The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old March 30, 2014, 11:54 AM   #26
castnblast

I tumble my brass for about 15 minutes after I resize but prior to priming. Seems to get off the extra goo. Powder residue also stick to the case if you skip this process. That extra residue finds it's way into your media when you tumble your brass if you skip this little step.
Old March 30, 2014, 06:22 PM   #27
Real Gun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with that.
Didn't say there was anything wrong with it, only that it is a waste of time.
I guess you are just speaking for yourself.
Old April 1, 2014, 11:40 AM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

What I can't see is anything to agree or disagree with. Considering the multitude of optional steps one can elect to employ when handloading, and the multitude of different responses you get from different guns and loading equipment, the only rational thing is to test them for yourself to see if you can discern a benefit. If not, it's a waste of your time, though it may not turn out to be a waste of someone else's.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old April 1, 2014, 04:40 PM   #29
schmellba99

Another method to remove lube is to use some non CFC brake parts cleaner. Works great on HP or lead rounds.

I put about 100 or so rounds in the middle of an old towel, then give a decent shot of cleaner. Wrap the corners of the towel up and work the rounds around by hand. Let the residue evaporate for about 5 minutes and you have clean rounds that go bang sans exterior lube. For me, it's a lot easier than using a vibratory tumbler.
Old April 1, 2014, 05:19 PM   #30
44flattop

Quote:
I guess you are just speaking for yourself.
I'm always speaking for myself. Who else would I speak for?

Some shooters find handloading to be pleasurable all by itself. They are more apt to go to more effort and include somewhat unnecessary steps in the process because they like doing it. Got no problem with that, everyone has to do what pleases them. Just making the point that it's not a "necessary" step.
Old April 1, 2014, 09:01 PM   #31
Unclenick
Staff

You can't define necessity without knowing the object of the exercise or the variables involved. As I said, there's nothing to agree or disagree about here. It was actually a hint to let go and move on from the argument, but apparently that didn't take, so I'll offer an example:

You may find it an unnecessary waste of time to sort bullets by weight, while a guy having issues with the consistency of his casting technique may find it the only way to identify bullets good enough to stay in the black at his local bullseye league matches. If you don't know his objective is adequate precision for conventional pistol bullseye matches, or that the variable of his poor casting technique is involved, you can't know, in advance of troubleshooting, what he does or doesn't need to do. There's no universal truth here as to whether bullet weighing is necessary or unnecessary. All you can say is: "it depends". Try it and see if makes a difference to what you are shooting.

The same applies to most loading techniques that are extra to the fundamentals.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old April 2, 2014, 09:32 AM   #32
Real Gun

That's all very logical, but I think the actual problem here is the repeated use of dismissive, arrogant language. More considerate wording would solve it and preclude all the challenge, clarification/backpedaling, digging-in cycles.
Old April 2, 2014, 11:13 AM   #33
Unclenick
Staff

O.K. Nobody can let go. Thread closed.
NRA Benefactor Member
Closed Thread