The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 31, 2014, 07:43 PM   #1
oldscot3

N-Pap update

Thought I'd do a quick review of a recently purchased N-Pap to address a few topics I've seen around the net with regard to this variant.
First, fit and finish is as good as I've seen on any AK, it has that rugged industrial look that lends to it's reputation for ruggedness.
Second, the magwell opening and trunnion are nicely machined and blued. No "drunken monkey" dremel work present. All mags snap in and out precisely with minimum wobble. The bolt is also the correct one for double stack mags.
Third, the receiver is 1mm, not 1.5, my micrometer indicates .038".
Fourth, the buttstock does make using the irons difficult. The comb rises as it goes forward to the receiver. Getting your check down on it to line up the sights requires you to press your face hard against it, then since the angle is backwards, it gives an uncomfortable slap on recoil. Where I only to be using the irons, I would introduce this stock to Mr. Beltsander. With a UTG mount and a low power scope, it's just about right, although I still wish the comb tapered down toward the front. This one will be in drawer soon.
Fifth, shoots good, no failures to date. So far I've only run Russian steel case through it and accuracy is is exactly what you would expect from that kind of ammo. Next time out I'm going to try a few rounds of my precious little stash of Lapua, then handloads.
Sixth, for a complaint not related to the stock, upon returning from the range for the first time, when I cleaned the weapon, I found significant metal filings inside the receiver. I couldn't find any parts that seemed to be eating themselves, so presume they must have come from the factory and never got cleaned out. I have no idea where they were hiding as I pulled the dustcover and looked inside before firing it the first time.
Finally, I recommend it to anyone. For under $600.00 shipped and taxed, it's a bargain.

Last edited by oldscot3; June 1, 2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old June 3, 2014, 02:54 AM   #2
Brotherbadger

Thanks for the update, i've been thinking about picking one up.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old June 3, 2014, 01:49 PM   #3
oldscot3

There's a great u tube review on them, that covers, and pretty much confirms what I observed, by a guy who goes by mr. guns and gear. Sorry I don't have the link. Just put n pap review in the search bar and look for his handle. I think it was about 10 min.s and a good view.
Old June 3, 2014, 04:42 PM   #4
seanc

What brand of Russian ammo were you using? That may be the source of the metal shavings. I've had issues with Wolf being dirty and leaving metal shavings in both SKS rifles and AKMs (worse with the SKS).

Another question: Is the stock mount standard? Can you just put a standard Warsaw pact stock on there?
Old June 3, 2014, 06:56 PM   #5
oldscot3

Wolf military classic. I'll be monitoring that issue in the future.

The stock is different from most aks. Most use a butt stock that is fitted into the receiver and have a tang with a screw for retention. The n-paps don't have a tang. The end of the receiver is closed and has a threaded hole. The butt stock simply butts up to it then uses a long retention bolt that threads into that receiver "block".

It's sort of like the system that Ace uses, which is great if you want an Ace but not every aftermarket or surplus ak stock will work on the n-pap.
Old June 3, 2014, 09:38 PM   #6
Fishbed77

I'd love to nab an N-PAP underfolder if I could find one for a good price.
Old June 4, 2014, 12:16 AM   #7
Brotherbadger

Quote:
There's a great u tube review on them, that covers, and pretty much confirms what I observed, by a guy who goes by mr. guns and gear. Sorry I don't have the link. Just put n pap review in the search bar and look for his handle. I think it was about 10 min.s and a good view.
He's a member here IIRC. I've seen the review(it's great work), i just like reading another option. If enough people say basically the same thing, I can assume that is what i will also experience.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old June 4, 2014, 07:59 PM   #8
Bart Noir

When the AK47 was modified to the AKM model in the late 1950s, one change was the shape of the stock.

Your stock is shaped more like the original AK stock and it is unfortunate that it has a non-standard mounting method. Otherwise the solution would be to find a new stock in the AKM shape.

Perhaps in time there will be some after-market stocks for the N-PAP.

Bart Noir
Whose wife would go for an annual PAP-smear test. Not sure what shape stock was used....
Old June 5, 2014, 12:33 AM   #9
Justice06RR

NPAP's are a good value for an AK. Although lacking a few things you mentioned (non chrome-lined bore, different stock mounting), if you can overlook those things, its an excellent shooter.

Although for $600 range you could get a rear-converted Saiga AK47 with none of the disadvantages of the NPAP.
Old June 5, 2014, 06:44 AM   #10
oldscot3

IMO, the best side folder stock, is the Ace. To mount one, you use their "receiver block" and I'm pretty sure, you have to remove the tang. The N-Pap doesn't require that step. Since they are apparently selling briskly, I'm sure it won't be long before before just about any kind of stock is available.

None of my guns have chrome lined barrels, I don't shoot corrosive. I don't need it.

The Saigas are good, but in my experience, quite a bit more. They have their own quirks, like that funky, space gun looking forearm.