The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 3, 2014, 03:14 PM   #1
hollowpointWV

Reloading basics

I was wanting to find different ideas on how to reload my 270. Winchester
I would like to hear just about anything relevant.
Old June 3, 2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Read this thread

Get and read The ABC's of Reloading.

Get and read a good load manual. The front sections are tutorial and general information sections. Lyman 49th is a good one.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old June 3, 2014, 03:45 PM   #3
green_MTman

the lyman book is great start

here are two good loads

130 grain bullet

winchester large rifle magnum primer

your favorite brass

trim case 2.530"

case overall lenth 3.180" you may experiment with seating depths,but always go back to minimum load and work back up

load 1.

IMR 7828 rifle powder 60 grains (reduce by 10% and work up a grain at a
time)

load 2.
hodgedons 1000 64 grain of powder (reduce by 10% and work up a grain at a time

Last edited by green_MTman; June 3, 2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old June 3, 2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Mike / Tx

Quote:
I was wanting to find different ideas on how to reload my 270. Winchester
I would like to hear just about anything relevant.
As mentioned above, grab up a book or 4, and get to reading up on it.

That said I have had a 270 in the stable for nearly 20yrs and have had a ball playing around with it. I have loads from mild to wild and just about all of them will pretty easily group around an inch or less at 100 and a couple at 200yds.

One of my very favorite loads uses IMR-3031 and a 130gr Nosler bullet. It is VERY mild recoiling and super accurate out past where most folks don't need to be shooting. My oldest grandson at 11 last fall reached out 250+ yards and put one in the ear of a nice fat boar hog. His shot was off a mono pod we use when we just go out for a walk about on the farm.

Stick with powders in the IMR or Hodgdon 4350 range, or maybe some RL-19 or 22. You don't need to use magnum primers with any of the loads.

Pick out a good bullet in a 130, 140, or 150gr what ever you flavor and go have fun. If you keep your loads in the middle of the load ranges for most powders you won't be bothered with having to trim your cases every couple of loads. Some of the ones i am using with that 3031 load have been loaded close to 10 times with no real trimming needed other than to simply square up the mouth.

Hope that helps.
Old June 3, 2014, 05:42 PM   #5
psalm7

I would sugest a LEE chalenger kit and thier factory crimp die sets and some of the powder and bullets mentioned above . The crimp dies save the trouble of recoil separating the bullet from the case in your ammo in the magazine . Make sure you have something to mesure over all length .
Old June 3, 2014, 10:34 PM   #6
William T. Watts

Personally I use magnum primers with IMR7828 & H4831, I load both 130 & 150gr Nosler Solid base bullets for this caliber. I use 55.5gr of H4831 with the 150gr projectile, 58 grs of the same powder with the 130gr Nosler Solid base in Winchester cases. I'm not interested in ultra high velocity from my 270Win, best grouping is where I stop, at my age I no longer can consistently shoot the tiny groups when I was younger. Now if I can shoot an inch or less at 100 yds once in a while it keeps me happy!! The advice to read several reloading manuals from "cover to cover" is good advice and will help you develop the vocabulary you will need to understand the terms we use in this hobby!! Good luck!! William
Old June 4, 2014, 02:28 PM   #7
hollowpointWV

Thanks for all the info
An older friend or my dads said to use 110
Grain ballastic tip hornady bullet and i think
IMR-4060 not sure on that though
Any suggestions
Old June 4, 2014, 02:35 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Folks will pass around all kinds of favorite recipes. The important thing is to make sure what they're telling you is actually a safe load. You absolutely NEED to make sure you're using official, published data. Your face and hands (and possibly life) literally depend on it.

That powder would be IMR4064, no doubt a popular choice in .270Win.

You'll be needing a press and die before you can load any powder or bullet though.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old June 4, 2014, 07:54 PM   #9
bt380

Read the manuals before you reload is always a safe bet. I liked the Lyman 49th, Sierra V edition 7th printing, Lee 2nd edition, Hornady 9th edition and a few of the One Book/One Caliber booklets. Mark them up with high lighters and make notes in them.
-
No matter which press you settle on, the one you get may have some QA issues, but be patient and work with the CS.
-
Spend the 10-15 bucks to get some ebay grain weights to verify your scale accuracy. Same for the caliper.
-
If you are on a budget. Ask the forum for the cheapest method for cleaning brass, or cheapest die and where to get them, or cheap bullets on line, etc, etc for the specific needs. Watch a lot of you tube vids. If you have throw away money...reloading is a great hobby for that as you can buy all kinds of fun stuff....
-
Never ever take some one else's load data that you can't verify in the manual. They may have a bad day and screw up and you pay the price in a ruined gun or worse.
-
Always wear eye pro.
-
Watch out for primer dust build up in the tubes.
-
Have fun and be safe....
Old June 5, 2014, 09:15 AM   #10
hooligan1

I load the .270 winny with these five bullets:
1. Nosler Partition 130 grn H 4350 CCI 200 Lrp.
2. Balistic Tip 130 grn IMR 4350 same primer.
3. Accubond 130 grn H 4350 same primer.
4. Barnes TTSX 130 grn IMR 4350 same primer.
5. Nosler Partition 140 grn RL 19 same primer.

All my loads are decent if not super accurate, and they aren't close to max and are easy on shoulder.
It took a lot of components to test all these bullets got to be ready to spend a few bucks on books firstly like Pflueger mentioned is best advice.
Old June 5, 2014, 11:11 PM   #11
hollowpointWV

Thanks I will get some books and read, any "recipies" Wil be
appreciated and any other ins and outs like pressing equipment
and similar will be taken into advisement as well
Old June 5, 2014, 11:33 PM   #12
hollowpointWV

Ok any suggestions on what edition of the abcs of reloading
Old June 8, 2014, 08:55 PM   #13
bt380

Depends you use. My brother in law has been reloading for 50 years. He's a hunter. He loads 3-4 to hike in with. Usually he leave with all but one round. He never shoot at anything he isn't sure he will kill on the first shot. He has a hand held Lee loader and the die for one caliber. He borrows 3-4 primers and a tad bit of powder to load up his rounds. He bought a bag of bullets and brass years an years ago and hasn't finished the bag. He goes out every year turkey and deer. The only time he shoots more rounds is to zero his rifle before a hunt. So if you are a hunter with easy needs, you don't need much.
-
Me, I kill paper! I have a single stage, a turret and a progressive press. I wet tumble, have multiple calipers, balance beams, digital scales, etc, etc. have all kinds of calibers and die sets because you never know how thick that paper will be. I may need a 40 cal heavy load to do it. If that doesn't work, I blast it with my Mosin Nagant. Not only will it have a hole, but the flame will set the paper on fire!
Old June 9, 2014, 12:02 AM   #14
Xfire68

Quote:
Ok any suggestions on what edition of the abcs of reloading
It is always best to get the latest edition reloading manuals as the data changes on powders over the years.

All reloaders should have a few reloading data sources. Lyman, ABC's of reloading, powder manufacturers websites are all good sources.

www.aac300blackoutbrass.com A Veteran owned Business.