The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 29, 2014, 02:34 PM   #26
MJFlores

Dragline45, thank you for posting those two photos...now people can see what I'm talking about. Those two revolvers are inexcusable and how they ever left S&W as a finished gun ready for sale is a wonder. They just don't care. For the amount of effort it would take to polish them, there's no excuse not to. The real scary part is there's people on this very thread that consider this acceptable behavior... so it's no wonder why S&W does it. Years ago, and not long ago mind you..a company would never release a product looking like that. It's deplorable. For those of you who argue "function vs. looks" and try to snub off those of us who demand quality....let me know when you buy new vehicles. I'll be over with a wet rag covered in sand to rub all over your new car. Wont matter to you though right?...it still drives so.... Unbelievable what some people are willing to accept. No wonder the most common thread on forums like this are "I bought a new gun but.... I'm sending it back". America is declining in more ways than one.
Old January 30, 2014, 05:41 PM   #27
Doug S

You think some of these guys are giving you a hard time, go and "bash" a Taurus, and that group will really give you trouble. Seriously, I hear what you're saying, and I don't necessarily disagree with you. I think some people can get too caught up on minor cosmetic details, but there is some level of fit and finish that should be expected. I've purchased a couple of new S&W 642' in 2004-5 that were sloppy IMO. One had a nasty barrel that appeared to have been damaged during assembly. The other had some badly fitted parts. I ended up finding a lightly used prelock 642 from the late 90s. Fit and finish was much better. Also none of the finish peeling problems I've read about in recent years. Not saying the new are bad, just that I do not doubt that your personal experience has been negative.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old January 31, 2014, 10:35 AM   #28
Rogervzv

Buck said:
Quote:
It also seems for every happen owner that posts once about their positive experience, there is one unhappy troll that posts continuously about problems their friend or someone they know had.
Exactly right. My S&W revolvers (my Rugers too, for that matter) function 100% and in my humble opinion are beautiful pieces of industrial art. Plus, they are reliable tools that can be counted on to do their jobs.
Old January 31, 2014, 03:10 PM   #29
Dragline45

Quote:
Exactly right. My S&W revolvers (my Rugers too, for that matter) function 100% and in my humble opinion are beautiful pieces of industrial art. Plus, they are reliable tools that can be counted on to do their jobs.
This thread isn't about the reliable function of S&W revolvers, it's about the awful finish they put on their stainless revolvers. If you can look at those two photos I posted and think those are acceptable finishes for an $800-$1000 revolver, than you are more easily pleased than I am. As I mentioned before, I know how to apply a proper brushed finish, what S&W puts on their revolvers is not a proper brushed finish. Rugers which can be had for sometimes $200 less have a much better stainless finish than the S&W's, there is no excuse for that.