The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2014, 09:59 PM   #1
mnoirot64

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series tumbler

I've been waiting for Midsouth Shooters to get the Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series stainless steel tumbler in stock. They arrived late last week and I brought one home today. I tumbled 350 45 ACP brass for two hours today. The results? Incredibly impressive.
Old June 2, 2014, 11:14 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

What's the weight capacity on that tumbler? I can't find it listed anywhere.
Old June 3, 2014, 04:23 AM   #3
Airman Basic

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/713...y-case-tumbler
Old June 3, 2014, 06:42 AM   #4
Gdawgs

That looks like a nice tumbler. I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed in the build quality of the Thumler that I bought last year, so now I'm a little jealous when I compare mine to some other ones that are out there. For the price they charge for the Thumler, they are pretty cheaply built.

Have fun with the wet tumbling. We all like to see shiny brass!

Old June 3, 2014, 06:45 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

I may have to get one... I've been using an RCBS sidewinder, & it's just about shot ( it lasted through 10 or so years of reloading for my FIL, & about 15 years for me ) but I can't justify twice the price of a Thumler , or this Frankford Arsenal to replace it... I don't think the RCBS was designed around wet tumbling, but I've been using mine for that, for about a year & a half... but think that has accelerated it's wear...

only thing... I wish the timer was more than 3 hours... I usually tumble from 3-6 hours, & find the cases get scummy if they sit in the dirty water for too long, after the tumbler stops... if I buy a FA tumbler, I might have to replace the timer with just an off / on switch
Old June 3, 2014, 06:51 AM   #6
Gdawgs

There's no reason to wet tumble more than 3 hours. It doesn't gain you anything. I typically only do two hours, then change water, then give it another hour or two.
Old June 3, 2014, 06:57 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

well perhaps it's just the RCBS's trait, perhaps I need more pins, but in 3 hours I still have some grunge in my primer pockets, in 4 - 5 hours, the cases look brand new... I like to start mine in the morning, & dump it after supper, & by then the insides are shiny enough to inspect a 223 case for defects with a 4 ft shop light over head
Old June 3, 2014, 07:01 AM   #8
Jim243

Very impressive results. One question, how noisy is the tumbler when running??

Jim
Old June 3, 2014, 07:23 AM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

I'd suspect the rubber lined tumblers would be quieter... my RCBS has a plastic drum, with no rubber liner, & is about as noisy as the dehumidifier it's sitting next to... pretty loud actually...
Old June 3, 2014, 08:31 AM   #10
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
What's the weight capacity on that tumbler? I can't find it listed anywhere.

Thirty pounds. They claim you can tumble 1500 5.56 rifle brass in it.
Old June 3, 2014, 08:35 AM   #11
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim243 View Post
Very impressive results. One question, how noisy is the tumbler when running??

Jim

You can hear it when you're near it. With the rubber lining it's really quite quiet. It could put you to sleep if you had it in your bedroom.
Old June 3, 2014, 01:01 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

That's definitely one of the more attractive options, even with a few bad reviews about the screw-on caps.

Quote:
Thirty pounds. They claim you can tumble 1500 5.56 rifle brass in it.
Thanks.
Old June 3, 2014, 03:42 PM   #13
Oldgoat03

If you decide to get the FA Tumbler Cabelas price is better

If anyone is interested I just shopped Midway and Cabelas. Not to bad mouth Midway but Cabelas has Battenfield Premium labeled rotary tumblers (same tumbler by FA) in-stock for $189.99 ($10 less than Midway). Cabelas also has free shipping for orders over $199.99 for Fathers Day (promo code 4DADSDAY). Midway wanted $22 to ship. I added the FA magnetic media seperator ~$13 to get the total over 200.

I was going to get one anwyway and very glad I looked at prices and shipping. So mine is on the way. Happy Fathers Day to me!

OG03

[URL="http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Reloading/Tumblers-Sonic-Cleaners-Scales%7C/pc/104792580/c/104761080/sc/104661180/Battenfeld-Platinum-Series-Rotary-Tumbler/1811194.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftumblers-sonic-cleaners-scales%2F_%2FN-1100197%2FNo-48%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104661180%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104792580%253Bcat104761080%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP%26recordsPerPage%3D48&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104761080%3Bcat104661180[/URL]
Old June 3, 2014, 06:42 PM   #14
mnoirot64

Just ran my second batch of 45 ACP through this FA tumbler. This time around 500 pieces of VERY dirty brass. Same great results. Midsouth is out of the magnet, so I will have to buy one somewhere else. It is a huge pain separating the SS media from your clean brass without one!
Old June 4, 2014, 06:41 AM   #15
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a system... I use a large plastic salad bowl, I dump my tumbler contents into, & rinse in there, leaving enough water for the next batch in the tumbler, then pluck the cases out 2 at a time, inspecting the case, & making sure pins aren't trapped anywhere ( 30 carbine were particularly bad, about getting one pin in sideways in the case, or 2 pins stuck in the flash hole ) I put the cases in a plastic strainer that fits over the mouth of my tumbler... once I have the cases out, I lay the strainer on the side, in front of either a small space heater, or my dehumidifier, depending on the season...

it may sound tedious, but I like to look over my cases before I load them anyway, & it goes pretty quickly, I've probably processed 10,000 cases this way, since I got my pins ( my pins, were bought off E-Bay, & are non magnetic ) so a magnet would do me no good anyway... I do recommend the magnetic pins, as loose ones that get dropped on occasion, are a pain to pick up...

got my large plastic bowl & strainer, at the local discount store, for like $5.00
Old June 4, 2014, 08:46 AM   #16
straight-shooter

I use the RCBS media separator and just dump the contents in it and then put water in the bowl and spin it. All the pins fall to the bottom of the bowl. Then I just remove the tumbler and dump the brass. Works fast and easy!

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/pro...FYk7MgodBjMAgg
Old June 4, 2014, 10:16 AM   #17
Nick_C_S

When I first started loading (which just so happened to be 6/4/1984; exactly 30 years ago today.) I cared little about the cleanliness of my brass - as long as it was clean enough to run through my sizer die. I literally hand washed with dish soap in a large bucket.

Then I went to dry media vibratory tumbling. Works pretty well, but doesn't clean the inside or primer pockets.

After spending some time on TFL and seeing posts such as this, a few months ago I decided to try wet tumbling with SS media. I got one of these to test the process for myself, without over-investment:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-lb-ro...ler-67631.html

And got my SS pins:

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.co...ing-media.html

So now, I vibrate tumble to clean the outside. Resize/decap. Then wet tumble with SS pins. It's a two-step cleaning process that some may find cumbersome. But it works for me and I'm very happy with the process and result. And . . . since I'm doing a second wet tumble, I now lube my cases for resizing (I load only straight walled pistol.) - even though all my size dies are tungsten carbide. It's much much smoother.

All that said, I'm now thinking about getting a higher capacity wet tumbler. This Frankford Arsenal unit looks really nice. I like the timer. And as a previous post stated: 2 hours seems to be plenty.

Posts like these are very helpful. Thank you.
Old June 4, 2014, 02:05 PM   #18
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S View Post
When I first started loading (which just so happened to be 6/4/1984; exactly 30 years ago today.) I cared little about the cleanliness of my brass - as long as it was clean enough to run through my sizer die. I literally hand washed with dish soap in a large bucket.

Then I went to dry media vibratory tumbling. Works pretty well, but doesn't clean the inside or primer pockets.

After spending some time on TFL and seeing posts such as this, a few months ago I decided to try wet tumbling with SS media. I got one of these to test the process for myself, without over-investment:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-lb-ro...ler-67631.html

And got my SS pins:

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.co...ing-media.html

So now, I vibrate tumble to clean the outside. Resize/decap. Then wet tumble with SS pins. It's a two-step cleaning process that some may find cumbersome. But it works for me and I'm very happy with the process and result. And . . . since I'm doing a second wet tumble, I now lube my cases for resizing (I load only straight walled pistol.) - even though all my size dies are tungsten carbide. It's much much smoother.

All that said, I'm now thinking about getting a higher capacity wet tumbler. This Frankford Arsenal unit looks really nice. I like the timer. And as a previous post stated: 2 hours seems to be plenty.

Posts like these are very helpful. Thank you.

Nick - You're like me. I like my brass to look brand new. I have a nice Hornady sonic cleaner. I thought it did fairly well until I got this Frankford Arsenal stainless steel tumbler. Once I have the magnetic media separator, my spotless brass and I will be on Cloud 9!
Old June 4, 2014, 04:07 PM   #19
mnoirot64

Here is some 40/357 SIG brass which just came out of the FA Platinum series tumbler. It looks better than most new brass I've purchased. I'm floored.
Old June 4, 2014, 04:14 PM   #20
straight-shooter

To easily dry the brass I just put it in a mesh dryer laundry bag and hang it over the door of the dryer. Run it on medium heat for 40 minutes and it's dry!
Old June 5, 2014, 06:57 AM   #21
Rottweiler

I've been putting off the switch to wet tumbling for a while. This thread may be what pushes me over the edge
Old June 6, 2014, 10:47 PM   #22
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I've been putting off the switch to wet tumbling for a while. This thread may be what pushes me over the edge.
Rottweiler: If clean brass is important to you, then you should do it. The process involves some time investment. But once it's done, you're working with nice clean shiny brass - even clean on the inside and primer pockets. Speaking for myself, I don't like loading cruddy brass - life is too short But seriously, if loading with clean brass, and taking clean ammo out to the range is important to you - then you should do it. I'm glad I tried it. I'm pleased.
Old June 7, 2014, 03:01 PM   #23
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S View Post
Rottweiler: If clean brass is important to you, then you should do it. The process involves some time investment. But once it's done, you're working with nice clean shiny brass - even clean on the inside and primer pockets. Speaking for myself, I don't like loading cruddy brass - life is too short But seriously, if loading with clean brass, and taking clean ammo out to the range is important to you - then you should do it. I'm glad I tried it. I'm pleased.

I fully agree with you, Nick.
Old June 9, 2014, 06:21 AM   #24
Magnum Wheel Man

as a plus... they are way easier to find, when they are bright gold colored & shiny... I find I get as much as 10% more of my brass back, when I shoot CAS with bright shiny brass, over dull bronze colored cases ( easier for the brass pickers to find them quickly between shooters )
Old June 10, 2014, 04:43 PM   #25
Nick_C_S

Frankfort Arsenal Tumbler

Well mnoirot64 - I pulled the trigger on a FA tumbler today. My little Harbor Freight unit told me what I needed to know, but it was just too small. I'm pretty sure this post put me over the top, so I did the deed on MidwayUSA today.

Last edited by Nick_C_S; June 10, 2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Grammar