The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2014, 09:16 AM   #1
southjk

LCP in pocket with or without a holster

I picked up an LCP with the stainless slide this weekend and am surprisingly very pleased with it. I didn't really realize how small it actually was until I held it in my hand at the LGS. I went to decide between the Bodyguard and the LCP and I kinda liked the BG better as far as the slide lock on last shot, sights and the fact that I have 5 other Smith's but the LCP won. Firstly because they didn't have the BG without the laser and I just didn't want something on there I wasn't going to use. Secondly, the sights were better on the BG but if this gun ever comes into play I doubt that I'll be using the sights. So I can forgive the slide not locking open on the last shot since this is smaller and better looking and I actually enjoyed shooting it. I put 50 rounds through it at 5 and 7 yards and didn't do too much worse than my Shield.

Now my question, I've seen a number of threads and comments where people mention that it's a great gun to just throw it in their pockets. Are they doing this without a holster? Is the LCP safe to just throw in a pocket (with nothing else in there) without worry or should you always use a pocket holster? If no holster, is it safe with one in the chamber?
Old February 19, 2014, 09:26 AM   #2
pilpens

I do not recommend carrying without a holster especially with one in the chamber.
The holster not only protects the trigger but also protects the pistol from lint, etc and it keeps the pistol in place (properly oriented in the pocket).
It may also reduced snagging.
Old February 19, 2014, 09:29 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Concur with pilpens. I never carry anything without a holster. I never, ever, ever, put anything in the pocket with my pocket gun, but the holster protects the trigger in case I screw up on that. Also, and as noted, it keeps the gun properly oriented.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old February 19, 2014, 09:41 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

I carry my LCP in my hip pocket most of the time. Other pockets as occasion calls for. I only recently tried a belt holster and liked it. Won't do in warm weather as I am not going to wear extra clothing just to hide the gun.
BTW, the LCP has a heavy DA trigger pull. An accidential pull and discharge is near impossible IMHO. I would say impossible but, with guns, I never say never.
By my standards and requirements, the LCP is the perfect concealed carry pistol. If we had open carry in Arkansas (some say we do but it is an unsettled legal issue, won't go there) I would consider something larger framed.
Old February 19, 2014, 09:41 AM   #5
Constantine

Not gonna lie, I'm a huge proponent of always in a holster and on your person. Only time off your person being in the shower or asleep.

However, I'm guilty of sticking one of my full sized handguns in my PJ shorts back pocket when taking the dogs out to do their thing before bed.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old February 19, 2014, 10:42 AM   #6
Cheapshooter

Always in a holster. My choice is the DeSantis Nemesis, or Superfly. They are made of a synthetic material that tends to "stick" to the lining of the pocket, but add very little weight to the entire package. They also disguise the outline of the firearm helping with complete concealability. The shape helps keep the pistol oriented properly in the pocket
Both the shape, and the friction of the material help to retain the holster in the pocket when the gun is drawn. By "just throw It in my pocket", I mean in the holster.
I have a DeSantis pocket holster not only for my Elsea Pea, but also a KAHR CM9, and Ruger LCR that are also carried at various times.
There are many other brands on the market. Synthetic fabric, soft leather, stiff leather, and even Kydex materials are available.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 19, 2014, 12:21 PM   #7
Sabre9mm

There are several wallet style holsters for the LCP that for the most part make it disappear in one's pocket, protect the trigger from accidents, actually make it more comfortable to carry, etc...

I personally would NEVER put one in my pocket otherwise, yes there are some that will/have/and never been hurt, and some that have regretted ever having done so as well

Now if pocket is not your thing, I have a tagua sport nylon universal style IWB, that My Lady's LCP fits in beautifully, save the pockets for keys and chapstick.

That way when you reach for you gun you get your gun, not reach for something else and get your gun... Likewise pockets tend to collect debris that could very easily affect the function of a smaller gun like that as well, something to consider.
Old February 19, 2014, 12:29 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Quote:
That way when you reach for you gun you get your gun, not reach for something else and get your gun.
That brings up a very important point. When carrying in a pocket, nothing other than the gun, in it's holster, should ever be carried in that pocket.
Old February 19, 2014, 01:01 PM   #9
PetahW

I transferred a blued Kel-Tec belt clip from a P-32 to my LCP, and carried the Ruger the same way I had carried the P-32 - inside the waistband of my pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn_FkzD93LQ

The gun(s) were completely hidden from casual view until drawn.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armsl..._auto__640.jpg

Last edited by Spats McGee; February 19, 2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old February 19, 2014, 01:30 PM   #10
eldermike

Pratice with my LCP has proven to me that racking it while pulling it adds very little time (if any) to drawing it from a pocket. With pratice and lots of it I made the decision to carry it in a pocket without one in the chamber. I carry in my left front pocket no holster. Once clear of the pocket I make a move down to rack the slide and then back up into position, it's very quick.

I am sure there are plenty of possible situations where this is a bad idea. I accept that, and on I go.
Old February 19, 2014, 02:43 PM   #11
David spargenator

Ya it's safe enough, your probably good.
Old February 19, 2014, 03:32 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

I pocket carry a P32 without a holster. Never anything else in the pocket. Gun stays properly oriented and is much less bulky. While nothing is impossible, it is extremely unlikely the gun could go off accidentally. I feel it's perfectly safe.
Old February 19, 2014, 04:17 PM   #13
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike
Pratice with my LCP has proven to me that racking it while pulling it adds very little time (if any) to drawing it from a pocket. With pratice and lots of it I made the decision to carry it in a pocket without one in the chamber. I carry in my left front pocket no holster. Once clear of the pocket I make a move down to rack the slide and then back up into position, it's very quick.

I am sure there are plenty of possible situations where this is a bad idea. I accept that, and on I go.
Have you thought about why it's a bad idea? It's not so much an issue of time, it's an issue of needing two hands free in order to defend yourself. Carrying a gun without a round in the chamber is a terrible idea because you can't draw and fire with one hand.

I'm constantly doing things that take up at least one hand: Opening a door, holding a shopping bag, walking my dog, driving, etc. And to legally use your gun in self-defense you have to be sure that you're actually being threatened. Well, sometimes by the time you realize you need to draw your gun, your attacker may be close enough that you need to fight him off with one arm while you draw with the other. Carrying without a round in the chamber makes it impossible to use your gun unless both hands are free and you don't need to fight someone off.
Old February 19, 2014, 04:38 PM   #14
Cauhauna

BG

I carry my bodyguard in a crossbreed Appendix holster. I carry around 2:00 to 3:00 (waist position). I literally cannot tell it's there, and it is much more secure and comfortable to me than pocket carry.

I only have 2 pockets on me in the front (I refuse to wear cargo shorts). One is for cell phone, the other for keys and anything else I'm carrying. no room for a gun in a pocket.

I'll snap some pics of my setup so you can see it. I love it.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:00 PM   #15
southjk

Thanks for all the replies. I've already ordered a Desantis holster that also comes with a removable clip for IWB so I'll try it both ways. I think the only time I might put it in my pocket without a holster would be for a very short period of time, maybe just to walk the dog or run in a store if I'm not already carrying IWB with my Shield. But I think my default will be with a holster whenever possible.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:13 PM   #16
colbad

I would never "just throw in the pocket" a FA w/o some type of holster. Even the cheapest of holsters with a closed bottom with keep crud out of barrel which could cause an obstruction or foul the slide. I understand the heavy trigger pull argument but just having something over the trigger gives an added safety factor and a bit of peace of mind. Also helps avoid any snag on the trigger when trying to pull it out or put it in pants pocket. That is my rule of thumb and have not shot any body parts of myself yet.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:15 PM   #17
Derbel McDillet

Quote:
When carrying in a pocket, nothing other than the gun, in it's holster, should ever be carried in that pocket.
BINGO!!

But there are times when I inadvertently put my car keys in the same pocket. Those are the times when I'm glad I use a pocket holster. I gingerly remove the keys and put them in another pocket.
Old February 19, 2014, 06:30 PM   #18
Sabre9mm

Quote:
When carrying in a pocket, nothing other than the gun, in it's holster, should ever be carried in that pocket.
I completely agree, and best practices lessen the chances of accidents, but they are accidents after all, and a pocket holster lessens that chance and printing too so win win.

I have been guilty of carrying in pocket as well, but always felt it was a dangerous and silly thing to do.
Old February 19, 2014, 10:21 PM   #19
Cheapshooter

Quote:
But there are times when I inadvertently put my car keys in the same pocket
It didn't take me long to automatically put everything else in my off side (left) pocket. Even on the rare occasion I don't have a firearm in my right pocket, I automatically put everything else in the left pocket.

As far as carrying with an empty chamber, It has been discussed in length. But my bottom line is an empty chamber is an empty gun. Especially in the case of the subject of this thread, the LCP. The very trigger pull, long, and somewhat stif, that is the complaint of many is the factor making loaded chamber carry very safe, and the best way to carry.
Old February 20, 2014, 12:42 AM   #20
.38Catt

What could possibly be gained by NOT using a holster?

Get a Nemesis holster. Not just for safety and keeping lint, etc off the gun, but it maintains the guns proper position in the pocket.

.38Catt
Old February 20, 2014, 12:51 AM   #21
Dragline45

I never use a pocket holster for my Bodyguard, excessive bulk when not needed. Unless there are pocket gremlins in my pants that are going to engage that 10lb trigger I am not worried about it.

Quote:
Less bulk, the simple reason I don't use one.
Old February 20, 2014, 12:52 AM   #22
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by .38Catt
That's a very good question. Even if you're not worried about safety, a pocket holster also keeps the gun oriented in one direction, it helps keep the gun from printing, and it lowers the amount of pocket lint that gets in the gun. I see a lot of good reasons to use a pocket holster and I can't think of a good reason not to.
Old February 20, 2014, 01:11 AM   #23
Cheapshooter

Keeping the gun oriented in the proper location is well worth what tiny bit more bulk there is to the holster. Not having a scale handy that will weigh that low, I tried to look up the weight of the DeSantis Nemesis. All I can find is a shipping weight of 0.8 ounce. The actual weight of the holster then is most likely 1/2 ounce or less. Plus as mentioned, the "bulk" of the holster breaks up it's profile making It dissapear in the pocket.
Old February 20, 2014, 01:17 AM   #24
Cirdan

I pocket carry with a cheap Uncle Mikes #3 pocket holster I got at WalMart. It protects the gun from lint and anything else in the pocket, and covers the trigger. The holster "sticks" to the cloth so the gun comes out clean.

It's also nice if I have to go into a gun-free building, I can slip it out and drop it in the center console of the truck without having to worry about it.

Between the holster covering the trigger, and the heavy double-action trigger, carrying with a round in the chamber shouldn't be a problem. "Racking" the slide is usually easy, but it's a cheap gun and it can be a pain sometimes.

Given the positive effects of the holster, and the cheap cost, why not?
Old February 20, 2014, 02:10 AM   #25
Dragline45

I have never had problems with my bodyguard printing when in the pocket, the only gun I ever stuck in a pocket that printed bad enough where it was obvious was my J frame, and even without a pocket holster I found it too big for pocket carry. As far as a pocket holster preventing it from moving around, the way most pockets are made the muzzle nestles right into the bottom of the pocket where it starts to narrow out and stays put.