The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 9, 2014, 11:47 AM   #51
sm

Most often a Case yellow handle, with CV blades, such as Slimline Trapper or Sodbuster Jr.

While I do have some custom fixed blades, I most often will use a Mora No.1 Classic, or Mora Clipper with carbon steel blades.
Old June 12, 2014, 09:34 AM   #52
Deerhunter

I use a Gerber Paraframe I to gut deer. They sharpen up easily, they are cheap (around $20 at WalMart) and they are easy to clean even though it is a folder.
http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials...knife_22-48446

Buddy bought one of those Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite series knives. Used one blade to break down a 70 pound pig with no issues. I am getting ready to pick one up for myself
http://www.outdooredge.com/category-s/31.htm
Old June 13, 2014, 08:35 PM   #53
Bigfatts

My main knife is a Muela Rhino. Steel is 14C28N Sandvick. Takes a razor edge, holds it pretty well and is easy to sharpen. I mostly hunt hogs and that hair can play hell with a cheap blade. Prior to buying the Muela I ised some Wal Mart Gerber for years. Always had to hit it with the steel a time or two mid-hog. The Muela skinned a whole decent sized boar and never showed any sign of dulling. Didn't hunt much last year so didn't get to do any extensive testing so that's all I can say for now. I also carry a White River Knife and Tool Knucklehead. It's S30V and is quite a value. Haven't got to skin anything with it yet though.

The Muela
Old June 13, 2014, 09:59 PM   #54
Mike1

+ 1 Water-Man. I've been using a Cold Steel Master Hunter since 1996. Works well on elk, mule deer, pronghorns, Blue Grouse, bunnies and trout.
Old June 14, 2014, 12:48 AM   #55
wolverine_173

Old June 15, 2014, 10:39 AM   #56
kraigwy

Quote:
To those who use folders, how does one clean all the blood out of them? Short of dishwasher on "pots and pans" ....
Rinse in cold water. Real simple.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 17, 2014, 10:59 AM   #57
Panfisher

Blood washes out easy, its the fat that is more difficult to get. But a minute or so under running hot tap water and it disappears. Wipe it down, maybe a drop of oil on the hinge and good for another hunt.
Old June 17, 2014, 12:06 PM   #58
Wyosmith

Longer size Swiss Army Knife with the saw.

The stainless blades don’t hold a super good edge, but they get through an elk. I carry an E_Z Lap diamond sharpener in my pack for it.

I have used these knives for everything from small game to buffalo and moose. The saw will cut through the lower part of an elk pelvis in about 90 seconds so I can "core them" and let the legs lay out flat.
Old June 17, 2014, 01:27 PM   #59
Deerhunter

Quote:
To those who use folders, how does one clean all the blood out of them? Short of dishwasher on "pots and pans" ....
Quote:
Rinse in cold water. Real simple.
Quote:
Blood washes out easy, its the fat that is more difficult to get. But a minute or so under running hot tap water and it disappears. Wipe it down, maybe a drop of oil on the hinge and good for another hunt.
That is the reason I use the Gerber Paraframe knives. Run them under some warm water and then use a toothpick to clean out any fat that is left in them. Really easy to clean the way they are made.
Old June 22, 2014, 04:16 AM   #60
David_S

Quote:
Longer size Swiss Army Knife with the saw.

The stainless blades don’t hold a super good edge, but they get through an elk. I carry an E_Z Lap diamond sharpener in my pack for it.
X2
Old June 22, 2014, 10:12 PM   #61
Rifletom

An A.G. Russell lock-back folder, 2&3/4" drop point blade. Best damn knife I've ever used on deer. Some kind of Japanese steel,VG-10?,comes to mind,but, that knife stays SHARP! Anything heavy, like splitting, gets the Buck 110. Another very good knife.
Old June 23, 2014, 02:17 PM   #62
Barnacle Brad

Kershaw 'Wildcat Ridge' 3140 stainless lock back, 3.5" clip point for all field dressing, breaking down legs and skinning. Clip point is excellent for reaming the bung and getting under the skin of the legs to open them up. A few licks with the EZ LAP keeps it razor sharp and I like that there is not a chance of losing it while hiking when sheathed.

Henkel stainless 6" boner for breaking down quarters, backstrap and tenderloin.

For cutting steaks I use a knife with a thin 8" blade. The handle is ergonomically set above the knife edge. It is a bastard I picked up at the Goodwill or Starvation Army for a buck and it is my favorite knife in the kitchen.

Why guys insist on hacking through the pelvic bone is beyond me, except Elk size game. It is so easy to skin down to the tail and ream the bung. Cut the goozle and pull down the cavity, then pull the ahole through the pelvis - done.
Old July 2, 2014, 11:36 AM   #63
1tfl

A cheap $14 Mora knife I got from e-bay couple years ago.
For me it's the perfect knife for gutting, skinning, quartering deer and hogs.
That Swedish blade material is great!
Old September 28, 2014, 03:23 AM   #64
wolverine_173

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMyBMynq6aQ
Old September 28, 2014, 07:51 AM   #65
Skadoosh

Ontario SK-5

Old September 28, 2014, 09:56 AM   #66
Orion6

I use and have used several. Favorite is a Buck 110 Ti my father bought me for Christmas years ago. I love that knife and it holds an edge.

Last year I used a Buck Maxlite Mini fixed blade I got from Buckmasters. Perfect size. Does not hold an edge as well as the 110 Ti but it is light and convenient.
Old September 28, 2014, 10:32 PM   #67
black mamba

Just got a new Bark River "Kalahari" semi-skinner in A2 tool steel. Beautiful, and a beast, too. 9¼" overall length.
The bullnose swell near the tip makes unzipping them easy, and without nicking anything you don't want to under the skin.

Old September 29, 2014, 07:50 AM   #68
Doyle

I really like the shape of Wolverine's knives #s 3, 5, and 7 (from the left).
Old September 30, 2014, 06:30 PM   #69
Jack O'Conner

You can't go wrong with Schrade model Golden Spike. Just the right shape, length, and easy to sharpen steel.

Jack

Old October 2, 2014, 04:50 AM   #70
bamaranger

second comment

I weighed in earlier regards my favorite small fixed blades, the Buck Mini-Mentor and the USA Schrade 154's. They typically do all the work once the deer is on the gimble. But I've gotten away from carrying them in their belt sheaths, through the woods and up the tree with a climber. The knife sheath hangs in my harness now and again, and occassional snags the stand as well when I stand up.

What I've done for the past 5 years or more as a "carry" hunting knife is a full size locking Case Sodbuster. Just drop the thing in my pants pocket. Fairly sleek and easy to carry. It does any small chore I ask it, and will suffice for the occasional gutting (which I do not typically do on the spot). Stainless, flat ground blade. That helps, as the knife stays in the pocket while the pants hang out on the back porch all season. An old Schrade lockback (120?) was pretty rusty after a weekend of that.

The fixed blades come out once the deer is up and I'm at the shed.
Old October 2, 2014, 04:58 PM   #71
Doug S

I've been using a Buck 110 since the 1980s. No complaints.
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #72
North East Redneck

Buck 110 and Buck 119. A folder and a fixed blade. Both serve their intended purpose.
Bought a 110 over twenty years ago, it rode on my hip in its leather sheath through high school and a few years after. Bought a new one last year, same knife, but not fond of the sheath, prefer leather.
Had the 119 for probably 18 years, it handles many jobs well.