The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 27, 2014, 10:59 AM   #26
SamNavy

I'm not up to speed on whether the FBI typically arrests people on multiple Federal felony charges who they know/expect will just plea down to misdemeanor...

Quote:
Yee discussed helping the agent get weapons worth $500,000 to $2.5 million, including shoulder fired automatic weapons and missiles, and took him through the entire process of acquiring them from a Muslim separatist group in the Philippines to bringing them to the United States, according to the affidavit by FBI Special Agent Emmanuel V. Pascua.

Last edited by SamNavy; March 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old March 27, 2014, 11:00 AM   #27
Jim March

To me the really good news is, he was working with genuine Islamic terrorists on two continents.

There is NO WAY the US government can downplay that. Just...no. Unless the affidavits prove to be total BS somehow Yee is *done*.
Old March 27, 2014, 12:17 PM   #28
csmsss

No way this goes to trial. My prediction is that Yee will claim some sort of mental incapacity due to all of the racism he will claim to have experienced, and DoJ will accept a deal to something like obstruction or the like.

And it's quite likely that somehow, someway, the antis will attempt to spin this as an example of why MORE gun control measures are necessary at both the state and federal levels.
Old March 27, 2014, 12:18 PM   #29
Vanya
Staff

As much as I love the smell of irony in the morning, it seems to me that the most likely "spin" on this by the anti-gun crowd will be that the seduction of one of their own is yet another demonstration of the evil power of guns. And pointing out that it's really about the evil power of money won't help very much...
Old March 27, 2014, 12:24 PM   #30
Tom Servo
Staff

I dunno. It would be one thing if he'd been caught with a concealed weapon or something like that.

In this case, we're talking about an offer to traffic in illegal machine guns and rocket launchers, and from an Islamist militant faction no less. That's a hard one to spin.
Old March 27, 2014, 12:26 PM   #31
jimpeel

He will use the DeLorean defense. "I wouldn't have done it if the FBI hadn't talked me into it."

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old March 27, 2014, 12:28 PM   #32
jimpeel

Quote:
... the most likely "spin" on this by the anti-gun crowd will be that the seduction of one of their own is yet another demonstration of the evil power of guns.
The siren song of the allure of guns. There ya go.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old March 27, 2014, 01:03 PM   #33
speedrrracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
I dunno. It would be one thing if he'd been caught with a concealed weapon or something like that.

In this case, we're talking about an offer to traffic in illegal machine guns and rocket launchers, and from an Islamist militant faction no less. That's a hard one to spin.
+1 if true, no way you can spin out of this stuff. Terrorism is the new radioactive, so the antis will not fight to save Yee, lest they get some (more?) on themselves.

The sad thing, if true, is that he is rumored to be free on (unsecured) bail. How can we have terrorists who sell rocket launchers walking our streets with our children?
Old March 27, 2014, 01:19 PM   #34
maestro pistolero

Quote:
Heck, I'm all the way over here in Arkansas, and even I knew what a gun-grabber Yee was, even before this!

Thanks, Tom.
Tom, tell CNN. It didn't even make it on to their website yesterday. They did, however, find room for a story about a chocolate factory. :roll eyes:

ETA: CNN not running it today, either. Wait, let me check the US page for top stories and see what's more important:

Quote:
TOP U.S. STORIES
Wife: Penn State sex abuse scandal takes toll on Sandusky children
Chilling voicemail a clue in boy's death? Video
Suspect in Palm Beach rapes extradited to U.S.
Suspect in slayings of mother and son makes FBI's Top Ten list
CDC: 1 in 68 U.S. children has autism
PTSD a big problem for neighborhoods with high violent crime
O'Hare train crash: Driver fell asleep, system failed, NTSB says
Secret Service agents sent home after 1 passes out in hotel
School reverses shaved head suspension Video
Mississippi moves to execute its 1st female prisoner since 1944
Nope.

Politics page:

Quote:
TOP POLITICAL NEWS
Obama praises economic aid to Ukraine
Dem senator: Time to hold Russia accountable for its aggression
Obama: Government should stop collecting, holding phone data
Rand Paul takes another step towards White House run
CNNMoney: Obamacare's amazing comeback
Boehner on Obamacare extension: 'What the hell is this, a joke?'
Charlotte mayor accused of bribery, extortion
N.C. governor heartbroken, angry at mayor Video
Justices appear to back Secret Service in protest dispute
Nope.

Justice Page:

Quote:
TOP JUSTICE STORIES
Wife: Penn State sex abuse scandal takes toll on Sandusky children
Suspect in slayings of mother and son makes FBI's Top Ten list
Girl, 8, abducted by shelter's janitor? Video
Suspect in Palm Beach rapes extradited to U.S.
In Japan, world's longest-serving death row inmate to get retrial
Now THIS is a neighborhood watch sign Video
New York to pay $100,000 to Brooklyn man beaten by cops
Bieber house guest Lil Za gets charge reduced
Justices appear to back Secret Service in protest dispute
And nope.

Last edited by maestro pistolero; March 27, 2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old March 27, 2014, 02:41 PM   #35
Theohazard

The Washington Post has an article on Yee titled: "Calif. state senator arrested for alleged gun-running was gun-control advocate." Here's the first paragraph:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Washington Post
California state Sen. Leland Yee (D) was arrested Wednesday at his home in San Francisco and accused of — among many, many other things — offering to procure some seriously illegal weapons. The irony: Yee was one of the driving forces behind some of the toughest gun-control legislation in the country during his tenure in the state Senate.
The Washington Post is a lot more even-handed than many people give them credit for. And even when their reporting seems relatively single-sided, they appear to be making more of an effort to be fair than many other news outlets.
Old March 27, 2014, 03:09 PM   #36
44 AMP
Staff

The left leaning media will ignore this as long as they possibly can. pro gunners are going to be prematurely giddy.

What really too bad is that the legislation Yee pushed/sponsored will stand long after he is gone. See Shakespeare on that....
Old March 27, 2014, 04:18 PM   #37
Al Norris
Staff

I should note that the AP put it all out on the wire, shortly after the arrest. As well as putting out a couple of updates. It is up to the individual news outlets to pick it up.
Old March 27, 2014, 04:36 PM   #38
Jim March

The Washington Post was just bought by one of the Amazon.com billionaires and went and hired Radley Balko and the Volokh bunch as bloggers...both extremely Libertarian.
Old March 27, 2014, 10:08 PM   #39
Tom Servo
Staff

Alrighty, guys. A bunch of posts just got deleted for inappropriate language, inappropriate suggestions of prison treatment, and partisan politics. Let's keep the forum rules in mind before posting, no matter how much schadenfreude the situation brings us.
Old March 28, 2014, 12:33 PM   #40
Lavan

So this is the face of gun control; big time politician involved in gun running.
This sure vindicates the opinions of many gun hobbyists like myself who have always warned that gun control will simply start a new and powerful crime surge such as happened with prohibition.
Keep it "illegal" to get certain firearms and a black market for them will immediately appear. And, demonstrating again the venal new trend toward corruption of authority at so many government levels, it appears that the "top" gun controllers simply want a new source of cash.
Old March 28, 2014, 06:25 PM   #41
Chris_B

makes me wonder how many things he leant support and effort to that were simply to enhance his extra-curricular activities.
Old March 28, 2014, 09:09 PM   #42
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
makes me wonder how many things he leant support and effort to that were simply to enhance his extra-curricular activities.
Quite a bit, actually. I read his affidavit over lunch today, and it's positively surreal.

Basically, he had to pay off the bills from a failed mayoral election before he campaigned for Secretary of State. Illegal contributions were made, deals were made to launder money, and then the drugs and weapons got involved.

It's 137 pages, and the list of misdeeds is quite dense.
Old March 28, 2014, 09:36 PM   #43
Armybrat

The NRA is all over this dirtbag:

Old March 28, 2014, 10:11 PM   #44
Nick_C_S

Corrupt News Network

STILL not a word about it from CNN.
Old March 28, 2014, 10:25 PM   #45
Tom Servo
Staff

IIRC, the New York Times mentioned it, but it was at the very back of section A.

Apparently it's all over the local news in California, though.
Old March 29, 2014, 12:08 AM   #46
44 AMP
Staff

MSN finally has coverage of Lee withdrawing from his run for Secretary of State. Also mention how he is being "accused" and makes no mention of his arrest.

Added
Lee is now suspended from the CA legislature. Cannot exercise power of his office until criminal charges are settled. He still draws his $95k+ salary.
Old March 29, 2014, 03:21 AM   #47
stevelyn

Quote:
The Washington Post is a lot more even-handed than many people give them credit for. And even when their reporting seems relatively single-sided, they appear to be making more of an effort to be fair than many other news outlets.

Quote:
The Washington Post was just bought by one of the Amazon.com billionaires and went and hired Radley Balko and the Volokh bunch as bloggers...both extremely Libertarian.
That's awesome. That would explain the even-handedness.

They keep that up and I may have to resort to reading the WP on a regular basis.

Squished bugs on a windshield is proof the slow/heavy bullet theory works.
Old March 29, 2014, 05:10 AM   #48
Bartholomew Roberts

You know who else besides Lee is buddies with Raymond Chow? Sen. Diane Feinstein has given Chow awards for his community involvement.

I wonder what the chances are that a San Francisco crime lord and the former Mayor of San Francisco have more than a passing familiarity with each other?

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; March 29, 2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old March 29, 2014, 08:59 AM   #49
ThesNazud

I would laugh until I peed if Lee sings and Fienstien is connected criminally....
Old March 29, 2014, 09:21 AM   #50
steve4102

Quote:
STILL not a word about it from CNN.
I'm guessing they going to wait until Sept. Oct. By then the Feds will have indicted several Republicans.. Then they will cover it 24/7 and all this present day corruption from the Democrats will be forgotten.