The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 25, 2014, 10:12 PM   #1
MEATSAW

Canik55 Stingray-c question

Does this pistol have a decocker? If not how do you safely bring it into DA mode?
Old February 25, 2014, 11:56 PM   #2
skizzums

no, i own one, alot if the descriptions say de-cocker, but it does not have one

i guess the safest way would be to empty the chamber and bring the hammer down, i just hold the hammer and pull the trigger and slowly bring the hammer down

you run the risk of it slipping if your gun is loaded, which i have done with a revolver before, so if your new to it, just remove the mag and unload the chamber first

ps, if your considering buying one, i highly recommend one, you wont find a better shooter for the price
Old February 26, 2014, 09:22 AM   #3
MEATSAW

Yea I have yet to hear a negative review of them and they look great. I just find it curious how you can make a DA/SA gun but provide no de-cocker. Strange. Perhaps it is meant to be carried cocked and locked?
Old February 26, 2014, 12:32 PM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEATSAW
I just find it curious how you can make a DA/SA gun but provide no de-cocker. Strange.
Most CZ 75 variants, CZ 75 pattern Tanfoglios (TZ75 / T(A)95 / Force / EAA Witness), Turkish copies of the above, and numerous older Berettas are like this. It's just how they roll.

In addition, some other DA/SA pistols have a non-decocking safety, but will drop the hammer if the trigger is pulled with the safety lever in the SAFE position; however, they're really a different topic.
Quote:
Perhaps it is meant to be carried cocked and locked?
Yes.
Old February 26, 2014, 06:35 PM   #5
MEATSAW

Very interesting. And I like interesting.

Now I get to decide between the TP-9 and the Stingray. Might end up with both but have to choose one to start.
Old February 26, 2014, 07:11 PM   #6
power5

TP9 is not a CZ clone and not as nice looking to me. I think its a walther clone. I am picking up my stingray in desert tan tomorrow.

skizzums, can you "decock" it by pulling the trigger with safety on?
Old February 26, 2014, 10:19 PM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by power5
TP9 is not a CZ clone and not as nice looking to me. I think its a walther clone.
The TP-9 is a Walther P99 lookalike, NOT a clone. Although it functions largely the same way, there are numerous design differences, and perhaps most significantly, the Canik55 reportedly does NOT accept Walther P99 (or S&W SW99, or Magnum Research MR Eagle) mags. The base plate shape is totally wrong. This is apparent if you look closely at photos of both.

The Stingrays will reportedly take certain CZ and Tanfo mags, but there are minor dimensional differences that may prevent them from working in some Canik55 pistols; however, factory Canik55 mags are supposedly made my Mec-Gar, and only cost ~$30.
Quote:
...can you "decock" it by pulling the trigger with safety on?
None of the Canik55's I've handled would decock this way. This is arguably a Good Thing, because that mode of operation is IMHO totally inappropriate in a defensive pistol.

Last edited by carguychris; February 26, 2014 at 10:22 PM. Reason: minor reword...
Old February 26, 2014, 10:56 PM   #8
power5

I dont see the problem in a defensive pistol. if it did drop the hammer and you did need to flip the safety back off you could just fire da again for the first round. not like it would become a sa 1911 in that instance.
Old February 27, 2014, 04:47 AM   #9
Pilot

Why would you need the added complexity of a decocker on a DA/SA gun? You already have a decocker, it is called your thumb. If you can't safely decock a pistol you shouldn't have a pistol.
Old February 27, 2014, 08:08 AM   #10
TBT

Quote:
If you can't safely decock a pistol you shouldn't have a pistol.
Eh. Safety features are offered for a reason. A decocker is a better way to drop the hammer, period. If someone prefers to use a safer way I don't think it should disqualify them from owning a firearm.
Old February 27, 2014, 09:27 AM   #11
MEATSAW

I dont like pulling the trigger on a loaded gun (unless Im shooting)...using a decocker that will not fire the weapon is far less worrisome.

Its not that I can't do it, it just gives Mr. Murphy one more way to work his magic.
Old February 27, 2014, 09:57 AM   #12
carguychris

Quote:
I dont see the problem in a defensive pistol. if it did drop the hammer and you did need to flip the safety back off you could just fire da again for the first round.
What happens when you're in a HD or SD situation with your life potentially on the line, and you pull the trigger, the hammer drops, but you get the dreaded "click" rather than a BANG?

With a conventional DA/SA autoloader (including a CZ, Tanfo, or Canik55), most DAO autoloaders, a SAO pistol like a M1911, or a typical striker-fired tactical plastic pistol, there's ONLY ONE likely cause- a dud round- and ONLY ONE appropriate course of action- clear the pistol.*

With a DA/SA pistol that will drop the hammer against the engaged safety, there are TWO things that could be wrong- the round could be a dud OR the safety could be engaged. This potentially requires a multiple-step troubleshooting process while the BG is still coming at you!

I prefer a typical safety mechanism that either locks the trigger up solid or causes it to flop around uselessly when the safety is engaged. This provides instantaneous tactile feedback ("YO, SAFETY IS ON!") without requiring the shooter to check the position of the lever (or button) before taking action.

*FOOTNOTE: With most DAO or DA/SA autoloaders, the shooter can attempt to squeeze the trigger again in hopes that the second strike will fire the round, but this is a crapshoot, and most reputable trainers advise against trying it.
Quote:
I dont like pulling the trigger on a loaded gun (unless Im shooting)...using a decocker that will not fire the weapon is far less worrisome... Its not that I can't do it, it just gives Mr. Murphy one more way to work his magic.
FWIW although I sometimes carry a DA/SA pistol with a non-decocking safety- a Beretta 84BB- I'm generally with Meatsaw on this. I've found that I prefer DA/safety-off carry to cocked-and-locked carry, and I'm contemplating replacing the pistol with a decocker-equipped 84F or 84FS in my carry rotation.

Last edited by carguychris; February 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: minor reword...
Old February 27, 2014, 02:29 PM   #13
skizzums

i dont have experience with the others meatsaw, but i have the tristar t-100(same as shark-c), its light and feels great in your hand, you will love shooting it, but the finish isnt great, it looks good but the black scratches easily

i have around 1k rounds throgh mine and have not had a single jam or FTF, this is the first semi-auto pistol i have had that kind of reliablity with, and it only cost 350$ at academy sports
Old February 27, 2014, 03:59 PM   #14
Arrrmaty

That Tristar T100 looks awesome! A few months ago I was deciding between a Sig Sauer P250 and either a Tristar C100 or T100. I ended up getting the P250, which is great, but ever since handling the T100 I've been wanting to somehow justify going back and buying one.

Like skizzums said, it's only 350 at Academy, and like MEATSAW, I haven't heard a bad review of any of the CZ75 style clones- Tristar C100 or T100, Canik55 Shark c or C100. I would buy any of them, but Tristars are probably the most accessible being at Academy.

I think it would be sweet to buy the Tristar T-100 and get an extra "0" stamped on it, then it would be the T-1000

And to comment on some of the other talk- I think I would also prefer to carry a DA/SA in DA/safety off rather than cocked and locked. I think the longer trigger pull first shot would help to reduce the risk of firing before ready in a tense situation, yet not have to worry about whether I remembered to turn the safety off or not. But too each their own
Old February 27, 2014, 11:41 PM   #15
skizzums

another cool thing about the canik/tristar, the grips are interchangeable with cz and cajun gun works sells all the trigger and spring kits if you feel it needs upgrading, i dont personally feel it needs anything, but it depends if you plan to co mpete with it

i like the gun so much, i will probably send it in for re-finishing after mine gets further wear, i cant say anything for the CS either, since i have yet to hear a story where it was needed

if you only plan to use this gun for HD and range purposes an dont care about the size, look into the shark-FC http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+PORTED+15%2B1

it big, has a rail and has large ported barrel, that will probably be my next pistol purchase

if you plan to carry the gun, i feel that even the t-100/shark-c are a little to bulky to be EDC, but thats just me, i know alot of people that carry bigger, i recommend going to academy so you can actually get your hands on both

also note that you can get a real full-size cz for only 200 or so more and will have a nice lifetime finish, but believe me or not, the trigger is actually slightly better on the t-100 than the cz compact imo
Old February 28, 2014, 06:16 PM   #16
power5

A dud is a dud no matter how you put the hammer down on a live round. You are saying somehow that dro9pping the hammer to put the gun bsck in ds mode chsmges what happens with a dud and it does not. Flicking the safety to on will not change what happens if the round in the chamber is a dud and I try to fire from DA or SA. Clear the gun and fire as you need to.no extra steps in either situation.

Old February 28, 2014, 09:33 PM   #17
MEATSAW

You comparing the stingray to an M9?
Old March 1, 2014, 11:27 AM   #18
carguychris

At the risk of prolonging this thread hijack even further...
Quote:
You are saying somehow that dro9pping the hammer to put the gun bsck in ds mode chsmges what happens with a dud and it does not... Clear the gun and fire as you need to.no extra steps in either situation.
I'm not sure you're understanding me correctly, or if we're even talking about the same thing. Let me illustrate this in narrative form.

Let's say I have a Star 30M. This is a DA/SA pistol that will drop the hammer against the engaged safety. It has second-strike capability. There is a round in the chamber and a full magazine in the gun. The safety is in the SAFE position.

Pull the trigger in DA mode. Hammer drops. "click"

Cock the hammer, pull the trigger in SA mode. Hammer drops. "click"

Clear the pistol. Untouched live round falls to the ground. Hammer and trigger are in SA mode. Pull trigger. Hammer drops. "click".

Clear pistol again. Second untouched round falls to the ground. Pull trigger again. Hammer drops. "click"

Unless I disengage the safety, I can repeat this procedure until all 16 rounds are on the ground, and the pistol will NOT fire.

OK, let's switch scenarios. A BG is coming at you with a knife. You have a Canik55, you pull the trigger, hammer drops, "click". What do you do first?

Now let's say you have a Star 30M, same thing happens. What do you do first?
Old March 1, 2014, 01:41 PM   #19
power5

I have a 92 f's but yes that is a canik 55 stingray compared to 92fs.
Old March 1, 2014, 10:31 PM   #20
skizzums

i am sorry if i am misunderstanding your post carguy chris, are you saying the canik55 has a tendency of light strikes? this is the first i have heard of that issue if so
Old March 1, 2014, 11:01 PM   #21
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzums
i am sorry if i am misunderstanding your post carguy chris, are you saying the canik55 has a tendency of light strikes
NO.

ANY pistol can suffer a failure to fire if the round is a dud. The Canik55 is no more and no less susceptible than any other pistol. This is an ammunition problem, NOT a gun problem.

Things seem to have become confusing when I discussed pistols that can be decocked from SA to DA by pulling the trigger with the safety on. I was originally trying to point out that the Canik55 does NOT operate this way, which IMHO is A GOOD THING. However, the thread seems to have veered off the rails when I tried to explain my reasoning.
Old March 1, 2014, 11:20 PM   #22
skizzums

okay, al good, but yes, it seemed to veer; likely because of my n ability to understand
Old March 1, 2014, 11:45 PM   #23
MEATSAW

Veering is good when we can learn from the discussion, and since we are still discussing canik55 pistols I'd say we are still on topic!
Old March 5, 2014, 08:23 PM   #24
power5

Took my new canik stingray to the range and was very very impressed. I only had a few different types of ammo available though. Couple 115 fmj and a couple 115 HP. All brass, and zero malfunctions. Only had time to put about 100 rounds through it. I do not like the safety location very much. My beretta safety is out of my support thumbs area. The canik safety is right under my thumb or actually right next to my knuckle.So I could not really have my thumb along the frame. I had to keep it up.This is one reason I prefer the slide mounted safety of berettas. Groups were just as tight as my beretta at 10 yards and 7 yards. Actually I put my first round right in the center of the bullseye at 7 yards. The gun is beyond all expectations. recoil is soft just like my beretta. Followups were just as easy as well. My buddy was all over his bullseye with his iver johnson and his kimber. I gave him the canik for a mag and he tore the bullseye out. He then said he needs to get himself one. He has about 10 caniks invested in his 2 1911 and he shot my $350 gun much better. He was more impressed with it than I was. Anyone with any interest in a canik will definitely not be disappointed.
Old March 5, 2014, 09:53 PM   #25
DubC-Hicks

Carguychris is saying that if the hammer drops with the safety on, you could forget about the safety being on in the heat of the moment and think it is a dud. Causing you to clear the weapon for no reason.

Whereas if the hammer will not drop while the safety is on, nothing happens when you pull the trigger. And you would know that the safety is on, allowing you to just switch it off and fire.

Sorry if I worded it confusingly. But I think I'm right