The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2014, 08:31 PM   #26
Wtlj

Best gun coating?

Not sure why everyone is so against cerakote or other quality coatings. Has to be better than the crap finish I've had on my Kimbers. FYI the shop has a 5 year warranty!
Old January 25, 2014, 10:38 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

What makes you think it holds up on interiors of barrels or on slides? I would love to see a gun with 70K rounds through it that has any cerakote left on any wear surfaces.
Actually, 10K would surprise me.
I would be surprised if there were no spots where it wore through after 5k.

I will clarify that Nitriding does not technically qualify as a coating as it is a material treatment. Nothing is added, rather the metal is changed.
Old January 26, 2014, 03:41 AM   #28
Wtlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post
What makes you think it holds up on interiors of barrels or on slides? I would love to see a gun with 70K rounds through it that has any cerakote left on any wear surfaces.
Actually, 10K would surprise me.
I would be surprised if there were no spots where it wore through after 5k.

I will clarify that Nitriding does not technically qualify as a coating as it is a material treatment. Nothing is added, rather the metal is changed.
Who said anything about the "interior" of barrels? Your one of those guys that don't even read the threads and just ramble aren't you?
Old February 15, 2014, 05:33 PM   #29
Wtlj

Well I promised pictures but she's not ready yet!
Here's a sneak peak after the Cerakoting. Ill be installing meprolight tactical wedge night sights and VZ grips shortly. My only hang up now is trying to decide on a vz grip pattern and profile!

Thanks for all the help guys. Ill be back with completed pictures from a real camera and not my iphone when she's done.
Old February 15, 2014, 05:54 PM   #30
madmo44mag

I have dura-coated several firearms and like any paint process it’s all in the prep.
The ones you see that did not hold up were not properly prepped prior to coating.
It does hold up even better if you bake the finish.
One thing that dura-coat does not tell you to do is to chemically surface etch the metal.
This gives microscopic pores for the coating to adhere too.
DuPont makes a number of chemicals suited for the different metals and plastics guns are made of to etch the surface. (Your local automotive paint supply can help you with this)
It is a simple process it just takes attention to detail and don’t rush.
Here is a picture of a LE 303 I did several months back that see a lot of use.
The only place that the coating has shown any wear is the receiver where the bolt contacts it. Of course this is to be expected considering every time the bolt moves it moves across this surface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1033.JPG (49.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1037.JPG (49.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1043.JPG (49.9 KB, 13 views)