roll instead now .

I will be reloading for the rifle almost exclusively . Here's the thing , I really like the 458 because of the bullets that are available for it and the fact it's a rifle round to start out . It's my understanding it uses the same bullets as the 45-70 and having for the most part a semi 45-70 just seems to tickle my fancy .

Holy cow though the brass alone is very spendy and my new thought was along the lines of , spending $2 or $3 a case for brass I'll only get 3 loads from or so seems a bit pricey . Is there a big 40/45 caliber high velocity ( 1800fps to 2200fps ) AR cartridge that is easy on brass .

My question is what's the biggest hardest hitting most cost effective reliable cartridge in the AR platform . This will be a build from the ground up so the parts need to be Availible to buy . I'm good with a single stack cartridge although I'm in CA so I only have 10rd mags to work with . This will be for hunting so 3 or 4 rounds should work I hope .

It's not everybody that has the problem
Old June 11, 2014, 06:50 AM   #2
dean1818

Those have some hitting power!

Some people really seem to like them for short to mid range hunting.

It would do a number on pigs.

But

It looks like that bullet falls away fast at or around 180 to 200 yards.

The cost of the brass and bullets are also a bit brutal with limited suppliers

I opted for a 6.8 for Texas pigs and am very happy. It gets me to 300 yards with a Hornady SST 120. That bullet is devastating on pigs.

In fact a few of the reloaders are showing this bullet to have full expansion at 400 yards. To me that's amazing.

Check 6.8 forums

It's my DRT bullet (dead right there)

My Bison Armory 6.8 has been very reliable

Many people are reporting 10 to 15 reloads on the 6.8 brass,
(I'm at 4 reloads on most of my brass and it looks like it's still new

The brass is very cheap now that some is coming back from LWRC in support of their 35k plus rifle contracts with 2 Middle East armies.

Good luck with your choice

Post some dead pig Picts

Buying American made, wherever I still can

Last edited by dean1818; June 11, 2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old June 11, 2014, 06:58 AM   #3
jehu

Stick with the 6.8! The others are overkill! IMO.
Old June 11, 2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Unlicensed Dremel

First off, if you go with a buttstomper, why not go all the way to the baddest of the bad - the .50 beowulf?

Secondly, you sacrifice range and increase recoil; usually better off to stick to 6.8 or 6.5 for an all-purpose rifle. But hey, if you want a short-range thumper, then by all means build it!
Old June 11, 2014, 02:23 PM   #5
Metal god

Ok 6.8 it is

That should be cheaper to build as well . I'm in the middle of my high power build . I have the lower done and just ordered the barrel . It should be done in the next couple months and then I'll start on this build .

I already have the lower and lower build kit . I'm thinking of the fixed moe carbine stock and rock river NM trigger . The plan has been to buy the Wilson combat lightweight 6.8spc barrel barrel , Troy battle rail and a 2-7x32 scope . I should be able to get it done for a little over 1k . Well that's the plan anyways , I don't want to spend to much money on this build . I'll put good money were it counts ( barrel , trigger , optic ) the rest will be middle of the road parts .

Any ideas or changes you might do ?

It's not everybody that has the problem
Old June 11, 2014, 07:49 PM   #6
dean1818

I went with a 1x4 VXR Leupold and it is perfect for this gun

I went with the Giesele (too lazy to look up the spelling) SSA trigger
Awesome!

I love the Magpul ACS buttstock and miad grip

I have the Troy rail. Also a great choice

Post some Picts

Buying American made, wherever I still can