The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 16, 2014, 10:17 PM   #1
Model12Win

Bill Jordan holsters?

Hey guys!

Well I've suffered long enough with my... economical... BLACKHAWK! brand Wal-Mart special nylon holster that I bought for my Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel. Concerning the revolver, I adore it but will be trading it in towards the same gun but with a 4" bbl when I can find one again. The 6" tube is too muzzle heavy and bulky for my needs. But back to the holster-

The BLACKHAWK! holster is not that great, and I've been looking into some quality leather for when I get my GP100 with a 4" barrel. But you see, I'm not so well versed in the world of holsters...

What I'm looking for specifically is more of a "duty" or "police" style holster for my gun. The holster will be used for carrying around the home and my yard as well as maybe while hunting and for taking into the creek for target shooting fun and hiking. Basically concealability is of 0 concern, and I've been examining my options for a good duty style holster for my GP100 and I've come across an interesting design called the "Border Patrol" holster that was originally developed by Bill Jordan.

The leather firm Tex Shoemaker makes a version of this holster that looks very nice and it gets good reviews. I really like the design of the holster and it looks very cool and useful. But, before I fork over the $100+ for the thing I have some questions that hopefully you guys can answer:

1. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Border Patrol style holster?
2. Is Tex Shoemaker a good company to deal with? Is it worth the $?
3. Are there any other "duty" style holsters that I should look at? Or is the Border Patrol holster a winner?

I hope to learn something from this thread,

Thanks!
Old May 16, 2014, 10:44 PM   #2
Sgt127

Well, I carried several guns for quite a few years in a Jordan holster. It's a good holster. Very solid. Keeps the gun where it needs to be. Great for standing and walking, not as good for sitting and driving.

I think the Don Humes were about $50 back in the late 70's so, based on inflation, $100 seems about right. Shoemaker makes quality stuff, if you like a gun hanging off your hip, I think it will serve you well.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:37 PM   #3
JC57

When I was a cop in the late 70s through early 90s, that's pretty much exactly what my duty holster looked like (even down to the black basketweave). I used to prefer Bianchi holsters in those days, to the point of buying them myself, and that's what I bought. Carried a S&W Model 66 for about 10 years (before we switched to semi-autos) in one of those. Just seeing the pic brings back memories.

And yeah, I recall easily paying around $50 back in the early 80s for something like that, so $100 today isn't out of line.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:42 AM   #4
tomrkba

Safariland has a few revolver holsters that may work for you. Check their "Will fit" charts.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:29 PM   #5
jackpine

Quote:
1. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Border Patrol style holster?
2. Is Tex Shoemaker a good company to deal with? Is it worth the $?
3. Are there any other "duty" style holsters that I should look at? Or is the Border Patrol holster a winner?
The traditional way to make a Border patrol model is with an exposed trigger guard and that has caused a few A.D.'s before and the retaining strap is slow and can get in the way of reholstering. Tex Shoemaker is one of the better holster makers along with El Paso Saddlery
Old May 25, 2014, 08:00 PM   #6
357 Python

I owned a Border Patrol holster by Tex Shoemaker many years ago. The angle was far too extreme for me. Check E-bay for a Don Hume, Safariland, or a Bianchi made version. Don Hume made them under license from Bill Jordan. Also check El Paso Saddlery as they also made them. The Jordan Border Patrol holster was one of the most popular designs of police duty holsters ever made for revolvers. How good can E-bay be? A couple years ago I bought a Safariland police duty swivel holster. The holster was brand new and never issued even though that model had not been made in about 20 years. The bid was $10 and it was the only bid.
Old May 25, 2014, 08:04 PM   #7
armsmaster270

Bianchi for me. Both in Military Police and civilian police.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:30 AM   #8
Sgt127

Don't know how you are built but, if you are toting a 6" revolver, a border patrol holster may be a good match. I tried a high ride holster for a 6" and wound up with the gun butt nearly in my armpit before the muzzle cleared (I'm 6' but a 35 inseam, short torso, long legs).

Gotta second eBay. Found some in incredible deals.

I "think" a S&W L frame holster or a Python holster should fit your GP.
Old May 27, 2014, 08:38 AM   #9
kraigwy

I highly recommend against any holster that does not cover the trigger.

If you want that style of holster, find one that is modified or built so the trigger is not exposed.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 27, 2014, 09:27 AM   #10
pax

You couldn't pay me to carry an exposed-trigger holster. State of the art, and our understanding of fundamental holster safety, has advanced since Jordan's day.

for around the same price, I would be looking at a scabbard style holster with a covered trigger guard. I am a big fan of the "Thrasos" from Soteria Leather, but there are many excellent holsters of that same basic design. Expect to pay around $100 to $150 for a good one, depending on the options you choose.

pax
Old May 27, 2014, 06:28 PM   #11
unit 900

"You couldn't pay me to carry an exposed-trigger holster. State of the art, and our understanding of fundamental holster safety, has advanced since Jordan's day.

for around the same price, I would be looking at a scabbard style holster with a covered trigger guard. I am a big fan of the "Thrasos" from Soteria Leather, but there are many excellent holsters of that same basic design. Expect to pay around $100 to $150 for a good one, depending on the options you choose."

I concur with Pax's advice. I was issued a similar holster as a rookie police officer in 1975. After one night on a busy 12x8 shift, I drove 40 miles to a cops shop and bought a Safariland holster that was far more suitable. Additionally, duty holsters do not ride close to the body and so may be prone to catch on vegetation of other things. The exposed trigger becomes a booby trap in heavy foliage. The clearance for heavy winter coats to be tucked behind/around a duty holster makes it so.
Old May 28, 2014, 07:06 AM   #12
RKG

Once upon a time, I carried by K and N frame revolvers (both 4”) in Jordan-style holsters, and I had another one made for 6” N frames that I used for my 6” K frame PPC gun. Loved them then and love them now, though they’re not used so much any more. I also have a sort-of Jordan style holster made in South Africa for my N frame .44, which is my “walk in the woods” gun, but it rides a bit higher than a true Jordan and works with an 1-1/2 belt vs. a duty belt.

The 4” holsters are not true Jordans, as they have thumb breaks rather than straps. (The PPC holster didn’t matter, as the strap was unsnapped before the targets turned.) The SA is also a thumb break.

I couldn’t agree less with those who feel the exposed trigger is a safety issue. No amount of encounters with brush or twigs is going to pull the DA trigger of a S&W revolver, particularly if the thumb break is engaged, and once your hand is on the revolver, trigger control is a training issue, not a holster issue.

As someone noted, Jordans are not the greatest for driving or sitting in a chair. Not only does the gun hang up on the seat, but after a while you’ll begin to bend the metal plate sewn into the loop drop, which causes the revolver grips to ride even further from the body. And, while in my judgment Jordans are fine for walking in the woods in the fall, they are not (again, just an opinion) the thing for “street” use by civilians because they are out in the open.

If you are going to use a Jordan style holster, you have to consider the belt. In general, you’re going to need a wide 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 duty belt, particularly if you’re going to carry accessories on the belt. And you should also get a couple of “keepers” to keep the duty belt from riding up as you draw the revolver. Trying to rig a true Jordan on a dress belt means that you can’t use keepers and the holster is likely to ride up with the revolver if you have to draw in a hurry.

Which brings up the question of outer wear. Jordan holsters are meant to be worn with either a short jacket or a coat with a gun-slot and snap so that the revolver rides outside the coat. If you’re going to go walking in the woods with a more conventional civilian coat or parka, you have to consider having a second belt that is long enough to wear outside the coat, which means you’re going to have to forego the keepers. Something to think about if you’re walking in bear country in the fall.
Old May 28, 2014, 07:39 AM   #13
kraigwy

I was issued a Jordon border patrol holster when I first hired on with the Anchorage Police Dept. in 1974, carried it all the way home where I tossed it in a junk drawer and bought a used Hoyt.

The Hoyt is a break front, inside snap, almost impossible to get the gun out unless you're the one using it and THE TRIGGER IS NOT EXPOSED.

The thing about police work is you're going to spend more time wrestling bandits on a bar room floor then shooting them and security is crucial.

In my 20 years on the department, many tired but no one was able to get my gun out.

Yet the Hoyt comfortable when sitting or riding in a patrol car and is extremely fast. Some 40 years later I still have that holster and use it in ICORE Competition. Also got one for my 6 in Model 27, which I special ordered and has my badge number and the gun's serial number stamped in.

Sad part is Hoyt (a small family business) is no longer making holsters.

A little side note: I was doing a search on the internet trying to find another Hoyt and got a hit on someone selling one on the Firing Line for sale section. I joined and my first post was inquiring about the Hoyt, Never got a response but I've been here every since.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 28, 2014, 08:18 AM   #14
pax

Kraig,

That reminds me of the incident last year in Lodi, CA, where a kid in a crowd at a street fair reached over and pulled the trigger on a cop's holstered gun. Cop ended up with a fairly serious leg injury.

pax
Old May 28, 2014, 08:35 AM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

1) Pax - I didn't hear that about the Lodi cop. Then again, being in Colorado, I don't follow CA news. My buddies who are still in uniform didn't tell me either (guess it wasn't important enough).

2) I can't see using the Bill Jordan holster for around the house or garden. Remember those holsters take the wider sam browne belt and wearing two belts gets heavy. I prefer a holster that slides onto the normal trouser belt (but I use a heavier trouser belt that can support the weight of the holstered firearm).

3) Re: Tex Shoemaker, many of us used Tex Shoemaker products. I think my double cuff case, key holder and a few other things were from Tex Shoemaker. My holster was the Safariiland SS III 070 with triple retention. When you have to wade through a crowd, there's less chance of being disarmed (additionally my elbow was always pressed or resting against the butt). ETA: when I carried a wheelgun, I carried it in a Hoyt break front holster. They're nice but Hoyt has been out of business for years.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:02 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Gary...

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/...reading-event/
Old May 28, 2014, 12:03 PM   #17
pax

Gary: http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...NEWS/309030309

pax
Old May 28, 2014, 03:40 PM   #18
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks Pax & Brian. So much for the Glock safe-action.

Kraigwy - A. E. Nelson makes a Hoyt break-front clone. The difference is that they have a strap behind the trigger guard. http://nelsonleather.com/index.php?cPath=73_76_79
Old May 30, 2014, 10:56 AM   #19
RickB

I've carried a number of different guns in a number of different holster styles, including a S&W N-frame in an El Paso "Patton" rig, which uses a holster similar to the Border Patrol style.
For all-day, wear-everywhere use, I'd want something higher, and closer to the body than a Border Patrol.
The lower the gun rides, the more likely you are going to bang it into things, and they can get in the way when sitting.
My current revolver holster is a Safariland 568, which is not high on style, being made from plastics, but it carries the gun high and tight to the body, and has a lot of adjustability for fit. It's open-topped, but you can adjust the retention screws to hold the gun as securely as you want.
Old June 21, 2014, 10:42 PM   #20
FM12

Ebay is your friend for used leather. www.ebay.com