The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 17, 2014, 08:26 AM   #1
Willie Lowman

Much love for the shorties

"Hi, my screen name is Willie and am a shotgun accumulator."

I don't shoot shotguns much but I own more shotguns than pistols or rifles. I do love me some NFA stuff so my short shotguns hold a special place in my heart.

My two favorites are my (AOW) 870 Serbu Super Shorty in 3+1 configuration and my police trade in 590A1 (SBS)

(I'm not much of a photo grapher)

The 14" Mossberg is incredibly handy. I wish I had a newer version of the Surefire grip though.

The SSS isn't good for much at all except fun times blasting. At that it excels.
Old May 17, 2014, 09:04 AM   #2
CWKahrFan

Ummm... Aren't those illegal?...

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!
Old May 17, 2014, 09:58 AM   #3
Elkins45

^^^^^

Quote:
I do love me some NFA stuff
This comment leads me to believe he has complied with the requirements of the National Firearms Act (NFA) and has paid the appropriate transfer tax for the guns in his photo. So no, I doubt they are illegal. I suspect he posted pictures of guns he is legally allowed to possess.

You could own one too: all you need is $200 and about 10 months of patience...
Old May 17, 2014, 10:09 AM   #4
CWKahrFan

Cool... Thanks...

Old May 17, 2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkins45
You could own one too: all you need is $200 and about 10 months of patience...
The bottom one is a SBS (short-barreled shotgun) so the transfer tax was $200. But the top one is a Serbu Super Shorty, which is an AOW (any other weapon) so the transfer tax was only $5.

Wille, nice shoguns! I like the pic you've posted before of the huge fireball from your AOW. I want an SBS because they're more practical, but they're still banned here in WA. But AOWs are legal here, and the Serbu is stupid fun to shoot, so I'll probably get one some day.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Elkins45

Why is it an AOW rather than a SBS? Is it the lack of a buttstock? Yep, just Googled it and that's the difference: the receiver originally came from the factory wearing a pistol grip.

Isn't the $195 tax discount offset by the price as compared to chopping your own gun on a Form 1? Or can't a SBS be equipped with a pistol grip?

Last edited by Elkins45; May 17, 2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:31 PM   #7
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkins45
Why is it an AOW rather than a SBS? Is it the lack of a buttstock?
Kind of: In this configuration it could either be an AOW or an SBS. As an SBS it could legally be fitted with a buttstock if Wilie wanted to add one, but as an AOW it can't have a buttstock.

It all depends on how the manufacturer designates it on the Form 2 and Form 3. It also depends on whether the receiver was ever previously fitted with a stock (you can't turn a normal shotgun into an AOW). But the reason I know this is an AOW is because -- as far as I know -- all Serbu Super Shorties are manufactured as AOWs; this gives it the much cheaper transfer tax cost and makes it legal in more places (WA for example). (Also, Willie has mentioned before that it's an AOW.)
Old May 17, 2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Willie Lowman

That's right, Theo.

Having something registered as a SBS give me more flexibility as to what furniture I can put on the gun. Should I want a pistol grip on my 590A1, I can put one on. The SSS is an AOW so all I can do is change from one pistol grip to another. The Hogue Tamer grip it currently has is the best shotgun pistol grip I have ever used.

Fire ball pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWKahrFan
Ummm... Aren't those illegal?...
What? Are you cool? You're not a cop are you?
Old May 17, 2014, 02:06 PM   #9
CWKahrFan

Just tryin' to learn more about the hobby all the time...

Old May 17, 2014, 06:09 PM   #10
Machineguntony

Definitely illegal.

Willie, I'm calling New York and turning you in for $500.

Mayor Bloomberg, please send cash, if you're reading this.
Old May 17, 2014, 07:57 PM   #11
Theohazard

^^^ Sorry Tony, you're too late; I called a few hours ago. That $500 is mine!

No, but Willie, that was the exact pic I was talking about. I got to shoot a bunch of various loads through a coworkers's SSS at the LGS/range I used to work at. Man, those things are fun!
Old May 18, 2014, 07:06 AM   #12
darkgael

fun

Curious.
My first reaction to threads about SBS/AOW is always.... what do you do with the things? What an impractical gun. What a waste of money.

And, y'know......I want one.
Pete
Old May 18, 2014, 09:04 AM   #13
Gbnk82

Do all the same rules apply with a sbs as with other class 3 stuff??i mean I know you have to fill out the form and all and go thru the wait period but do you need to the contact with the ATF of address changes and everything else also??that has been the only thing stopping me so far because I rent I don't want to have to remember to do that every time I move.if I owned my home It probably wouldn't be such a big deal
Old May 18, 2014, 10:42 AM   #14
Theohazard

Gbnk82: When it comes to transport across state lines, the rules differ for various Title 2 firearms ("Class 3" is a misnomer; there's no such thing as a Class 3 firearm). You need to submit a Form 5320.20 to transport your Title 2 firearm across state lines, except in the case of silencers or AOWs.

If you own any Title 2 firearms and you're permanently moving to another state, you need to notify the ATF of your new address. But you're not required to notify the ATF if you're moving within the same state, though they do request that you voluntarily notify them.
Old May 18, 2014, 06:10 PM   #15
mannyCA

Looks fun, great shot! Did you get it on video?
Old May 18, 2014, 07:02 PM   #16
Willie Lowman

Manny, I got that pic of me shooting my SSS from a video a friend made. That was actually the first shot I fired from my Serbu. It was a Federal 00 buck shell.

Darkgael, the AOW is pretty much a fun-gun. Bird shot loads are great for blasting up old boxes or watermelons/pumpkins at close range. Buckshot and slugs have a pretty hefty recoil out of such a small gun. I always tell people shooting it "death grip it and let 'er rip!" A friend (5'5" 150# man) shot a 3" slug out of it one handed. To his credit, he did not drop the gun or hit himself in the face with it. I'm not going to try.

The SBS is extremely functional. The short barrel makes it very handy in bushy woods, or in a house.

Last edited by Willie Lowman; May 18, 2014 at 07:30 PM.