The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 5, 2014, 10:01 AM   #1
smee78

Troy M 14 chassis system

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a Troy m14 chassis system to put on my Springfield M1A, I got it for about half the price new. Any one have any time behind one of these? For all you wood and steel guys, relax I am a steel and wood guy also, but wanted to see about getting the most out of this platform and its not going to do any thing that cant be swapped back. Any imput or pictures of your M14/M1A would be great.
Old June 5, 2014, 10:14 AM   #2
SR420

I met with Steve Troy and worked with him on the prototype a bit. It's a really nice system, well suited to a DMR. They can be a little difficult to tune, and that's is one reason I prefer the SAGE EBR. Tony at LAW483.com can help you set the TROY stock up for ultimate accuracy.
Old June 5, 2014, 10:19 AM   #3
smee78

SR420 thats great thanks for sharing, ya the only thing I dont like about this setup is losing my rear sight but being able to select/swap stocks and have a pistol grip will be great.
Old June 8, 2014, 08:58 AM   #4
smee78

Bueller........Bueller......anyone else? Really no one else has one of these?
Old June 13, 2014, 12:31 PM   #5
FrosSsT

I purchased the MCS chassis about a year ago for an M1A Scout I bought a while back. I got mine in FDE. I put a Magpul PRS stock, hogue pistol grip, bipod and for optics went with a Nightforce NXS F1 (I had to use either the high or extra high NF rings because the bell was hitting the top mounting rail with the medium rings). Put it all together in under an hour (dont forget to use loctite) I sent an email in over at Law483 asking on how to tweek it for the best performance and Tony called about an hour later instructing me over the phone how to tweek the screws by the M1A's trigger assembly for optimal performance. In my opinion its an amazing setup as a designated marksman rifle but too heavy to throw a red dot and foregrip on and use as an alternative to an M4.
Old June 13, 2014, 07:03 PM   #6
smee78

Thanks FrosSst for sharing, I thought SR420 and I were there the only two of us out there with one of these. I plan on using mine for stand hunting and target shooting (it a full size gun) fun, I got my 18 inch FAL for running around with if I need a shorter gun.
Old June 14, 2014, 01:53 AM   #7
RX-79G

Why convert an M1A into an AR-10ish thingy?
Old June 18, 2014, 11:38 AM   #8
FrosSsT

Quote:
Why convert an M1A into an AR-10ish thingy?
If I had a full size m1a in a walnut stock I would leave it as is. I had a scout squad in a synthetic stock.
Old June 18, 2014, 12:02 PM   #9
smee78

I'm currently looking for a scout or a socom but haven't found one yet for the right price.