The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2014, 09:52 PM   #1
boondocker385

45 acp small primer pockets

I have reloaded them with regular CCI and Winchester primers and checked velocity..... anyone used MAGNUM primers for 45 acp?
Old June 5, 2014, 10:12 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

I recondition 45 ACP SPP range brass for reloading. Then put them in a marked coffee can. I've never loaded them. But I won't toss them either.

If I were to use magnum primers, like any other time I switched, I'd back down the load a little and work it back up. I doubt 45 ACP SPP brass has any special precautions regarding the use of mag primers.
Old June 5, 2014, 10:27 PM   #3
Jay24bal

I have.

I actually use magnum primers in every single small pistol primer caliber I shoot. I decided to get back into reloading during a panic state, and they were all I could find. I did work ups for them and did not start from my old charges using standard primers. While I have not chronied all of them, I do not notice any difference in terms of pressure signs or felt recoil.

They can create quite the muzzle blast though depending on your load, if you are into that.

Like Nick, now that I have several thousand 45 ACP cases stocked back up, I do not load the small primer ones. I will not toss them in case I ever need them, but they get set aside and I only load the large.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old June 6, 2014, 07:16 AM   #4
chiefr

Quote:
If I were to use magnum primers, like any other time I switched, I'd back down the load a little and work it back up. I doubt 45 ACP SPP brass has any special precautions regarding the use of mag primers
That's what I would do.
With the scarcity of components, mag primers my be your only choice.
Old June 6, 2014, 07:37 AM   #5
jmorris

The blue box Winchester primers are for standard or magnum loads. So I guess I load standard loads with magnum primers and magnum loads with standard primers.
Old June 6, 2014, 08:59 AM   #6
g.willikers

I haven't tried it with .45, but had to with 9mm, when there was another primer shortage.
There didn't seem to be any measurable or detectible difference than using standard primers.
Old June 6, 2014, 04:21 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

I use CCI Magnum primers (small and large) for all my pure defense load work ups. If the zombie apocalypse comes and I need to load up a bunch of defense ammo, they'll have mag primers. They work better in cold weather and tend to have a longer shelf life (because they're hotter to begin with).
Old June 7, 2014, 03:05 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

Much of my 45 ACP ammo is made using Magnum primers.

But I test.
Rigorously.
Old June 7, 2014, 03:57 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

The most difference I've seen a magnum primer make was equivalent to increasing the powder charge about 4%, but this was in a rifle cartridge. I always knock charges down by 5% when switching primers for that reason. It's also a rule of thumb Rocky Raab came up with some time ago. But switching to magnum primers can either raise or lower pressure in handguns. Keep in mind the main purpose of a magnum primer is to make a larger volume of gas to provide higher start pressure in difficult ignition situations. Some powders, particularly spherical propellants can benefit from that. A case that uses an easily ignited powder can also sometimes benefit if the load leaves it mostly empty. A number of M1 Garand shooters using IMR4895 loads that only fill the case 80-85% report lower velocity extreme spread with them.

The reason a magnum primer can sometimes lower pressure and velocity, particularly in a pistol case, is that extra gas can unseat the bullet and start it forward before the burn gets underway, so it's the same effect as starting the powder burning in a larger powder space. It reduces peak pressure. But the opposite can happen, too, because pistol powders are quick burning compared to rifle powders, and sometimes, if the bullet it not unseated by the primer, it just causes overall burn to be more immediate. Still other times, you just don't see any difference at all because the particular powder lights up about as fast regardless of primer pressure. Just be aware that doesn't mean a different powder will. You have to test every load separately.

You want to do two things, if you can. One is, go ahead an make the small reduction in powder charge to try. The chances are it will be just fine without that, but Ronald Reagan's dictum to "trust, but verify", is a good slogan for reloading data of any kind.

The other thing, if you can, is to chronograph the loads against some of your old loads to verify the velocity that as you work the charge up, you are landing at the same velocity average you had before. The other reason to do this is to check how velocity consistency compares. Inconsistent velocity means inconsistent ignition. When you change to a magnum primer, though you'd think it would improve consistency, it can also make it worse by that unseating effect not occurring consistently, or because a higher total portion of the pressure is depending on consistency of the primer. That can be an issue if your firing pin energy is marginal and the primer cup is thicker than on a standard primer. You just have to compare it to what you got with a standard primer to see. It may also be better, in which case you've found a new primer to rely on.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old June 7, 2014, 10:56 PM   #10
SVTCobra306

I worked up a load for them, using Bullseye and Unique. I ended up with the same powder charge as with a WLP primer. I tried a WSP magnum primer and my accuracy was noticeably worse. I'm assuming it's because of the phenomenon described above, where the bullet gets pushed out via the primer before the powder charge gets fully ignited. It was worse with Unique than with Bullseye, and it turned all the Unique charged brass very black and cooked looking.

.45ACP is not hard to ignite, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a small pistol primer may show slightly better accuracy than the large primer brass..

In the meantime I'll continue collecting freebies because nobody wants the small primer stuff
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old June 8, 2014, 06:22 PM   #11
boondocker385

Thanks all....got some test loads done.. will try next week
Old June 8, 2014, 06:29 PM   #12
4runnerman

I have never used Mag primers before in them,but I have reloaded a lot of small primer 45's. Started low and in end,,,I ended right back with my same load I was shooting with Large primers.
Old June 9, 2014, 02:26 PM   #13
WESHOOT2

adds up to 5,000 PSI (dat's alotta PSI, ay?)

CAUTION: Winchester Small Pistol Magnum primers are NOT interchangeable; use ONLY when specified in load data; use only as specified.

No joking about these hot babies.
Old June 9, 2014, 02:55 PM   #14
Unclenick
Staff

That's a new one on me. What kind of velocity difference did they cause?
NRA Benefactor Member
Old June 9, 2014, 09:54 PM   #15
Jim243

Quote:
anyone used MAGNUM primers for 45 acp?
To my knowledge the only handguns rated for 45 ACP +P are Taurus. Other's no idea. If the gun is rated for +p, you should not have any problems.

Jim