The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 27, 2014, 10:55 AM   #1
spacecoast

Cured my Hi-Standard's extraction problems

A few months ago I purchased a 1958-vintage Hi-Standard Supermatic Trophy - a beautiful gun in ~99% condition. I've tried to use it in a few Bullseye matches but have had consistent extraction problems that struck two or three times a match, at least.

On the advice of another shooter, I upgraded to the Volquartsen exact edge extractor and am happy to report that the issue seems to be solved, at least I had no extraction problems at all in yesterday's match. Not only does the Volquartsen extractor have a more pronounced and stronger-looking "hook" for the edge of the brass, the extractor itself is .005" thicker overall than the old one and wobbles less in its slot.

Given that the gun has had so little use in 55+ years, I was surprised that the original extractor (which looked to have little if any wear) was so deficient, but yet it was.

My next move is to replace the recoil spring. From time to time I'm still seeing feeding problems (not going fully into battery) so hopefully a fresh spring from Wolff will make a difference. I bought the OEM strength spring (5.5 pounds) as well as the 3-pack ranging from 6 to 7 pounds. I always use standard velocity ammo (Federal Auto Match only so far), so I'm not sure how functional the higher value springs would be.

If I can make this gun as reliable as it is accurate I will really have something to help boost my scores.

Last edited by spacecoast; April 27, 2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old April 27, 2014, 11:12 AM   #2
geetarman

Beautiful gun.

Carpe Cerveza
Old April 27, 2014, 01:35 PM   #3
10-96

Spacecoast- I got the wonderments about why the new springs aren't curing all your woes. Even if it can't be seen with the nekkid eye- is there a chance the previous owner dry fired it once too many times?

It might be interesting if you take a sharpie to the cases of a few rounds and cycle them through. If the scraped-off ink indicates a dimple in the area of the firing pin (in the breechface area)- then it might be time for a chamber swage and VERY careful dimple removing.

High Standards are kinda known for needing quite precise magazine lip shape- but that would cause loading problems very early in the forward movement of the slide. Not so much in the final 'going into battery' part.

Just a thought or two.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old April 27, 2014, 06:54 PM   #4
spacecoast

10-96 -

Actually, I haven't changed out the recoil spring yet, that's the next step in trying to resolve the chambering issue. I can't see a peening problem related to the firing pin, but I suppose it would be something to check out after that. I'm hoping the 56 year old springs are just a little tired. I'd also like to try out some CCI SV ammo but just can't find any for now, so I'm using the Federal.

I've been through the drill on the magazine feed lips, have tweaked them a bit for the optimal dimensions and they seem to be working well. I only had one when I got the gun, then I tried a Triple K mag that never worked well and I returned. I found one on eBay just like my original and it seems to be working fine. The lips on the original mags are much sturdier than the Triple K version.
Old April 30, 2014, 03:13 PM   #5
dgludwig

Quote:
High Standards are kinda known for needing quite precise magazine lip shape- but that would cause loading problems very early in the forward movement of the slide. Not so much in the final 'going into battery' part.
This is true; one of the reasons being that all of the Hi-Standard .22 autos in my experience rely on the magazine lips/follower to guide the round into the chamber. There is no "feed ramp" per se.
Old May 1, 2014, 02:26 PM   #6
Tortuga12

Is Auto Match std. velocity? I thought it was still high vel. ammo. Of course, I put about 3k rounds through my Supermatic Military before I heard anything about the frame crack issue w/o any ill effects, so perhaps it doesn't matter!
Old May 2, 2014, 02:56 PM   #7
glenncal1

You might try polishing the feedramp as well

Many K and N Frames
Old May 2, 2014, 07:54 PM   #8
dgludwig

No feed ramp to polish on most, if not all, Hi-Standards (see post no. 5).