The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2014, 12:32 AM   #1
IdahoG36

Traded off my Springfield XDs .45 today and scored!

In my last two range sessions with my XDs .45, I have started to notice more frequent FTRB issues going on, after more than 500 flawless rounds. I keep my guns extremely clean, they get cleaned after every shooting session, and I shoot the same ammo through it.

I finally decided that I just couldn't trust it 100% anymore, and after reading several posts from various gun forum members here having the same issue and Springfield saying that there was no problem, I figured that I would trade it in for something else rather than try and send it in.

I went over to my LGS that I do a lot of business with, and ended up trading it straight across for an excellent condition used Hk USP .45 Compact bi-tone. The Hk came with two 8 round mags, the box, and the manual, along with a couple of finger extension floor plates.

It is a variant 1, DA/SA with safety/decocker, and has a spurless hammer. I did find a close out on CDNN tonight, and got a factory Hk USP hammer with the rubberized spur for $9.99. They were $50-$60 everywhere else that had them in stock. I will be changing out the hammer once it arrives.

Overall, I love the way the USP Compact feels in my hand. It looks really good with the stainless slide as well. I need to get to the range soon and put some rounds through it.

Here is a pic-
Hk 45C, Hk VP9 9mm, Hk P30S 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm, Beretta 21A Bobcat, Ruger LCP .380, Ruger 22/45 LITE Cobalt, Spreewerke CYQ P38, Patriot Ordnance P415, Patriot Ordnance P308, Remington 870 Tactical Magpul, Swiss K31 7.5X55, BNZ 42 K98, Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary design contest rifle, Tikka T3 CTR
Old February 11, 2014, 10:05 AM   #2
s&w500

Very nice! Congrats
Old February 11, 2014, 10:13 AM   #3
TunnelRat

Wow, that was a pretty good deal.
Old February 11, 2014, 10:37 AM   #4
johnnydollar

I'd make that trade any day of the week and twice on Saturday. You did good!
Old February 11, 2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Doc Intrepid

Nice.

My XDs is due back from Springfield tomorrow.

We'll see how things go.

Other XDs owners either seem to love them or regret ever having anything to do with them. Not sure yet which camp I'll fall into.

I may be looking for a very similar trade in the future!
Old February 11, 2014, 11:07 AM   #6
Constantine

Oh man! Any time someone gets rid of an XD that's a score. You ALSO got an HK?! That's a quadruple score. Congrats!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old February 11, 2014, 02:59 PM   #7
SHE3PDOG

That's a pretty sweet deal. I'm so jealous, I'm waiting for my first HK to finally get here after a while of being on layaway, and everyone keeps posting pics of theirs. Seriously though, that's a sweet deal on an awesome gun.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 11, 2014, 03:07 PM   #8
Uncle Malice

AWWWWWWWWWW YESSSSSSSSSS!

Good one man. I'm jealous. I just ordered a new USP Compact 9mm this morning, but I want to get a Compact 45 soon as well. That stainless model would go great with my full size stainless!
Old February 11, 2014, 03:10 PM   #9
mesamay2003

Love it!! I have always wanted to pick one of those up!! I would have made that trade too...
Old February 14, 2014, 08:13 AM   #10
Don P

Nice deal. I'm curious as to, why not send the gun back to Springfield?
They would have picked up shipping both ways and fixed it for free. I have 2 XD's 1 in 9 and 1in 45 and the only issue was with the 9. Sent it back and they replaced the extractor and life is good.
Old February 14, 2014, 09:58 AM   #11
loose_holster_dan

Quite a deal.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 14, 2014, 12:48 PM   #12
kcub

Coincidently I also swapped my xds for an HK45c for reliability issues. No regrets whatsoever.
Old February 14, 2014, 12:56 PM   #13
LockedBreech

That USP is beautiful! It looks new.

Great deal, I'd make it 10 times out of 10. Not because the XDs is bad, but because that deal is great.
Beretta PX4; 92FS; 92S; 8040G | Rock Island GI 1911 | Sig Sauer SP2022; P6 | Colt Python 4"; 1968 Detective Special 2"| Smith & Wesson M642 No-Lock | Ruger LCP; 10/22 | Daniel Defense M4V1 | Remington 870 | Alpine M1 Carbine | Steyr M1895 |1943 Izhevsk Mosin M91/30
Old February 14, 2014, 02:47 PM   #14
Martowski

So you're saying you traded a gun that sells new for around $500 for a gun that sells new for around $900? I'd say you did VERY well here!

I'm surprised a shop would make that trade.
Old February 23, 2014, 10:35 PM   #15
Doc Intrepid

I thought that in the interest of any forum member reading this thread I'd report back on the range session(s) with my XDs .45 after receiving it back from Springfield Armory's recent safety recall.

When I fedexed the pistol to SA (last October) I attached a note to it indicating that the pistol was exhibiting failures to feed (2 types) and potentially failures to extract. I asked the tech to check the springs, the extractor, and otherwise see if he could replicate the failures and fix the cause.

After the pistol was returned two weeks ago I put 4 different types of ammunition through it (last weekend and this weekend,) and the *upgraded and readjusted* pistol continued to exhibit the same issues. It could be that my shooting style contributes to the issues - this is a lightweight poly frame, the entire pistol is light, and it seems to need an extremely rigid platform to facilitate the cycle of functioning. A used Sig Sauer P220 that was in my local gunshop was fired to compare and contrast, however, and my shooting style had no impact on the Sig - it functioned flawlessly shooting the same 4 types of ammunition and was much more comfortable to shoot. So I don't think it's something I'm doing that's causing the issues.

Needless to say, I traded the SA XDs and (4) magazines for the Sig P220, case, and (2) 8-round magazines, and I'm very satisfied with the trade. (It was not straight across, I had to come up with some ching, but it was a good deal.)

I won't go on record as saying the XDs is a POS, because it isn't, but (mine at least, NIB, both before and after being returned to SA for service and recall) is a firearm that requires very precise shooting techniques and it's still hit and miss as to whether its going to cycle or not. My XDs was simply not sufficiently reliable for CCW use. My experience with the XDs was extremely frustrating, and I'm really sorry that I went down that path. There are too many other high quality manufacturers out there for me to ever purchase another Springfield Armory product.

That said, the Sig P220 is a huge improvement although it is larger overall, but I'm more than willing to carry a larger but more reliable pistol.

To anyone considering buying a Springflield Armory XDs my advice is try it before you buy it. Borrow or rent one and fire 3 or 4 different types of ammunition through it first. Some folks swear by them, ...and it seems the rest swear AT them.

Caveat Emptor.

Last edited by Doc Intrepid; February 23, 2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old February 25, 2014, 01:18 PM   #16
dgludwig

Quote:
a firearm that requires very precise shooting techniques and it's still hit and miss as to whether its going to cycle or not. My XDs was simply not sufficiently reliable for CCW use.
Right you are. Any pistol that requires a "perfect" grip to function dependably or when the cycling reliability is "hit and miss" will never be one to count on for self-defense use. Sorry to hear about your trouble with the Springfield pistol (though I doubt that your bad experience is necessarily inherent to the design of the XD) but I can assure you that your SIG Model 220 will keep you grinning if it performs like mine does.
Old February 25, 2014, 01:47 PM   #17
LockedBreech

Good choice Doc. I can tolerate mostly reliable for range guns, but HD/SD duty requires flawless or near-flawless performance. I agree with your choice.

The 220 is highly proven. I think you'll be happy.
Beretta PX4; 92FS; 92S; 8040G | Rock Island GI 1911 | Sig Sauer SP2022; P6 | Colt Python 4"; 1968 Detective Special 2"| Smith & Wesson M642 No-Lock | Ruger LCP; 10/22 | Daniel Defense M4V1 | Remington 870 | Alpine M1 Carbine | Steyr M1895 |1943 Izhevsk Mosin M91/30
Old February 25, 2014, 03:50 PM   #18
Doc Intrepid

Heh, thanks guys!

The P220 and I are still in the "getting to know you" phase of our relationship, but I'm wearing it as we speak and am real pleased with the way it performs. :
Old March 10, 2014, 02:53 PM   #19
NotMeNotYou

"Score" yeah I think so...
Old March 10, 2014, 03:08 PM   #20
Mystro

That is a trade in a lifetime. I would have guessed you would have to add $350.00 on top of your trade. The XDS is a $300 at best trade in value. Who sells a USP in any condition or $300.00. ??
I own a USP Compact in 9 and 45. Great guns.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old March 10, 2014, 03:17 PM   #21
Mike_Fontenot

If I couldn't have a 1911, I'd probably go for a SAO Sig 220.
Old March 10, 2014, 04:55 PM   #22
SocialAnarchist

I went out and shot my returned from recall XDs today and it worked flawlessly. I used the 7 round magazine they sent along when it was returned and it worked flawlessly also.

I like this pistol so I will be keeping it. It is small and light and can ride on my hip all day almost unnoticed. But then again, I never had any issues before the fix and didn't expect any afterwards. Guns, whether pistols, rifles, or shotguns, are like a woman. If it feels good it stays, if it doesn't feel right it has to go! It is really that simple, at least to me.