The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 21, 2014, 11:21 AM   #1
madmo44mag

New 9mm what do ya think?

A couple of years ago I traded my S&W 9mm off for a 45acp which later got sold and yada, yada, yada.
Now I want another 9mm but this time I want a 1911 style full sized.
This is a range gun for plinking and fun so I don’t want to spend a ton of cash.
I’d like to stay under $500.00 for a new shooter or less than $375.00 for a used gun.
I have been looking at the Rock Island 9mm and have several friends that have owned them and with mixed opinions.
Another little pistol caught my eye and reviews have been fairly good and that is the Turkish 9mm Luger Canik 55 TP-9
General Specifications:
Manufactured in Turkey by Canik
4” Chrome-Lined Cold Forged Barrel
7.25" Overall Length
Weighs 1.65 lbs.
Black Polymer Frame
Decocking Lever
Interchangeable Backstraps
Ambidextrous Magazine Catch
Ambidextrous Top-slide-Mounted Decocker for Super-safe Carry
Loaded Status Indicator
Click Adjustable 3-Dot Sighting System
Picatinny Rail in Mil. Std.
Low Trigger Pull Weight
All Components are Chrome Plated
Long Service Life and Suitable for Combat Shooting
Other Features:
Double Action / Single Action Mechanism
Barrel Manufactured by MKEK using Cold Forging Technology
Mec-Gar (Italian) Branded Magazine with High Capacity and Two Columns

So what are the valued opinions of my friends here on TFL?
Old February 21, 2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Garycw

Buy it would be my advice. Sounds like you've already talked yourself into it by everything you've listed. If you like a gun & a good price buy it when you have the chance or regret it later. You can always sell it later if you change your mind.
Old February 21, 2014, 12:14 PM   #3
madmo44mag

My mind is no where near made up.
Just looking for opinions.
I posted the spec's on the Turk pistol for folks to see that have never seen or heard of them.
Old February 21, 2014, 02:42 PM   #4
gyvel

Having had my own fiascos with three Turkish made guns, I would think long and hard about that gun.

You probably would be better off looking around for a used CZ 75 or a used EAA Witness 9mm, both of which would be under your $500.00 limit and worth it, even in used condition.
Old February 21, 2014, 03:22 PM   #5
madmo44mag

Thanks gyvel.

I was looking for input on the Turk guns.
Old February 21, 2014, 04:01 PM   #6
Kevin_d77

I have a Canik/Tristar C 100 and it has been a really nice gun. Aluminum frame, CZ compact clone. I have been totally happy with mine. For $360 shipped, they're hard to beat.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...mer_grips_blue
Old February 21, 2014, 04:18 PM   #7
Polglock

The one most important thing I've learned about buying guns is, when you purchase a gun solely on low budget your not happy in the long run or as soon as the buying high wears off. I'm not wealthy by any means but I like nice things and I save up and make sure I'm happy with a quality purchase. Please don't take any of this the wrong way. I've bought and sold so many guns because I wasn't happy with them. And these were guns that I tried to convince myself were nice. But deep down I knew they were not nice. They were cheap $. If I had just saved a little more and went with quality that I knew I wanted I would still have them. Now I buy guns that I want because they are nice not because they are cheap in price. Don't settle. Just my own personal take on things from experience
Old February 21, 2014, 05:49 PM   #8
Fishbed77

If you like the Canik 55 TP-9, you'll LOVE the Walther P99AS (that the TP-9 is a half-hearted unlicensed clone of).
Old February 21, 2014, 06:15 PM   #9
skizzums

i got the tristar t100 compact, dude, this is the greatest budget pistol ever except the finish suuuucccckkkks, but runs like a champ, i think the trigger is better than the cz, the weight is perfect and every single part is metal or metal alloy, i am really happy with it, its the same gun as the canik shark-c, but its not very compact, i dont like to carry it, 350 out the door at academy

only complaint other than the spray on blue finish, is that the top of the slide only has a small serrerated area and it can be hard to grip to rack the slide
Old February 21, 2014, 06:18 PM   #10
skizzums

go on the cz board and you will hear nothing but good things about the caniks/tristars, theres a guy doing round counts on several of them and has the c100 up to 7k rounds w/o malfunction, i have bought alot of CHEAP guns in the last few years, and they were mostly crap, these are not
Old February 21, 2014, 09:24 PM   #11
DannyB1954

Canik gets good reviews from people on youtube. The largest complaint I seen was the finish.
Old February 22, 2014, 08:40 AM   #12
WaltherRuger

I have the P99 AS and am very happy with it. I carry it and shoot about 6,000 rounds a year through it. If you're patient, you can get them for less than $550, prior to transfer fee or tax.

I realize you can get the Canik for a little more than $300, but I would really rather see you save a little more for the Walther.......or get a M&P9.

For that matter, I think you would be completely happy with a Ruger SR9 or SR9c. They can be found for $400. And if you have any problems with it, Ruger will fix it and pay shipping both ways, at least in the first year. After a year, you may have to pay shipping there, but they will pay to ship it back and usually not charge for the repairs.
Old February 22, 2014, 10:42 AM   #13
madmo44mag

Thanks for all the input.
I really want a 1911 style pistol but for under 350.00 new the Canik did peak my interest.
Old February 22, 2014, 07:37 PM   #14
Marty8613

Local

Have you been to that little hidden store off Beltline in Carrolton? They have used, and some nice prices. I'm looking at the nickel CZ75b they have, also Gun Pros in NRH has awesome prices.
Old February 22, 2014, 11:38 PM   #15
Fishbed77

Quote:
Thanks for all the input.
I really want a 1911 style pistol but for under 350.00 new the Canik did peak my interest.
Why not take a look at the Rock Island Armory 1911s? I see them on sale often for around $430, and by all reports, they are very good pistols from a company with excellent custom service?
Old February 24, 2014, 03:47 PM   #16
pilpens

Even if you bought the Canik 55 TP9, you most likely will keep wanting a 1911 until you get one.

The cheapest 1911 9mm I know of is the RIA GI but the sights are not very nice for range. I think the RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm is a better starting point than the GI model.
Checkout the Tactical II models, too. It is their newer version.
===========
I have a Walther P99 which looks very close to the Canik 55 TP9. I still shoot it once in a while. The P99 is a nice pistol but the my 1911 in 9mm is more fun.
Old February 24, 2014, 04:17 PM   #17
madmo44mag

As I stated originally the RIA was at the top of the list.
I love 1911 style pistols as most people do so I guess if I don't owe any taxes this year I'll buy the RIA.
Old February 24, 2014, 10:07 PM   #18
power5

Ordered a canik stingray desert tan. Can't wait to pick it up this week. Stingray is a p01 clone. Love the look. Brother has the Jericho 941/ baby eagle which is the canik shark. Shoots amazing but was 600. My canik will be 350 otd. I have not read a bad review of a canik yet. I have friends with 1500 kimbers with malfunctions. It's not always about price.
Old February 24, 2014, 10:18 PM   #19
Kevin_d77

C100 review

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...t=tristar+c100