The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 26, 2014, 05:50 PM   #1
Destructo6

California State Senator Leland Yee Indicted

CA State Senator Leland Yee (D-San Francisco) was indicted today, along with a known criminal associate Raymond "Shrimp Boy" Chow, on a number of corruption and criminal charges to include..."trafficking in firearms."

To those unfamiliar (CA TFLers probably know the name well), Yee sponsored several anti-gun measures in CA, to include banning the "bullet button".

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...-state-senator

Keep all of them clean.
Old March 26, 2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Isk

I was just reading about this. "Trafficking in firearms" is showing up on several news sites now. If this is true, I hope it turns into a useful talking point for California gun owners.
Old March 26, 2014, 06:28 PM   #3
jrwhitt

All I can say is Karma !

If he is truly indicted for gun running I'll be so happy
Old March 26, 2014, 07:16 PM   #4
KyJim

A fair portion of my state is "dry," meaning no alcoholic beverages can be sold. The running observation/joke is that whenever there is a local option election on whether to go wet, the preachers and bootleggers are on the same side trying to stop alcohol sales. Maybe Yee's alleged gun trafficking gave him a motive to stifle competition from legitimate dealers by pushing for restrictive gun laws.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old March 26, 2014, 07:17 PM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

I love a good dose of irony.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old March 26, 2014, 08:08 PM   #6
speedrrracer

Yes, this opens up lots of "hopes" for us here in CA. I suppose they're unlikely to come to fruition, but if nothing else, we got a potential criminal off the streets, and in to Bubba's loving embrace
Old March 26, 2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
"Trafficking in firearms" is showing up on several news sites now. If this is true, I hope it turns into a useful talking point for California gun owners.
Oh. Wow. The guys at Calguns should be rejoicing right about now. He once lashed out at them by name.

Yee was one of the most persistent, vocal, and extreme politicians on gun control in California.

That said, will this change the political landscape? I'm not sure. Let's remember that at least 16 of Bloomberg's pet mayors have gotten in legal trouble, some of which involved firearms. Yet it hasn't deterred him one bit.
Old March 26, 2014, 09:06 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Just on the off chance that anyone is interested [/endsarcasm], the affidavit in support of criminal complaint can be found here.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old March 26, 2014, 09:08 PM   #9
Jim March

Apparently he was hooked up in a deal to get major arms (rocket launchers, full-auto) from Islamic terrorists in the Philippines. Some of it was going to end up in the US, the rest would be trans-shipped to North Africa - I guess that would be "Jihad Joe" types anywhere from Algeria to Egypt?

Oh man I hope those charges pan out. Mega-doses of karma going on here...
Old March 26, 2014, 09:13 PM   #10
SamNavy

Mustn't do it... can't help it... gotta hold it in... just a second longer...

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
Old March 26, 2014, 09:16 PM   #11
Librarian

Quote:
Oh. Wow. The guys at Calguns should be rejoicing right about now. He once lashed out at them by name.
Yeah, kinda!

The FAQ page is here.
Old March 26, 2014, 09:37 PM   #12
SHR970

Quote:
CA State Senator Leland Yee (D-San Francisco) was indicted today, along with a known criminal associate Raymond "Shrimp Boy" Chow, on a number of corruption and criminal charges to include..."trafficking in firearms."
I didn't know that shoulder fired missiles were "Firearms" At least that is what AP says in paragraph 4...link below.

AP Story

This ought to get interesting; I would like to know what evidence the FBI really has and I would REALLY like to be on that jury!
Old March 26, 2014, 09:50 PM   #13
Jim March

Highlights from the indictment:

http://www.modernluxury.com/san-fran...ay-davis-shame

He was in bed with Islamic terrorists on two continents, Triads in California and elsewhere and (he thought) La Cosa Nostra (actually FBI, sad for him).

Seriously, this is a massive win for our side. Every single grabber politician should be asked which gang is paying them off to make us easy victims.
Old March 27, 2014, 12:20 AM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
[The agent] asked about shoulder fired automatic weapons. Senator Yee responded by saying the automatic weapons are the equivalent to the "M16" Automatic Service Weapon [...] [The agent] asked about the availability of shoulder fire missiles or rockets. Senator Yee responded 'I told him about the rockets and things like that.
Oh. Good. Heavens. Wow.

And yet, he didn't even want his own constituents to have bullet buttons. Or 3D printers. Or...well, you get the point.
Old March 27, 2014, 12:23 AM   #15
Fishing_Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim March
Seriously, this is a massive win for our side. Every single grabber politician should be asked which gang is paying them off to make us easy victims.
Not sure it is a win, or a massive win, for our side. As much as I wish we could ask every politician who supports gun control which gang is paying them, some actually believe it to be a just cause. If I had to guess, I would say it is a foot note right now.

What we need most is to tie this case and others to the anti movements. That is a stretch I know. We need to try to tie in all of the anti's to stuff like this so that they have no room to be against it anymore. Unfortunately I do not see anyone disowning Yee at this point.
Old March 27, 2014, 12:31 AM   #16
maestro pistolero

When Yee gets done singing like a canary there are are likely to be all kinds of skeletons falling out of closets, whether related to these charges or not. At this point his life, as he knows it, is over.

He has everything to gain and nothing to lose by spilling the goods on everyone he knows. I would not be surprised if plenty of folks are quaking in their boots right now. Birds of a feather, etc.
Old March 27, 2014, 06:29 AM   #17
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Got a link where I can read about this? I'm curious.

Old March 27, 2014, 08:26 AM   #18
jimpeel

Call it what you may -- kismet, karma -- the result will be that we will have this to throw in the faces of the anti-firearms crowd. Not that it will do much good as it hasn't in the past. He will join the long list of other anti-firearms hypocrites.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old March 27, 2014, 08:30 AM   #19
steve4102

Sorry, but I don't think much of anything will come of this.
I find it hard to believe that Holder and Co. will allow the prosecution of one of their own.

A plea to some petty misdemeanor, a slap on the wrist if anything at all.
Old March 27, 2014, 09:21 AM   #20
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Got a link where I can read about this? I'm curious.
Here's a link to a discussion thread on the matter. He was literally the worst of the gun-grabber bunch in California.

Quote:
I doubt it in this case. The charges are too serious and too wide-ranging.
Old March 27, 2014, 09:45 AM   #21
Jay24bal

Quote:
Quote:

I doubt it in this case. The charges are too serious and too wide-ranging.
Yeah, I have to agree with this. He did not make "an honest mistake" and fail to secure a handgun based on whatever crazy law CA has or forget a CCW permit at home. The guy is purportedly an international arms dealer selling automatic weapons and small artillery.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old March 27, 2014, 10:14 AM   #22
Spats McGee
Staff

Heck, I'm all the way over here in Arkansas, and even I knew what a gun-grabber Yee was, even before this!

Thanks, Tom.

Old March 27, 2014, 10:31 AM   #23
TATER

They just have not had time,..Make no doubt, It WILL get spun.
Nothing will come of it.
Old March 27, 2014, 10:47 AM   #24
TATER

Let's see…….. I can envision the Hero angle..
He was actually working a sting, to get these weapons out of circulation. That's the Ticket.. In all seriousness though, I have lost faith with This judicial system.
Old March 27, 2014, 10:54 AM   #25
HiBC

Here is another link to an article on this topic:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...ffic-firearms/