The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 21, 2014, 12:08 PM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

32 HR Mag loads

So I was thinking about 32 HR mag loads for my 432 primarily and maybe for my 632 (I do have 327 for it).

Experiences with the Buffalo Bore vs. the Hornady Critical Defense. I do have the Federal loads already.

Both of the former seem an upgrade from the Federal but I've never tested such by shooting a watermelon - haha.

Thanks.

Glenn
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old January 22, 2014, 08:43 PM   #2
L_Killkenny

Sorry Glen, is there a question in the someplace?

To date I've fired exactly 120 factory loads thru my .32M and that was years ago. Since then nothing but handloads. 98gr. LRNFP's over 2.5grs of TiteGroup for plinkin and small game loads. 85gr. XTP's over book max. of BlueDot for anything bigger like coon and coyote. Is that any help?
Old January 22, 2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Aristides

Interestingly, I too have a 432 and and 632.

I carry the BB H&R 100 grain magnum in both guns, although I have 327 magnum for the 632.

I have not shot Critical Defense in 32 H&R.

But, I can tell you that BB 100 grain H&R magnum is noticeably easier to shoot than the 327 magnum, but still not a puffball.

The BB 100 grain is noticeably stiffer than the 85 grain Black Hills H&R I previously carried in the 432.

So, for me, the results are as expected: Easier in the stainless 632, stiffer in the 432.

I have not done any kind of ballistics/gel/water jug testing.
Old January 23, 2014, 07:30 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

I can never remember S&W's model numbers, but I have one of the air weight 6 shot J frames, love the gun, but honestly haven't experimented too much with ammo... I have always bought the Federal stuff... been looking at the Critical Defense, but have never run across any

also have a matched pair of stainless single sixes that I load for, though mostly with Trailboss for cowboy loads
Old January 23, 2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Derbel McDillet

I have a DAO S&W 632 Pro-Series revolver. Been curious about handloading Hornady's 100gr XTP to achieve a velocity of 1000-1050 fps. (This bullet has the same sectional density as .40 S&W 165gr.) My gut tells me it would give excellent terminal performance (adequate penetration and reliable expansion) with moderate recoil.
Old January 24, 2014, 04:41 AM   #6
magmax

I have the 332 [titanium] and the 632. I carry the Buffalo Bore 100gr .32 H&R load in the 332. It chronographs at over 1000fps from that short barrel. Hotter than my "stiff" handloads w/ the XTP 100gr bullet. Not all that pleasent to shoot, but a great little carry gun.
No experience with Hornady Critical Defense.
David
Old January 26, 2014, 07:22 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

For grins, I shot my 631 as an outlaw at the IDPA match today. It was a sweet heart. I have added a fiber optic front sight and a U rear sight. I'm not a speed demon on revolver reloads and used the HKS type.

I think it is a great gun for revolver shooters with small hands. With the full power 327s - it isn't going to be sneezed at.

I shot Fiocchi 32 SW Longs (cheaper) and low and behold it knocked down steel.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter