The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 21, 2014, 03:27 PM   #26
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycw
...that grip is hideous looking
Not only is it hideous-looking, it's so small that I would be afraid that the gun would go flying the first time I lit off a 158gr .38Spl+P round.

Who at Taurus thought it would be a good idea to use the (dinky) grip dimensions of a S&W .32 Double Action or an H&R Young America Double Action on a 9-oz. revolver that can fire a cartridge with up to 3 times the muzzle energy of .32 S&W?!?
Old January 21, 2014, 03:29 PM   #27
Noreaster

If that thing was laying on the side of the road I'd put it out of its misery!
Old January 21, 2014, 03:30 PM   #28
Sevens

That's pretty horrendous, but I will offer a different angle than everyone seems to be taking.

Taurus makes a lot of crazy stuff. Most of them don't get produced for long, but I think it's terrific that we've got at least one big gun maker that doesn't have (seemingly?) any self-imposed limits on what can or should be tried.

Taurus hit a home run with the Judge. (yeah, I loathe it also)
But the Judge proved to Taurus (and others...) that taking chances sometimes pays off.

This is the gunmaker that introduced a revolving carbine. .30 Carbine double-action revolver. Same revolver in .22 Hornet.

Taurus has guts. Again, back to the Judge. (yes, I still hate it)
Now who might EVER have predicted that an extremely mediocre gun with entirely sketchy actual, tangible use would have gotten -SO- irrationally successful as to actually push the stodgy Smith & Wesson and force them to answer the huge market with their Governor?

I don't know all, and I have no crystal ball, but without the Taurus Judge, the S&W Governor would NEVER have been built. The guy who suggested it to R&D would have been shipped out of Springfield for counseling.

This "View" revolver is hideous, but yeah... I'll give Taurus credit (again!) for doing crazy stuff and actually making guns that nobody else would even consider.
Old January 21, 2014, 11:26 PM   #29
Kev

^^^ that was a solid post there Sevens^^^

It also occurred to me at least you can see what breaks!!
Old January 22, 2014, 06:57 AM   #30
Kilibreaux

If they make them Cal legal hell yes I'll consider buying one! They weigh in a NINE (9) ounces for Pete's sake! Who wouldn't want a 9 ounce, 5 shot, revolver?
If you don't like the clear side plate, PAINT IT!
Old January 22, 2014, 09:08 AM   #31
Magnum Wheel Man

buy it??? um probably not... but ummm... maybe

a couple things I do like... the clear side plate can show you the condition ( lint accumulation ??? ) of the works... if it'll stay clear enough with gun lube, & possibly parts rubbing on the inside... I don't know, but in theory... I don't mind it...

... & even though I'm a big guy, I have come to appreciate the light weight guns... after all, these are designed to carry often, & shoot not as much... I love my S&W air lite & air weight revolvers... the grip is most often what would print in a revolver like this... I'm betting it's no harder to hold onto than the typical pocket 9 or 380, or one of those little Glocks in bigger calibers like 45 ACP

one thought though... it might look cool, if the guts were all engraved like a vintage pocket watch... perhaps that might help it over come some of the ugly

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; January 22, 2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old January 22, 2014, 09:27 AM   #32
aarmel732

New? No.
Used - You bet! Light 5 shot revolver that looks like a skeleton watch. Sounds kinda cool. As long as it shoots well, and is reliable (as all my Taurus guns have been) nothing wrong with a little gimmick fun in the gun world. Just because it isn't boring doesn't make it a bad thing. But it seems gun guys like boring (Glock love, Beretta Neos hate)
Old January 22, 2014, 08:08 PM   #33
floydster

Just a gimick, double "hell no".
Old January 22, 2014, 08:30 PM   #34
Bill DeShivs

The frame size is the same as the model 85. All they did was put a tiny grip frame on and 1 " barrel. The sideplate will cloud up the first time the gun is oiled. I would prefer a metal side plate for wear purposes. Taurus does build some innovative guns. This one is not very innovative, though.
Old January 22, 2014, 08:53 PM   #35
BOBA FETT

ruger came out with the 30 carbine revolver before taurus did..but i would love to have a raging 30 revolver...
Old January 22, 2014, 08:55 PM   #36
BOBA FETT

they were supposed to come out with a .223 revolver too...taurus will make anything ...
Old January 22, 2014, 11:33 PM   #37
Sgt127

I wonder if the sideplates are interchangeable with the regular 85?
Old January 23, 2014, 05:17 AM   #38
Sevens

Quote:
ruger came out with the 30 carbine revolver before taurus did..but i would love to have a raging 30 revolver...
Ruger, however, never made a .30 Carbine chambered double action revolver with a swing-out cylinder.

Huge, huge difference.

Likewise, Kimball made a semi-auto .30 Carbine pistol long before AMT ever did, but the Kimball had a "feature" that most don't want in their guns.
Old January 23, 2014, 07:25 AM   #39
zx9rt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieCruffler View Post
I'm giving it some serious thought. You know they won't be made for long and it would be an interesting conversation starter.

I believe you may be onto something there. A good possibility of collector value down the road maybe?
Old January 23, 2014, 07:42 AM   #40
Magnum Wheel Man

I have several discontinued guns that could be considered collectable...

practical ones like my S&W Air Weight 32 H&R Magnum J Frame, & my S&W Air Lite 44 Special... those two have "real" value... I do have a Taurus Raging Hornet, & while it is discontinued, it had maybe "as new" value, before I used it for a custom... so I doubt the "View" would ever have more than new price value, after it was used, even after it was discontinued
Old January 23, 2014, 07:54 AM   #41
skizzums

i dont know why, but if its affordable, ill take one

if they offer the same gun without the clear plate, id rather have that, but if not; no big deal

i have been really happy with my taurus revolver so far, and am looking forward to buying another one day, and they usually sell the snubbies for under 400$
Old January 23, 2014, 07:47 PM   #42
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I suppose they could have made the gun out of transparent aluminum. Movie sci-fi reference - who knows it.

It's probably shootable if you use one of the lower powered self-defense rounds. Certainly, the LCP wallops my hand.

Wait for the Glock in transparent polymer.
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old January 23, 2014, 08:01 PM   #43
Joe_Pike

Star Trek.
Old January 23, 2014, 08:21 PM   #44
pete2

No way. It's a Taurus, seen too many problems with This brand.
Old January 23, 2014, 08:46 PM   #45
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
If someone gave me one for free, I would be offended.
I laughed way too hard at that. Anyways, they have a PINK one too!!!

I showed it to my wife. She was offended.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old January 23, 2014, 10:33 PM   #46
heyjoe

barring any widespread reports of problems, this will probably be my first taurus. i have a few I frames and some airlite and airweight j frames. i love small light revolvers. I think that wadcutters will be perfect for this gun.
Old January 23, 2014, 11:41 PM   #47
Crazy88Fingers

I have an old top break .38 that I bought just for the novelty of it. I may do the same for a tiny revolver with a clear sideplate. No way in hell it's seeing any defensive use though.
Old January 24, 2014, 01:11 AM   #48
Cheapshooter

Pass....I do like the tiny grip, and super short barrel. But they completely lost me with the see-through side plate. Completely useless, dumb looking, and destined to be scratched, fogged with oil, and otherwise made even dumber looking.
Upside down revolvers, Buck Rodgers looking semi-autos, pistols that don't look like pistols, and a see through revolvers. Are gun makers so desperate for new designs they are in a race to see who can make the most ridiculous looking guns?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 24, 2014, 12:26 PM   #49
peacefulgary

I think it's very interesting.

As for the looks of the gun....
This is clearly (get it ) designed for down and dirty self defense.
It's not supposed to look pretty.
Old January 24, 2014, 07:20 PM   #50
Leejack

If Smith made the view everybody would love it and Taurus would copy it just like they did with the governor.

Wait a minute, that's not how it happened! LOL!

But wait! If Glock made the view, the cowboys would excuse the awful grip.

I doubt I will be getting a view as my model 85 is perfect just the way it is.