The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2014, 03:02 PM   #1
GregInAtl

Sig Custom Shop

I am thinking of sending my Sig 226 9mm to Sig Sauer to have some custom work done to it. I want to take some of the slack in the trigger pull. They offer a Action Enhancement Package and the Short Trigger Reset. Will either of these do what I want.

If anyone has had this done, I'd like your reviews. Is it worth the expense.
Old February 23, 2014, 03:06 PM   #2
Mastrogiacomo

I haven't had it done but I'm in the same boat. I have a Sig 228 that I wanted work done on, namely to reduce the 10 lb trigger pull. I originally thought of sending it to Sig but after checking out reviews from people, it didn't sound like the work made a noticeable difference. I've decided to go with Gray's Guns myself.

Laura
Old February 23, 2014, 03:09 PM   #3
Kevin_d77

I would be interested in how your 228 comes out too when you get it back. I love mine stock, bought it used so it was probably well worn in.
Old February 23, 2014, 03:10 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Grays Guns, TJ Custom Gunworks....

Before you send your pistol in, Id check out Bruce Gray's Gray Guns website. He's a top rated pistol-smith & instructor. He's very well known for SIG models & the HK pistols.
Another choice is TJ's custom gunworks in Culver City CA(LA area).
He's been in business for decades & does many custom/duty/exotic work on guns. SIG Sauers are one of his staples.
Note; I've heard & read in the past that he's not the easiest shop or person to deal with.
Keep that in mind before you spend any $$$ on custom SIG work.

Both of these SIG Sauer pistolsmiths might be delayed too due to the extreme demand(s) for the shop work.

Clyde
Old February 23, 2014, 03:15 PM   #5
Microgunner

I sent my P226 to SIG's custom shop for the E2 grip conversion and short reset trigger.
The work was done quickly and professionally.
The short reset trigger made a marked improvement. I wouldn't own a SIG without it now.
Old February 23, 2014, 03:17 PM   #6
GregInAtl

I've heard the same thing about the Sig custom shop not making that much difference
Old February 23, 2014, 05:41 PM   #7
sigarms228

Quote:
I've heard the same thing about the Sig custom shop not making that much difference

I have not sent any of mine to them but opinions vary on the results and probably depend on how good the trigger was on the pistol before sending it in.

Myself I would spend the extra money for Grayguns. They also do a lot more to the pistol than what SIG does as in a total action job rather than a trigger job. Also Bruce has stated that he does NOT clip springs like some have reported that SIG Custom Shop allegedly has.
Old February 23, 2014, 05:53 PM   #8
Uncle Malice

The SRT kit is $50 at TopGunSupply and is fairly easy to install. I don't see any reason to send the gun to Sig to get that done.

For what you're asking, i'd suggest a Wolff 19lb hammer spring(factory is 21lb) and the SRT kit. That's about $65-$70 after shipping. Worth every penny.
Old February 23, 2014, 06:01 PM   #9
Rinspeed

Quote:
Before you send your pistol in, Id check out Bruce Gray's Gray Guns website. He's a top rated pistol-smith & instructor. He's very well known for SIG models & the HK pistols.

Nothing against Bruce Gray but they charge a very good buck for their services, almost to the point where you have to ask ***.
Old February 23, 2014, 06:03 PM   #10
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Nothing against Bruce Gray but they charge a very good buck for their services, almost to the point where you have to ask ***.
Only if you never felt a Gray Guns worked pistol. No one does it like them. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it's worth the money if you care about the trigger that much. You won't get one better.... it's just whether you can justify the cost.
Old February 23, 2014, 06:22 PM   #11
Mastrogiacomo

With everything, you get what you pay for. I'd rather send it to the best to have it done right the first time....I can't afford second rate jobs on a first rate gun.
Old February 23, 2014, 07:02 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
The SRT kit is $50 at TopGunSupply and is fairly easy to install. I don't see any reason to send the gun to Sig to get that done.
A note of caution on this. They aren't 100% drop in kits. Sometimes they are, sometimes they need a little fitting.
Old February 23, 2014, 07:11 PM   #13
Uncle Malice

Quote:
A note of caution on this. They aren't 100% drop in kits. Sometimes they are, sometimes they need a little fitting.
Hrmph. Really? I've never seen that. I've done 5 of them myself and they all fell right in as normal. I don't really see any place that should need to be fitted. The SRT kit is only the sear and disconnector.

What did you have to fit?
Old February 23, 2014, 07:21 PM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
Hrmph. Really? I've never seen that. I've done 5 of them myself and they all fell right in as normal. I don't really see any place that should need to be fitted. The SRT kit is only the sear and disconnector.

What did you have to fit?
I had one for a P239. Trigger functioned but there was some hangup. I didn't do the fitting, my gunsmith did. It wasn't much. It's just a caution to the OP. YMMV.
Old February 23, 2014, 07:39 PM   #15
Uncle Malice

Good to know. I've never done one in a 239, only 229 and 226, although not sure if that would make a difference.
Old February 27, 2014, 11:44 PM   #16
GregInAtl

Quote:
I assume that wouldn't void the warranty would it?
Old February 28, 2014, 10:52 AM   #17
ClydeFrog

Gray Guns....

I'd ask Gray or his customer service staff directly.
Id think Gray or any reputable pistol-smith would offer a service guarantee or warranty.
I can't speak for him or any other shop. I can see their point(s) if they don't.
A gunsmith or after-market part vendor can't be expected to know how or what a customer is going to do with the firearm.
If a service plan or long term conditions are a issue for you, the regular SIG Sauer custom shop might be best.