The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Rkerry

Fine Powder for 9mm Luger

I finally bought a set of dies for 9mm Luger and have decided to reload the 3,000 or so cases I've kept for the past few years. I've never reloaded 9mm before (I've loaded mostly magnum revolvers and rifle loads), and my Hornady manual recommends quite a few powders that I have not used before, including: Blue Dot, Power Pistol, Accurate No. 7, Bullseye, and a few others.

Can anyone recommend a smooth, consistent-metering powder for 9mm from this list? I trust the Hornady manual and am sure that any of these powders will perform well, but I prefer powders that are more fine (not coarse) since fine powder meters much more smoothly and consistently. If one of these powders is finer and will meter more consistently, that than is what I would prefer to use.

Thanks in advance! It's hard enough to find powder these days without worrying about buying one that's a pain in the neck to meter out.
Old February 9, 2014, 03:09 PM   #2
loademwell

I think (I better go and check after this) I used Titwad for making some 9mm. But hate to say, the cold has kept me in from pulling the the trigger on them yet.
Old February 9, 2014, 03:30 PM   #3
jag2

My favorite for 9mm is Accurate #5. It is about as fine as any I've seen which I prefer because I use the Lee powder dippers and I can get very consistent loads. However, I think I've read it is almost too fine for some of the metering devices, maybe others can comment on that.
Old February 9, 2014, 03:55 PM   #4
MarkGlazer

Your bullet type and weight will help you determine what you "should" use. Personally, I just began loading Ramshot Silhouette for my wifes' 9mm CZ 75 using a 115 grain lead cast bullet. It is finer powder compared to Titegroup, which has been my mainstay for the past year.

Two weeks ago we were on the range and I had 100 rounds of each loaded but did not tell the wife. Her first box was Titegroup and she shot well. When she shot Silhouette her grouping was tighter and nailed center mass consistently. Yesterday on the range I had nothing but Silhouette for her and she was 'ok' consistently hitting center mass but didn't feel too comfortable. I always load the median weight. I think I'll back it down by a tenth of a grain and see how she feels in our next outing. But over all, Silhouette has out performed Titegroup.

I also try to keep a common strategy in play, purchasing powders that I will be able to use for everything that I want to load for. It may sound limiting but it's a simple strategy that lets me buy in bulk once the powder becomes available.

Good luck.
Old February 9, 2014, 05:06 PM   #5
1Victor30

loademwell, if you do find your Titewad data, could you post it? I got some by accident a while back...thought it was Titegroup...and have not found much data. The loads I did make would not cycle my XD9 and they were near the max.
Old February 9, 2014, 05:25 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Been using accurate #7 in my 9mm's for many many years. Near a full case is their usual requirement for a #7s powder charge. So I never have to worry about a double-charge accident. I use my Litt'l Dandy powder measure'r for the purpose. I don't at the moment remember if #7 is a ball powder or not. No matter as its pretty (fine) looking stuff. Excellent for powder measure's of all types including Lee's Disk measuring powder measurer's too.
Old February 9, 2014, 05:39 PM   #7
reload

I use HP-38 (same as W231) for 9mm and .45 ACP. Meters very well.
Old February 9, 2014, 08:26 PM   #8
ligonierbill

Power Pistol. Meters very well. Great powder for most auto rounds.
Old February 9, 2014, 09:00 PM   #9
mmb713

Power Pistol and AA#7 are going to be the easiest metering of the powders you listed, and the best in 9mm. Both were developed for the 9mm Luger and are Hornady's top recommended powders for loading it.

Blue Dot will give top performance but it is a coarse flake powder. Bullseye will work for light target loads but is too fast to give top performance. Fast powders will work in 9mm but Power Pistol and AA#7, and other powders with similar burning rates, will give top performance.

Of those two I would pick Power Pistol first because it will work better with lighter bullets than AA#7 but still give good performance with the heavy bullets. AA#7 really starts to shine with the heavier bullets.
Old February 9, 2014, 09:22 PM   #10
Jay24bal

If you want a "finer" powder, I would have to agree with a couple of the others and say Accurate #5.

In fact, the granules are so small, I stopped using it because it would leak out of my powder dispenser (Lee Auto Disk). Now, this is not a knock against the powder (it very well may be a knock against the Auto Disk though, but I like it and will continue to use it), in fact I loved the performance I got out of #5. I have since switched over to Unique for my 9mm, but only because I was sick of seeing several charges worth of powder sitting on my bench and floor after loading 100 rounds.

Also on the smaller side is Power Pistol, which I have found to meter very well. I use it for my 40 S&W loads.

Really, with 9mm you have so many options and it is almost hard to NOT find a good load with most powders listed for the cartridge.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old February 9, 2014, 10:03 PM   #11
Misssissippi Dave

Spherical or ball powders do measure better than flake powders do. This opens up plenty of powders you could use to load 9 mm with. I like AA5 with 124 grain FMJ bullets. AA7 does work and measures well. It just is not my preferred powder. AA2, W231/HP38, WSF, True Blue, Power Pistol and a bunch of others will work well. The weight and type of bullet along with the speed you are trying to achieve will determine which powder work the best.
Old February 9, 2014, 10:12 PM   #12
boxing21

Another vote for Power Pistol. Currently my favorite 9mm powder, however it's near impossible to locate these days.
Old February 9, 2014, 10:36 PM   #13
LE-28

Quote:
I think (I better go and check after this) I used Titwad for making some 9mm. But hate to say, the cold has kept me in from pulling the the trigger on them yet.
I hope not, to date I've never seen reloading data using Titewad for any pistols except 45acp. It's supposed to be strickly 12 ga shotgun powder according to Hodgdon's website. I thought there used to be a warning on the bottle something like, Not Suitable for Pistol Loads.

It's not suitable for high pressure loads.

OP- another vote for Power Pistol. Meters well and was designed for 9mm and 40 S&W.

I use it for .357 mag with plated bullets also, 8 gr with a 158gr is very accurate.
Old February 9, 2014, 10:36 PM   #14
bedbugbilly

For my SR9, I use 3.5 gr. of BE and a cast lead bullet out of a Lee 356-120-TC mold. They drop at about .358, I size them to .357. I'm using a Lee Perfect Powder Measure and the BE loads drop very consistent out of that measure. The SR9 cycles perfectly - I'm very happy with that load. YMMV depending on what hand gun you're using, etc.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 9, 2014, 10:40 PM   #15
jimbob86

I like Power pistol for 9mm. Meters well. Bulky enough to avoid a double charge slipping by.

The only downside is that it is a bit flashy out of short barrels.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old February 9, 2014, 11:07 PM   #16
mlk3454

I second this response. Power pistol is my most used powder for 9mm. The muzzle flash isn't too noticeable unless you shoot short barrels or max loads.
Old February 9, 2014, 11:57 PM   #17
Rkerry

Power Pistol and AA #5 & #7

Thanks everyone for the great information. Sounds like I have a few excellent choices...now I just need to find some on the shelves somewhere!
Old February 10, 2014, 12:42 AM   #18
totalloser

I used AA no5 for years in a handful of different autoloader cartridges (.357sig, .40, 9mm) and the only gripe I have had was that being a ball powder sometimes it gets under the disc in my Lee autodisc during extended loading sessions. When it does, more tends to sneak in and once it does, little pieces trickle down into the works of the press.

Recently I started switching to power pistol and have had different quirks. Behind cast boolits it is tricky to dial in a load. Tiny changes in charge weight make large changes in heat in the load. Compounding this issue is that going from one cavity to another in a disc varies greatly with PP. As in going up one size only increases weight 1/10 grain, then the next after that drops almost a grain heavier. The drops are very consistent, but this makes it impossible to dial in what I'd really like in some instances. *Especially* with lubed lead boolits. It doesn't seem to let any sneak under the disc though.

I intend to put set screws in the cavities of a few discs to accommodate this quirk. The adjustable disc has it's own quirks which I don't feel like fooling with. But between the two, AA5 was very forgiving and versatile. I suspect AA7 would be even more so except in situations where lack of case volume creates compressed loads.
Old February 10, 2014, 10:36 AM   #19
kerreckt

Titegroup, AA#5, Power Pistol are all powders that meter well. AA#5 was specifically developed for the 9mm round. I only use AA#7 with 147gr bullets.
There are many more powders that will work well with 9mm. The three I named are ones I use regularly with very good results. Best wishes
Old February 10, 2014, 10:49 AM   #20
zxcvbob

Bullseye, unless you're going to go maximum-power loads all the time (then use Power Pistol, which is a slower-burning version of BE)

As previously mentioned, AA#5 and AA#7 might be *too* fine.

Universal might be good too. I haven't used it in 9mm, but in other cartridges it work almost as good as Unique, and it measures easier and burns cleaner. It doesn't quite give the same velocity or accuracy as Unique -- but maybe it does in 9mm.

There are lots of good choices. You'll have to figure out for yourself what the best one is
Old February 10, 2014, 01:23 PM   #21
precision_shooter

Sounds to me like the type of powder dispenser/drop will make a difference in which powder works best for your purposes.

I use AA#5 for .38spl, .357mag, and soon .357sig, 9mm, and 10mm. I get very consistent drops from my RCBS powder measure. Never more than .1gr difference from drop to drop.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old February 10, 2014, 04:08 PM   #22
WESHOOT2

here are my fine choices

1) WAP (Ramshot Silhouette) (man I still gotta lotta WAP)

2) Power Pistol

3) 3N37

4) HS6

5) AA5

6) W231
Old February 10, 2014, 04:40 PM   #23
loademwell

Titewad data: I found it,,,, I got it off line on the Hodgdon Powder company
Link: data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load_print_asp?printnow=1 (hope it works)

124 gr. berb hbrn tp Titewad .356 COL: 1.150
Start: 2.9 grains for 847 fps with 28,700 psi
Max: 3.4 grains for 942 fps with 32,200 psi

Hummmm... I guess thats the only one there is.... Checked all over the chart for any more but it looks to be the only one.

Hope that helps.
Old June 10, 2014, 07:23 PM   #24
Silence is golden

The best target round for 9mm I have ever loaded consists of a LEE TL.358-158-SWC sized to .356 lubed with LLA with 3.0grs of bullseye velocity was 869fps out a 4" barrel FN FNX9 coal is 1.020
Old June 13, 2014, 12:47 PM   #25
Reloader2

Titegroup

I've been using Titegroup with a Berry's 115 plated bullet. Meters well through a Lee auto disk measure. Not much volume so have to be on the look out for a double load.