The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old January 24, 2014, 12:18 PM   #26
Sea Buck

From what's being said: Hornady SST, interlock, and Interbond, Nosler Accubond and Ballistic Tip, are nearly clones of each other with similar performance. So based on this premis what is left, Round Nose, and Partition types? I plan to load with some AccuBond's I got as a stocking stuffer( my wife liked the white tips!!) for long range game. Also some Interlocks for closer game. I used RN's for years on 25- 50 yd shots, with great performance, and minimum meat damage. I have no idea why I changed and maybe I'll go back to that load for that range.
Old January 24, 2014, 01:03 PM   #27
Doyle

[QUOTE]Hornady SST, interlock, and Interbond, Nosler Accubond and Ballistic Tip, are nearly clones of each other with similar performanceQUOTE]

I completely disagree with this assesment. SST and Ballistic tip are pretty much the same thing from different manufacturers. Interlocks and Interbonds have very different construction. I think that Accubonds are just Nosler's version of the Hornady Interbond.
Old January 24, 2014, 09:00 PM   #28
reynolds357

The SST is in my humble opinion a poor copy of the Ballistic Tip. Maybe every box I have bought has just been the lemon lot, but I have never gotten what I consider acceptable accuracy from a SST.
Old January 24, 2014, 10:25 PM   #29
LOLBELL

Quote:
but I have never gotten what I consider acceptable accuracy from a SST.
I have always got nearly one hole accuracy with SST's, although I don't use them for hunting white tails at any yardage. I prefer a 140 grn boattail spire point in 270 for hunting
Old January 24, 2014, 11:22 PM   #30
reynolds357

My problem with the SST has been flyers. Good base groups with regular flyers. I examined one box of them closely and discovered they vary more in weight than I am comfortable with, but what really caught my attention was you can actually see (and definitely measure) differences in some of the bullets.
Old January 24, 2014, 11:55 PM   #31
globemaster3

@ Reynolds, it could be that your rifle just doesn't like them. I've had no problem in the AR... Yet.

A few years ago, a retired Chief Master Sergeant who mentored me when I was still a wet-behind-the-ears 2Lt tried to develop handloads for my 700 BDL in .308 using Nosler Partitions. Good bullet, right? Not for that rifle! It flat out refused to cooperate. Hornady Interlocks work great in the same rifle. Go figure...
Old January 25, 2014, 04:01 AM   #32
Jim243

Never had a SST come apart on any paper target. If I want steaks, I go to the supermarket, cheaper and much less trouble getting them (less cost and less work). Besides, I can only use 12 gauge slugs for deer around here.

They are super accurate, if the world should fall apart soon, I have a 35 Remington just waiting for it's chance at bat. No DNR would make me very happy.

But back to the SST's

270 Winchester Hornady 130 grain SST's at 100 yards (5 shot group) And, yes, I have a flier, but that was me not the fault of the bullet or gun.

I like them.
Jim
Old January 25, 2014, 08:30 AM   #33
hooligan1

I've taken a truck load of whitetails with the Ballistic-Tip from Nosler, and I cant remember any of them exploding on bone or anything else, I always got nice penetration and weight retention, ( from the ones I was lucky enough to find) the Accubond bullet has a Polymer tip like the SST and Ballistic Tip but that where the similarities die. Hell the Barnes TTSX has a polymer tip, and its an entirely different bullet than SST's and B-tips, so theres no comparing the three.
I've taken four deer with the Accubond and never yet recovered one, never trailed any deer either....
My next bullet purchase will be the Accubond LR 150 grn..284, but for my .270, I'm going to try more Nosler Partitions,,,, not because I dont like any other bullet, but because my Savage really likes them
Old January 25, 2014, 10:56 AM   #34
reynolds357

GlobeMaster, I have shot them in several different rifles. Same in all rifles. They were all 6.5 MM and .270 and they were manufactured at about the same time. Maybe it was a bug they have worked out by now. I notice many people attesting to the accuracy of the SST by validating it with three shot groups. I think, not certain but really think, you would see those regular flyers if you did test groups that totaled 20 to 30 rounds.
Old January 25, 2014, 11:20 AM   #35
jimbob86

Quote:
Please understand, THIS IS A VERY GRAPHIC PICTURE of a buck shot in the neck with a .284, 156 grain SST out of a 7mm Remington Magnum at close range. In the end the results were a tagged filled, but had the shot not been in the upper neck the meat loss may have been catastrophic.
That is still quite a lot of sausage/burger meat gone to waste .....

Nosler's Ballistic Tips do pretty much the same when hitting an animal at near 3K f/sec .... you'll be pickin' lead and bullet jacket fragments out of anything you want to save .... BTDT.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old January 25, 2014, 11:24 AM   #36
jimbob86

Quote:
Compare that to my .308 with Interbonds. 4 deer between 30 and 105 yards. 1 head on through the chest, 1 through the head, the other 2 broadside. The 2 broadsides were through and through with typical results and damage. The head on stopped under the skin on the backside.
Ewwwww.

Bet field dressin that was ..... aromatic.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old January 25, 2014, 12:10 PM   #37
603Country

I get excellent accuracy from the SST's in the grandson's 308, though I admit that it doesn't get used as much as the other rifles. I've long thought that it was an accurate bullet and almost as much so as the Ballistic Tip, which is pretty much the gold standard on hunting and varmint bullets. And in the other rifles, I shoot (and have shot for many years) almost exclusively Nosler Ballistic Tips. You don't want to shoot a deer in the backstrap or hindquarters with a BT. It will make quite a mess. And if you are shooting them in the hindquarters, I don't think you get to make any statement about bullet integrity or accuracy. And that statement that someone made about picking bits and pieces of the BT out of the meat is very wrong. I've shot over 200 deer with a Ballistic Tip and most of them were with my 270 or the previous 270 (at or near 3000 fps) and I haven't found a bullet bit in my food yet. Just shoot em behind the shoulder. A lung shot never fails. Don't shoot the parts you want to eat. Simple rule.
Old January 25, 2014, 10:29 PM   #38
Chestnut Forge

The worst damage I have done was on a whitetail buck at 150 yards with a .308 running Sierra Match King 168s. Hit him a little high and when I skinned him one of his front legs fell of with the hide.
Old January 26, 2014, 09:26 PM   #39
globemaster3

Reynolds... That's noteworthy! Several rifles all doing the same thing is more indicative than a single in terms of data points.

As for my daughter's experience with them, she normally shoots 5-round groups since that's how many her magazine holds. She can normally hold 1.5" groups using the bipod off a bench. There is not normally a discernible flyer, at least one that could be attributed to the bullet and not a called flyer.
Old January 27, 2014, 07:03 AM   #40
Mike / Tx

I have shot all of the above mentioned plastic tipped version bullets to some extent, and hunted with most as well.

From my own experiences while the Nosler BT and the Hornady SST are both VERY accurate from most everything I have shot them in, I do find that velocity is not necessarily your friend when doing so for hunting purposes.

That said if you are running the heavier for caliber BT's or SST's and sticking to mid load velocities your usually going to be fine with them. My daughters 6.5x55 shoots the 140gr A-Max through critters like it was a Pro Hunter. Nothing more than a 1.5" or so wound track. The velocity on them however is only in the 2450'ish FPS range though. Of course most wouldn't use the A-Max for hunting in the first place, but it works and works well for that particular application. I personally shot close to a hundred hogs with it the first year I worked up the load at ranges form several yards to out past 400 to verify they would hold together and NOT blow up as everyone suggested they would.

That all said, I firmly believe the others are no different. Drive them fast and expect damage. Simply the way they are designed, the plastic tip drive rearward and facilitates expansion, very dramatically in some cases. I shoot the SST's and the BT in several calibers and from around 2650 through around 2800'ish impact velocities, depending on the caliber, they work very well and don't mess up much even if your shot goes a little wide and pinpoints a shoulder blade.

I have tried the Accubonds in a couple of calibers and find them to be about as bad, drive them fast and get very rapid expansion keep them within around 2650 and 2900'ish FPS impact velocities and they work great.

If you want the same results time and time again go with the Partition or Barnes and don't look back.
Old January 28, 2014, 06:43 AM   #41
Jack O'Conner

I've experienced bullet blow up with Sierra Game King bullets. These are the boat tailed spitzer soft tips. Yet the animal collapsed and did not move again. I've not tried the SST bullet at all.

Jack
Old January 28, 2014, 03:23 PM   #42
reynolds357

Berger has proven that ammo blowing up inside the animal yields very fast kills. The Ballistic tip got its bad reputation when it first came out. I do not know what Nosler changed, but the first ones were more like varmint grenades than medium to big game hunting bullets. The ballistic tip is now a very dependable hunting bullet. It explodes, but it penetrates deeply enough before it comes apart. When the Ballistic tip first came out, I loaded some 120's in a .264 Win mag. (I think it was 120's cant swear by it, been many moons ago)
I shot a whitetail doe at 60 to 70 yards. I hit her on the shoulder. She ran 400 plus yards and piled up. She ran across an open field is the only way I found her. The bullet his square on the shoulder blade and exploded. Penetration was less than 2" past the ball. The inside of the deer was obviously devesdated by hydrostatic shock, but the bullet itsself did little damage.
The ballistic tips of today will smash a shoulder blade and near exit.
Old January 29, 2014, 02:49 PM   #43
thekyrifleman

Interesting discussion so far, certainly varied experiences....my experience with the SST was with my 280. Shot a whitetail doe, about 150 yds, hit the shoulder blade and she went down. Normal, I thought, until she got up, shot her again, lung shot down for good. Inspection showed the first bullet blew up and did not even penetrate the shoulder blade. These were factory loads. Had just gotten the rifle and had no time to work up a hand load.
This past season killed a buck with same rifle, 140 AB at 2830 fps, mild but accurate, hit the spine and generated a hole big enough to put my fist through. Distance about 165 yds. Didn't expect that from an AB!!

On the other hand, have killed probably a dozen whitetails with my 7STW, 140 BT at 3425 fps, ranging in distance from 30 to 300+ yds. All one shot DRT and never any damage like that AB.

Used Sierra 140 Pro Hunter for nearly 30 years in my 7 mag, and customized 7X57 Mauser with equally good results, same range of distances, all through and through. For the price and performance I now stay with the Sierras for these applications.
Old January 29, 2014, 05:52 PM   #44
Chestnut Forge

If my memory serves. When the Ballistic-tip hit the market it was billed as a bullet for all ranges. Meaning that you should load at a velocity for the range that you intend to shoot. So basically, if it needs 2000fps (a guess) to expand properly, you need to load to be at that speed when it hits the target. This whole thread makes me think I need to do some testing.
Old January 29, 2014, 06:36 PM   #45
reynolds357

The newer ballistic tips have a chart available that will show you what the bullet looks like after impact at different velocities.
Old January 29, 2014, 08:08 PM   #46
603Country

Chestnut Forge, I've been testing that bullet since it was available and in the early version and now the toughened up version. As I mentioned earlier, it's the bullet I use in most hunting rifles. I do have some generalizations that I believe and that I'll share:

- 55 gr Ballistic Tip in my 220 or 223 isn't quite enough medicine to anchor a deer or medium sized pig.
- 100 gr version in my 260 works fine on coyote on up to large pigs, but the 120 gr version works better.
- 130 gr version in my 270 works very well on anything I've shot, on up to a near 400 pound boar, up close and at distance. I have not hunted elk, but wouldn't use that bullet.
- Avoid quartering shots from the rear. Quartering shots from the front angle work pretty well.
- Don't shoot the deer parts that you plan to eat.

I don't load for a specific speed, but load for accuracy and most of my loads seem to be about a grain under max.
Old January 29, 2014, 08:36 PM   #47
Geo_Erudite

We'll I just got 200, 140 grain .264 caliber SSTs for my 6.5 Creedmoor. I will report back to you on their performance on whitetail in early December. The last two seasons I used factory ammo with the 129 grain interbonds. They, the 129 grain interbonds, over penetrate which is not ideal for the type of hunting and area that I hunt.
Old February 1, 2014, 01:58 AM   #48
bamaranger

threads

Interestingly, I've got a similar thread going in the general rifle forum regards ballistic tips.

I've never shot the SST, so cannot comment here on that slug.
Old February 1, 2014, 05:45 PM   #49
Sea Buck

The AccuBond and the Ballistic Tip seem to be the same bullet. Just a different color tip. Maybe a little marketing tweek by Nosler here?
Old February 1, 2014, 10:10 PM   #50
603Country

I don't think that they are quite the same bullet. The cup design and overall design of the bullet looks very similar. The cup and core in the Accubond are supposed to be bonded in some way. If so, it should hold together a bit better and penetrate better. I have plenty of use info on the BT's but have not used an Accubond. I get the performance I need from the BT, and I have a lot of them.

From what I have read, Nosler wanted the accuracy and BC of the Ballistic Tip in a tougher bullet. Whether or not Accubond meets those objectives, I don't know.
Closed Thread