The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 14, 2014, 04:16 PM   #1
sully2311

'Stuck' ramrod on a hawken .50 bp rifle

Hello, my father picked up a 50cal hawken rifle today... Beauty of a piece but the ramrod is stuck he says... It pulls about an inch but stops... Is it screwed in or something?
Old March 14, 2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Hawg

No, it may have a spring inside the nose cap and hanging on it or it may be warped.
Old March 14, 2014, 04:28 PM   #3
TomADC

Does the rifle have a removable breech plug? Maybe tap it out. Or maybe one of the CO2 discharge kits. Make sure its pointed in a safe direction!
Be Safe..
Old March 14, 2014, 04:29 PM   #4
g.willikers

Was the ramrod stuck there when he bought it or did he do it?
The reason for the question is to determine why it's stuck.
If it was already there, maybe it's got a bullet puller on the end and is stuck on a jammed in bullet.
Old March 14, 2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Hawg

I'm thinking its stuck in the ramrod channel, not the barrel.
Old March 14, 2014, 04:52 PM   #6
TomADC

If its stuck in the ramrod channel maybe it has a lock that needs to be depressed. Since it moves and stops??
Old March 14, 2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Hawg

I don't know of any Hawken with a ramrod lock.
Old March 14, 2014, 05:17 PM   #8
Captchee

some of the production models have a S spring thats retained by the front lock bolt . the spring retains friction on the rr so it will not simply fall out . if someone put the spring in backwards and the rod has a brass end , or the rod is alittle rough , it can catch .
to check if thats the case , simply pull the barrel key and lift the barrel out . you should see the spring in the channel . with the bartrel out you can then remove the spring
Old March 14, 2014, 05:22 PM   #9
wogpotter

Assuming its stuck in the ramrod channel.

Pull the barrel I bet you money the "U" spring has flipped over & is snagging on the end cap.

If it isn't then its probably been allowed to fall out when pulling the lock for cleaning & installed upside down on the cross screw.

It should be reinstalled facing back towards the butt &with the curve down.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 14, 2014, 05:59 PM   #10
sully2311

Got it out... Yep, there was a s bent clip at the base of the channel.
Got the barrel loosened up enough to get the catch to let go. Thanks guys!

(Brass ends- btw)
Old March 14, 2014, 07:23 PM   #11
bedbugbilly

Ahhh . . . wogpotter . . . if it is a Hawken and it is stuck in the ramrod channel . . . a Hawken is a half stock which means the ramrod would be on the inside of the barrel thimbles and in the fore stock. Not being picky here . . just saying . . . stuck in the fore stock and through the thimbles, it's going to be a real job to get that barrel off?

Glad you got it solved Sully . . . now go and enjoy shooting it!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 14, 2014, 08:44 PM   #12
Captchee

your right bed bug . it will slip alittle though and alot of times just enough to allow the under lug to slip the stock and thus slide the barrel down the RR . also with those S springs , when you slide int he RR is forces the spring up against the barrel . by pulling the pin it will let just enough pressure off the spring so as to pull the RR or slip the barrel
Old March 15, 2014, 09:15 AM   #13
wogpotter

Its not a problem, the barrel just lifts off away from the spring when you push out the wedge & pull up on the end.
The ramrod, barrel & thimbles all come off as a unit & the ramrod just lifts up from the channel which is open at the top.

Old March 15, 2014, 09:40 AM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
Its not a problem, the barrel just lifts off away from the spring when you push out the wedge & pull up on the end.
The ramrod, barrel & thimbles all come off as a unit & the ramrod just lifts up from the channel which is open at the top
I don't think they all will. Mine won't but its hand made.
Old March 15, 2014, 09:50 AM   #15
Pahoo

So true !!!

Quote:
I don't think they all will. Mine won't but its hand made.
You are correct and I can tell you by the description of the problem and fix, it is not a TC model. There are a number of ways that manufacturers use to retain a wooden RamRod. Some better than others .....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 15, 2014, 10:52 AM   #16
4V50 Gary
Staff

My Trapper pistol is like that. The ramrod won't come out of the channel and I have to pull the barrel to allow it to be pulled free.

The way the maker drilled the wedge hole was too close to the barrel (I also had to re-drill the ramrod hole as it was canted too far up toward the barrel). The ramrod stays in nicely without the spring but I put the spring in in hope of weakening it. I should just rebind it and temper it afterward and that would also take care of the problem.
Old March 15, 2014, 02:32 PM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
You are correct and I can tell you by the description of the problem and fix, it is not a TC model. There are a number of ways that manufacturers use to retain a wooden RamRod. Some better than others .....
I don't think my Investarms Hawken was like that either. It seems like I had to pull the ramrod to remove the barrel. Its funny but I had that rifle for over 30 years. I sold it about five years ago but you'd think I'd still clearly remember something like that.
Old March 15, 2014, 03:19 PM   #18
Pahoo

Just part of program !!!

Quote:
I don't think my Investarms Hawken was like that either.
Both of my Big- [I]'s are not that way and I do recall a CVA, that was. ....
Then you have locks that you can't pull till you remove the tang .. Crazy !!
Quote:
My Trapper pistol is like that. The ramrod won't come out of the channel and I have to pull the barrel to allow it to be pulled free.
Now that is even crazier. Don't own one but will have to check this out !!

Be Safe !!!
Old March 15, 2014, 04:27 PM   #19
wogpotter

Mine is a CVA, that probably explains it.

Old March 15, 2014, 05:30 PM   #20
Captchee

With the CVA rifle , the RR pipes are screwed to an under rib , that’s screwed to the barrel . Once the RR is the stock it the barrel should not come completely off with the rod in place . . There are however exceptions to that . IE where the complete RR channel has been routed and thus is not surrounded by wood or a nose cap which has a hole . In which case the rod has to flex enough so that the breech will unhook and allow the barrel to slide forward ..
I have actually had cases on Traditions and rifles where the rod had to be cut off so as to remove the barrel and reverse the spring . But in most cases one can eather flex the rod just enough OR remove the front lock bolt so as to let the spring fall and reduce friction on the rod .

Concerning locks that wont come out without the barrel being removed . a lot of times that do to the bolster applying down pressure to the lock once the barrel is in place . While the lock needs to suport the drum type bolsters , the bolster should not wedge the lock in . if does then the saddle needs cleaned up little so as to allow the lock to slide out . But in doing so one needs to keep in mind that the lock should slide strait out .

With custom guns , for the most part the RR hole is drilled not fully routed . There for the RR will need to be removed “excluding full stocks “ so that the barrel can be lifted out .
Very few originals have any type of retaining spring . The rod is held in place by either a muzzle tab, canting of the RR channel or by making a slight bend in the RR which acts to hold the rr in the stock and not allow it to slip
Old March 16, 2014, 12:09 PM   #21
shortwave

Quote:
Got it out... Yep, there was a s bent clip at the base of the channel.
Got the barrel loosened up enough to get the catch to let go. Thanks guys!
Sooo...did you determine what caused it to be stuck?

IE. RR retainer in upside down, retainer spring with too much of a curve, burred up RR end etc.

Naturally, you should not have to go through that every time you remove the rod.
Old March 16, 2014, 05:34 PM   #22
sully2311

The clip was bent a little too high... With the barrel in place, caused to much pressure on the rr to to pulled out
Old March 16, 2014, 07:07 PM   #23
shortwave

Gotcha!

Glad you got it squared away.
Old March 16, 2014, 09:36 PM   #24
sully2311

Btw.... It shoots so nice!! Near bullseye at 50 yards consistently!
Old March 17, 2014, 10:12 PM   #25
shortwave

That's great.

Sounds like you need to stretch it out to 100yds.