The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 25, 2014, 05:45 PM   #1
rc1988

Just bought my first RUGER!

Hey all, I finally decided to purchase my very first ruger today. I have been in the market for a high-capacity 9mm. I own a few glocks and xd's, but never a ruger...After enough research i decided on the P-95, only to find out they have been discontinued...Luckily, i call my LGS and he has two left in stock. Sticker price was $389.

I just have a few questions for you folks. When the gun is cocked and the safey is off, i noticed that when i engage the saftey the whole slide moves forward slightly....Is that normal?

Secondly i field-stripped the weapon without a problem at all fallowing all of the directions... After cleaning and lubing everything up , i went to reassemble....I had a hard time getting the slide back on the frame, and than i noticed that the ejector that i had pushed down to field-strip came back up? Is it normal for it to come back up like that? Once i pushed it back down it went right back together....

I look forward to shooting her this weekend and I will let you guys know how it goes!- RC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruger.jpg (34.7 KB, 118 views)
Old February 25, 2014, 06:20 PM   #2
power5

standard capacity. enjoy it. I was looking at sr9c but like da/sa better.
Old February 25, 2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Colt46

Highly regarded guns

Another of Ruger's orphans that died out because they came out with something better(?).
I have the P-345 which I love.
Old February 27, 2014, 11:39 PM   #4
Chaseget

The P95 was my first handgun and one of a select few that I will never part with. It's big and a bit chunky but fits well in my hand. Also this gun will shoot absolutely anything you feed it and last forever. Perfect as a truck gun or home defense. I promise you will never regret your purchase. Enjoy and be safe.
Old February 27, 2014, 11:45 PM   #5
Chaseget

Also, the slide movement when you activate the safety is normal as far as my experience goes as is the ejector popping up when you remove the slide. Mine does that from time to time. I think it's just vibration from the slide moving forward or slight contact as it passes over on its way forward. Nothing to worry about though IMO.
Old February 28, 2014, 08:09 AM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
I had a hard time getting the slide back on the frame, and than i noticed that the ejector that i had pushed down to field-strip came back up?
Push it back down. Then you should be able to reassemble the gun.

(Had a bud come to me with a P89 he couldn't get back together. Yup, ejector up. Brain fart on his part too, as he'd had this since the mid-nineties.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 28, 2014, 09:41 PM   #7
Fishbed77

That looks like a standard capacity mag in that photo.
Old February 28, 2014, 10:47 PM   #8
Martowski

Congrats on the purchase. I've had a number of semis made by Sig, Beretta, CZ, Walther, etc., but had honestly never fired a Ruger centerfire until this past fall (a friend bought a P-95). I was pleasently suprised by it; it was a very nice shooting, accurate handgun with well regulated sights. So much so that I may pick one up if I see a good deal.
Old March 1, 2014, 01:54 AM   #9
Sight Unseen

I think Power5 was referring to how so called "high capacity" magazines are really just standard capacity if they are the stock magazine, no matter the capacity.
Old March 2, 2014, 05:55 PM   #10
dgludwig

Quote:
After cleaning and lubing everything up , i went to reassemble....I had a hard time getting the slide back on the frame, and than i noticed that the ejector that i had pushed down to field-strip came back up? Is it normal for it to come back up like that? Once i pushed it back down it went right back together....
I think it's normal. Though I don't have any experience with Ruger P95, I do know that when reassembling pistols like Smith Third Generation variants, you do need to keep the "levers" compressed level with the frame and out of the way of the returning slide.
Old March 2, 2014, 06:14 PM   #11
Dc777

It's probably ok. I have both a p89 and a p95. I recall the ejector doing the same thing on my p89 but it has only done it once.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old March 2, 2014, 06:27 PM   #12
neal bloom

Great gun. My first semi auto that I bought. Only thing I have noticed is a coworker limp wristed it and it jammed but after explaining what to do, she had no more problems. It is ugly but reliable. Yes, reassembly can be affected by the ejector.
It is my follow me around the house gun and sits next to me if I am in the office and at night is on the nightstand.
Sad to hear it is now discontinued. Might have to pick up another.