The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2001, 04:26 PM   #1
TKL

I want to start shot shell reloading & am looking for a decent one that is fast & easy, multi stage. Quality is important and money not an object up to a point.
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
TKL
Old January 19, 2001, 04:38 PM   #2
proximo

If price is no object, take a look at the Dillon SL 900, otherwise the MEC 9000G is a decent press for less than half the price. I just bought a 9000G and while its not bad, its not a Dillon and I now wish I'd saved my bucks and gotten the Dillon in the first place.

One of the major advantages the Dillon has over the MEC press is the case-activated powder and shot dispensers. That means that if a case isn't sitting under it, the powder/shot is not dispensed. This is the way my Dillon RL550B works and its great. The MEC dispenses without regard for whether something is there to receive it and I've spilt a lot of powder and shot all over the place trying to get the damn thing setup. I'm sure once its setup and running well, that won't be a problem because a lot of folks use and love the MECs, and the MEC turns out a nice shell when its working, but the frustration has left me longing for the great design of the Dillon.
Old January 19, 2001, 06:01 PM   #3
ViKing

My brother and I used a MEC 650 to reload thousands of 12 gauge shells for trap, upland, ducks, & geese. We didn't have that many different loads, and used Win AA cases, Win powders and wads, all shells were 2 3/4" 12 gauge.

Never 1 problem, a flawless machine. It pays for itself pretty quickly at about $175.
Old January 20, 2001, 09:56 AM   #4
Quantrill

Mec 650

TKL,
I agree with Viking that the MEC 650 has always done a great job with nary a flaw. Have no experience with the Dillon Shotshell reloader but have a 450B and a 550 both of which have served well for metallic reloading. Quantrill
Old January 20, 2001, 12:14 PM   #5
ViKing

I should have said earlier that all of the shells I loaded in a MEC 650 were lead shot, 2 3/4". BB through #9.

I've never loaded steel, no buckshot, no 3" or 3 1/2".

Old January 23, 2001, 01:28 AM   #6
proximo

I believe the biggest difference between the MEC 650 and the 9000G is that the latter auto-indexes. That's the feature that gave me the most headaches, and the most spilled components, setting it up. The fact that it will dump powder and shot without a hull in position to receive it just made it worse.

There is another problem as well. If I don't operate the handle exactly right on the upstroke, the lifter in the deprime/sizing stage lifts too far up and jams the shell plate. Trying to correct that has been the source of most of my spills. If I operate the handle firmly all the way down and then firmly all the way up, so that it strikes the stop firmly at both ends, it seems to work ok but I have to conciously think to bang it against the top stop. If I only load one shell at a time it also seems to work ok even when I have to correct a jam. Its only when trying to use it as a progressive press that it seems to get onery and make a mess on the floor. Having worked with Dillon presses for a number of years, I find it hard to believe the SL 900 would be such a pain in the butt to get right.

Oh, and the load I'm working with is Win AA hulls, WAA12SL wads, 1oz 7 1/2 lead shot and Titewad powder.
Old January 25, 2001, 09:12 PM   #7
pyke

I've been using the SL900 for several months now and it is a great machine. I've had no problems with it and it is extremely fast. I've loaded 15 cases of shells in the last month. You can easily load 400-500 hundred rounds in a evening. I haven't loaded any heavy shot(BB), only clay loads- 7 1/2, 8, 9.
Hulls- AA, Remington Premier, and Peters.
Powders- AA, WSF, Universal Clays, Longshot, Blue Dot
Wads --Remington Fig 8, WAAF114, WAA12, WAA12SL
Not a problem with any of those so far. I definitely recommend this machine if money is no object. The only thing that a ponsness-warren and MEC 9000 machine has over the dillon is the ability to add a hydraulic unit.
Old January 30, 2001, 10:44 AM   #8
Rottweiler

I have the MEC 9000G and I'm very happy with it. The only thing I have done to it and unless you're not the "nosy gotta inspect everything before I pull the lever"type (like my wife says I am) disable the auto indexing feature. This way I can inspect everything. Also this makes it operate very much like my Dillon 550B
Old December 29, 2005, 07:32 PM   #9
bodieBill

Buckshot loads

Anyone have any recipies for buckshot reloading
Old December 31, 2005, 09:35 AM   #10
MADISON

Shotgun shell reloading

DO NOT GET A LEE shotshell press!!!
A MEC 600 jr [$125?]or a Hornady press [$400?] is my recommendation.