The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 20, 2014, 09:45 PM   #1
totalloser

LC380 convert to 9mm?

So there's a lc380 sitting in the case at my local gun shop and after doing some reading, it sounds like Ruger changed the barrel and recoil spring on the LC9 to chamber it for .380- so can the two be converted back and forth?

Kinda itching to get it because I have a sizable amount of .380 brass from a bulk purchase, but am baulking at having something with so little oomph. It will probably wind up being my wife's tote about pistol but she has NO problem with recoil and would rather have the optional punch of 9mm.
Old February 21, 2014, 12:33 AM   #2
Cheapshooter

Most likely yes, but at what cost. Probably in excess of what your 380 brass is worth.
Or you could buy it, watch the "380 Sucks" youtube videos, and be happy with it as designed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhfKSXWLNxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79CodjHFwVI
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 21, 2014, 01:37 AM   #3
weblance

Since the frames appear to be identical, I see no reason why they wouldnt interchange. I have the LC380, and 2 LC9s. One of the LC9 frames has a Twisted Industries 22 conversion on it, and all the 9mm parts are just sitting in my shop. I have wondered if they would fit, and convert the LC380 to an LC9. I bet its simply a swap of barrel, magazine and slide.
Old February 21, 2014, 08:19 AM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
I bet its simply a swap of barrel, magazine and slide.
and possibly recoil spring
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 21, 2014, 10:31 AM   #5
carguychris

Have you called Ruger's parts department? That's where I would start.
Old February 21, 2014, 10:42 AM   #6
seeker_two

Do the 9mm & .380ACP mags interchange? It would make it easier if you can use LC9 mags in the LC380...esp. if you can't find LC380 mags.
Old February 21, 2014, 11:51 AM   #7
weblance

The LC380 magazine has a spacer welded in, to place the 380 round close to the front edge of the magazine. The 9mm mag will fit, and lock into the LC380 frame, but I wouldnt load 380 ammo into it, and try it.
Old February 24, 2014, 11:42 PM   #8
totalloser

Hm. I was thinking (wishfully) that this might be something like going .40 to .357sig in Glocks. Sounds like the mags definitely do not interchange, but mags aren't particularly expensive.

So at best it'd be mags, barrel and recoil spring, and most likely this would require some research and pioneering. Dang.

I watched the videos, and was pretty surprised. I would have guessed that even larger calibers would deflect poi more through glass. We occasionally have bear problems though. Not to say 9mm is *remotely* adequate for that, but given a choice between the two...

Thanks for the input and thoughtfulness
Old February 26, 2014, 12:03 AM   #9
skizzums

why would you probably have to change the slide? as far as i know they are the same diameter bullet

just curious
Old February 26, 2014, 12:04 AM   #10
skizzums

okay, after thinking about, since the bullet is longer, the 9 brass wouldnt fit through the ejection port
Old February 26, 2014, 01:13 AM   #11
Axelwik

If you haven't bought it yet, why not simply get the 9mm version? It would probably be cheaper than the price of that brass.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:19 AM   #12
KyJim

Resell the brass and buy the 9mm. You'll come out cheaper than re-engineering the gun I'd wager.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old February 26, 2014, 09:00 PM   #13
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzums View Post
okay, after thinking about, since the bullet is longer, the 9 brass wouldnt fit through the ejection port
From a manufacturing standpoint, it wouldn't make sense to make the .380ACP port smaller than the original 9mm port....cheaper just to make one slide configuration & make the caliber difference in the barrel & spring only.
Old February 27, 2014, 10:49 AM   #14
weblance

I may have mis-spoke. I would think the slide would be the same, except the model designation. You probably COULD just get away with magazine, barrel, and recoil spring.
Old March 1, 2014, 04:08 PM   #15
totalloser

May be a moot point. Went in and looked at it and it definitely won't be a choice for me. My fingers are too long so my trigger finger hits my thumb. But my wife is seriously considering it as a *reliable* replacement for her Kahr PM9. And I should have asked- they had a LC9 on order and it just showed, so we would probably just get that.

I was not enthusiastic about the lack of function without a mag, but that can be fixed. She is concerned about it's accuracy (which I highly doubt can compare with the Kahr- for it's weaknesses, it is a tack driver) but I am "arguing" that accuracy is useless without reliability. Accuracy may be #1 with a target gun, but for SD, reliability is KING. Ability to chamber a SD cartridge is a big plus the way I look at it too. For her USP I am loading 124 rem jhp's and for bear defense, warm 115 hardballs.