The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 5, 2014, 02:55 AM   #1
bamaranger

lost a rifle....got it back

Yes I did. Put it on the roof of my truck, got distracted...and then drove off.

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth.....and a trip to the SO, ....and walking my route about a total of 6 miles....and half a dozen signs up at local corner stores....guy surfaces 4 days later and returns it.

Whew.....my beloved Mini-Mauser with a 6x Leu on it.
Old March 5, 2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

"I'll take luck over skill, any day."
Old March 5, 2014, 10:36 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

1st off... that is great...

... hope you gave him a reward for his honesty... not a lot of people would do that... "finders keepers"
Old March 5, 2014, 12:38 PM   #4
bamaranger

reward

Tried too. And had advertised same. Guy would not take it, no way.

Yeah, lucky.

And there are still a FEW good people out there. But I had given up hope.
Old March 5, 2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Slopemeno

Nice to hear that he was honest.
Old March 5, 2014, 04:50 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

I'll congratulate you when you say you sighted it in and it still shoots well. About 6 feet off most truck roofs and I'm guessing it hit tarmac. Best of luck.
Old March 5, 2014, 05:23 PM   #7
SHE3PDOG

That's a great but of luck.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old March 6, 2014, 08:53 AM   #8
Panfisher

He finds a mini mauser with leupold scope and returns it to you, refuses a reward. Heck sounds like he could make a good hunting buddy if ya need one. Hope the rifle and scope are all OK.
Old March 6, 2014, 09:01 AM   #9
cw308

That's Great, There are good people in this world.
Old March 6, 2014, 10:30 AM   #10
HawkeyeNRAlifer

Thanks for sharing that incident with us. Too many stories of negative behavior out there, it's nice to see the other side of the coin.
Old March 6, 2014, 12:59 PM   #11
bamaranger

update

The Mini-Mauser was in a padded gun sleeve. Cosmetically, no change. Inspection yielded that the Leupold, was off set to the right of the bore. Though I feared the tube may have been bent, closer investigation showed that the forward aluminum base was "tweaked". Replaced the bases with a one piece number that I had on hand.

Four shots gave a 25 yd zero, 100 yd zero coming when I find the time.
Have every reason to believe the rifle is OK.
Old March 7, 2014, 09:55 AM   #12
Dirty_Harry

Good to know there are still honest people out there. Thanks for sharing.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old March 7, 2014, 04:48 PM   #13
2damnold4this

Quote:
He finds a mini mauser with leupold scope and returns it to you, refuses a reward. Heck sounds like he could make a good hunting buddy if ya need one.
+1 If he won't take a reward, maybe he will accept an invitation to hunt.
Old March 8, 2014, 10:12 AM   #14
Unlicensed Dremel

That is awesome. I thought SO means "significant other"... ?
Old March 9, 2014, 04:53 PM   #15
johnwilliamson062

Great to hear that.
If it box tests at 25 I'd think you are fine.
Old March 9, 2014, 10:34 PM   #16
Deja vu

hed be a good guy to take hunting or to just sit and watch a game with.

all 25 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple
Old March 20, 2014, 11:22 PM   #17
Ron T. B.

Left my shotgun on top of the truck

This past duck season, I was loading up my truck after hunting, and got out of my usual routine. I laid my shotgun on the roof rack of my truck ( Nissan Frontier). I drove to the check out station and when I got back in my truck I did not notice my shotgun on the roof. I drove about five miles at 60 mph on a two lane rd. For some reason I thought about my gun and couldn't remember casing it. I pulled off the road so I could check the case which was on the back seat. No shotgun! My first instinct was to set the land speed record back to the refuge, but I got out and looked on the roof rack. There was my shotgun. I think it didn't blow off because the Nissan roof rack has an air deflector on the front and it must have deflected the air up and over my gun. I'm starting two worry about my, can't remember what now. Anyway this incident ended well.
Old March 27, 2014, 05:49 AM   #18
PHEASANTPETE

There are still good honest people out there.

Did the same with a $200 bass combo and got it back with some of the trigger grinded off. Other wise fine it landed perfectly as it could. I am also starting to experience some timers. Some times I remember, some times I don't. It is related to Can't remember chit.
Old March 27, 2014, 09:12 AM   #19
hdbiker

lost bow

My best friend did that with his bow. After a hunt in the dark we were packing up to go home. He layed his bow on the roof of the pickup topper and we drove off. He never missed it until the next day. We were parked in the same spot and about 100 yards up the road we found it, a little dirty but ok,the hunt was on !!!! hdbiker
Old March 27, 2014, 05:20 PM   #20
kraigwy

I didn't read it in the post, but I hope you notified the SO it was recovered.

I got bit in the butt one time because a lost rifle was entered into NCIS but wasn't cleared when it was found.

I was running the AK NG Marksmanship Unit, and in route to the Wilson Matches in Little Rock (NG Championships) one of our M-14s were stolen. I Notified my boss in Alaska and the FBI & Local PD. We had a spare but that wasn't a problem.

The problem occurred after I got home. Good news, the rifle was recovered, some Air Port baggage handler was caught drunk waiving it around down town Little Rock.

Bad new; The same rifle was listed as stolen/lost in 1978 in Nome AK. Though I had an alibi, (I was in SE Asia at the time), it still didn't do me any good, I'm the OIC of the MKS Unit, its a Marksmanship Gun, so its my fault.

You would not believe the paper work in finding a lost rifle that had already been lost and not recovered.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 28, 2014, 03:43 AM   #21
bamaranger

yup

Yeah, I called the SO....but thanks for the check.
Old April 5, 2014, 11:13 PM   #22
got ammo?

Bamaranger, I want to knock ya, but I can't blame ya. A few years back, I was hunting a dense, wooded swamp WMA not too far from my home. ( didn't have to drive there, just walk out into my backyard far enough) . I found a good spot near a deer run and was hanging there, when the questionably cooked BBQ chicken and the PBR's I consumed the night before caught up with me. I needed to drop a deuce, bad. I left my Knight LRH stainless steel 50 cal, with Nikon Prostaff scope, leaning against a tree. When I finished my business, I returned, but could not find my gun! I did find it against a tree a few minutes later. that swamp is so dense you can get lost just by stepping off the path! So I know the feeling of terror that hits you when you misplace a gun.