The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 29, 2014, 12:29 AM   #26
wayneinFL

I guess without going into suitability for a particular purpose, I'd have to say I enjoy shooting handguns more than rifles or shotguns. It's just plain fun. It's challenging at time or distance, cheap to reload. And while it can be argued shotguns or rifles are more suitable for certain uses, a handgun is just about always there.
Old January 29, 2014, 12:40 AM   #27
BornToLooze

I like handguns because shooting them is more of a challenge, but if I could only pick one, give me a rifle.
Old January 29, 2014, 12:53 AM   #28
Cirdan

I like both, but enjoy shooting the handguns more. Also easier, the rifle range is a bit of a pain. . . people taking a looonnnnnngggggg time resetting targets at 300 yards.
Old January 29, 2014, 01:39 AM   #29
ronl

I like my rifles better than handguns, but need the handguns for work. I ought to spend more time shooting the pistols, but I just like shooting out beyond 300yds. It just seems a bit more of a challenge to me.
Old January 29, 2014, 06:18 AM   #30
TheNatureBoy

Rifles. Bolt action specifically
Old January 29, 2014, 09:42 AM   #31
Beentown71

I prefer to shoot handguns more than rifles. I prefer semi auto rifle over bolt. I "like" them all.
Old January 29, 2014, 10:02 AM   #32
mavracer

Quote:
I like my rifles better than handguns, but need the handguns for work. I ought to spend more time shooting the pistols, but I just like shooting out beyond 300yds. It just seems a bit more of a challenge to me.
I might be wrong but wouldn't shooting handguns at 300 yards be more of a challange
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old January 29, 2014, 12:04 PM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

You like handguns or rifles better?

Only one answer possible for me....

YES!!!!

Old January 29, 2014, 02:38 PM   #34
s3779m

So glad we don't have to actually pick one or the other. I do enjoy them all.
Old January 29, 2014, 10:14 PM   #35
Kev

I enjoy making either go bang.
Old February 1, 2014, 03:23 PM   #36
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I own more long guns than handguns but it seems the handguns get used more.
-------Metallica
Old February 1, 2014, 03:49 PM   #37
SHE3PDOG

I own more long guns than handguns, but I love shooting handguns SO much more than rifles. I'm probably pretty equal as far as skill goes for the two.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 1, 2014, 04:26 PM   #38
larryf1952

I grew up with rifles and shotguns, and used them to hunt with my relatives in Kansas. By the time that I turned 21, that was pretty much over. I had never fired or held a handgun, and I became interested in those. My handgun collection grew and quickly surpassed my long guns in number.

I used to belong to a range that had 100, 200 and 300 yard rifle ranges, and I had a couple of SKS's and a MAK90 in those days. Then, I moved and I no longer have anywhere to shoot a rifle or hunt. The only rifles that I have now are .22's that I've inherited from my father or grandfather, as well as a Winchester model 12 20 gauge pump. But, I never shoot them. It just doesn't occur to me to do it.

So, I'm a handgun guy. I have a safe full of them, and I reload for 8 calibers. If I had to have only 1 firearm, though, I think I'd like to have a Mini-14 sized rifle in .308 or 7.62x39.
Old February 2, 2014, 05:22 PM   #39
uofudavid

I love shooting anything, as long as it is accurate.

I have found that the focus that long range shooting requires is therapeutic for me when I am shooting alone.

Some of the best days of my life have been when I was able to take my children shooting with me for some quality one on one time. I would rather shoot BB guns with my children than a 50 BMG all by myself.
Old February 2, 2014, 08:17 PM   #40
9ballbilly

Since I don't hunt anymore I'm a handgun guy by default. I CC a snubnose revolver daily and transition to one of two longer barreled revolvers for camp/trail use.
I do keep one rifle and one shotgun which I have no intention of giving up, I also have a powerful spring piston .177 air rifle which has taken over some pest control duties. Still about 95% of my overall usage is with a handgun these days.

That's not to say that the rifle and shotgun are safe queens, far from it. If feral hogs were to pop up in my back yard the .30-30 would come out of retirement in a whopping hurry.
Old February 4, 2014, 03:35 PM   #41
lostintheozone

You forgot shotguns

Not sure why you left them out, still a lead delivery system and a fair SD option. I have one rifle, 5 handguns and 5 shotguns.

That would be handguns to answer your question.
Old February 4, 2014, 06:51 PM   #42
RBid

I have 4 handguns, 0 long guns.

My carry gun goes everywhere I go. A handgun saved my life, and I can shoot at indoor ranges any day of the year. They're fun and practical. Love 'em.
Old February 4, 2014, 06:55 PM   #43
zincwarrior

My eyesight says I love handguns.
Old February 4, 2014, 11:08 PM   #44
GunXpatriot

For right now, rifles. I have to, considering I can't own a handgun yet, nor would I want to with all the intrusiveness in NY.

But who knows? Once I get my hands on something like a .38 special revolver, or maybe a 1911 of sorts, I could possibly change my mind.
Old February 5, 2014, 08:28 PM   #45
Justice06RR

I used to like handguns more.

Then I bought my first rifle, which started the long gun addiction. I'm definitely a better rifle shooter so I prefer them over handguns.

The compromise is that I also own AR and AK Pistols
Old February 8, 2014, 07:18 PM   #46
FloridaGuy

I am a revolver guy...

I own 2 rifles and can not hit anything with them. My dominant eye is my left eye but I am right handed. So this makes it almost impossible for me to use the sights on a rifle holding it in my right hand.
Old February 14, 2014, 02:07 PM   #47
Jeff #111

Handguns - mostly revolvers.

The ratio of my collection is 20% rifles and 80% handguns.
Old February 17, 2014, 09:27 AM   #48
Skans

Handguns. The designs are more varied and interesting. Their construction is generally more precise than a rifle as well. I do like nice shotguns as well, but you don't get as much gun for your money with a nice shotgun as you do with a nice handgun.
Old February 17, 2014, 10:17 AM   #49
Jay24bal

I prefer rifles.

I view handguns as 100% utilitarian tools. I carry one around everyday to protect myself if the need ever arises. There is one in the nightstand for the bump in the night (but it is second choice to the shotgun anyway). While I can appreciate fine handguns, they just do not do anything for me beyond serving a SD purpose.

The reason I prefer rifles is that the elusive chase for one hole that is equal to the diameter of the bullet with five shots going through it is what really drives me. Just something about ultimate accuracy that motivates me.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old February 17, 2014, 10:30 AM   #50
VaPlinker

I am fairly new to shooting, although I am an older fart. My 70-80 yard shooting setup is on the short side for rifles, and on the long side for pistols. When I go out for an hour of plinking I take either my 10/22 or my 17hmr AND I also take my 22/45 pistol.
After shooting up the targets with a mag or two with the rifle, I walk up to reset with the pistol and shoot a mag or two with that.

I have noticed a marked difference in my mental processes. The rifle shots take more time, refining my aim on the same target and I prefer my bolt action 17 to my semi auto 10/22. I tend to shoot mush faster with the pistol, moving from target to target rather than concentrating on one.

I enjoy the combination much more than I do any particular one.