The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 19, 2014, 03:56 AM   #1
40CalGuy

5"+ centerfire longslide pistols... need options

I'm on the hunt for one and leaning towards a target oriented purpose. I'd like to stay away from magnum calibers for this one. I know they're not cheap and I know that they're not common, either. I like open but adjustable sights either stock or as an option. I'm not a fan of scopes or red dots on pistols. Here's my list of possibilities so far:

Sig P210
Sig X5 or X6 master shop line (specific recommendation appreciated)
Glock 34/35/41
CZ Tactical Sport

Please help me add to this list! I'm willing to look into and research anything at this point.
Old January 19, 2014, 10:19 AM   #2
DubC-Hicks

I think the FNS target 5" is available now, too. It looks pretty good.
Old January 19, 2014, 11:16 AM   #3
P1090

If the Sig 210/Mastershop guns are on your list, you're approaching some higher-end 1911s in price. I know STI has quite a few options that are 6" as do other manufacturers. And of course every government 1911 is a 5" barrel.
Old January 19, 2014, 11:22 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Just what kind of target are you oriented to?

I know of guns suitable to NRA bullseye targets, B27 PPC targets, and USPSA/IDPA action targets. The requirements differ. The allowable guns differ, if you are shooting under a sanctioning organization.

I ask because I would not use a P210 and a G34 for the same purpose even though they are both long barreled 9mms.
Old January 19, 2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Sevens

STI does run the Trojan 5.0 and Trojan 6.0 for somewhat basic guns, they retail around $1,100 or $1,200. STI goes up quite a ways from there, but I mention the Trojan because I've worked with one. Decent gun.

But I think the most gun for the lowest money simply has to be the upper-end Tanfoglio pistols. I have a Witness Match Elite and that is the absolute bottom-end of the upper-end guns and it's fantastic. You can get these new for at/under $600. If you move to the Elite Stock, the Hunter, the Silver Team, the Gold Team, or whatever they are calling them these days, the pistols get better and better and the price inches ever higher. Forget what you think you know about the "EAA Witness", these pistols from the Elite Match and above are a truly different breed of quality and performance.

It would be a tough call to spend X5 or P210 money on a (relatively) unknown Tanfoglio, but these guns are quite popular for competition in Europe. A lot of great discussion hosted at Brian Enos's forums on this platform, and lots of parts and custom goodies here at: http://henningshootsguns.com/shop/main.html

Also, as the price is rising, how about the Smith & Wesson 952? Gorgeous pistol, that one.
Old January 19, 2014, 12:37 PM   #6
40CalGuy

I do have a 1911 government, an SP-01 Tactical and just sold my Para P16.40 race setup. I'm not sitting in sanctioned matches. I don't need a competition sanctioned gun. Just something of quality, center fire, adjustable sights, 9mm or above with a good trigger and good grips.

That Smith 952 looks interesting. Definitely along the lines of a 1911/CZ/Sig X series.

Budget is realistically under $1500. Probably more like $1200-ish. That being said,.if I decide an X6 I'd what I want (or something else) I will pay that price. fI'd like to not get that attached to something that expensive, but if it happens, it happens.

Last edited by 40CalGuy; January 19, 2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old January 19, 2014, 03:45 PM   #7
jmhyer

How about the competition models of the XDm?
Old January 19, 2014, 04:20 PM   #8
40CalGuy

How about them? I haven't ever much looked into any XD, and I've only shot one. Rather an unremarkable, although capable platform IMO.
Old January 19, 2014, 07:07 PM   #9
jmhyer

A friend of mine shoots the 5.25" XDm 9mm in competitions and I've had a chance to try it out. In my view, it's quite accurate with the long sight radius, the fiber optic front sight and adjustable rear sight. Of course most of what I own is in the similar striker-fired platform, so that's what I'm used to.
Old January 19, 2014, 10:50 PM   #10
seeker073180

My range rents a lot of guns and I took out the S&W M&P40L. It was pretty sweet. First shot was way off, then 5 in a cloverleaf at 10 yds - I was impressed. Haven't brought out the glock 34/35, yet. I caught myself drooling over the used Sig X5 L1 that bud's had (I have a standard P226R), but they don't have that one on the rental range... :P There's the aforementioned FNS, and it doesn't seem like there's truth in the ruger SR longslides.

I've got an XDm 5.25 in .45 and a CZ shadow in 9mm. It's apples to oranges, but the CZ is much easier to shoot with the "steadying" weight. The CZ trigger is better, as well as the ergonomics, but I'm no expert. There is the Australian shadow with the 4.925" barrel. http://czcustom.com/cz75sp019shadowextbarrel.aspx
Old January 19, 2014, 11:34 PM   #11
Billy the Kidder

My only experience is with the G34. It has been dependable and accurate.
Old January 19, 2014, 11:40 PM   #12
mavracer

I just bought a CZ Tactical Sport and love it. The rear sight is not adjustable and mine shot way high, I could have filed it but instead opted to install a kensight adjustable. The trigger is very good very near that of a good 1911 trigger. I would also look at the STI 6" guns, I have a VIP and it shoots way better than a 4" gun has any business shooting.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old January 20, 2014, 12:32 AM   #13
pilpens

sti 1911 trojan 6"
Old January 20, 2014, 12:35 AM   #14
40CalGuy

having possession of 2x CZ's (SP-01 Tactical and P-01 ODG) with two more on the way (75B compact Silver metallic and a 97B) I am partial to the idea of a TS.

the kicker? I live 5 miles from the CZ custom shop.
Old January 20, 2014, 01:37 AM   #15
RX-79G

Pardini GT9.
Old January 20, 2014, 12:27 PM   #16
Kleab

Over half my list of "someday guns" are CZs...
"We believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded."
~Doctrine and Covenants 134:11
Old January 20, 2014, 12:31 PM   #17
kcub

Sig X5 and X6 are great guns. I also have an old school Clark longslide 6" .45 I picked up for $1000. Awesome one hole hardball gun.
Old January 20, 2014, 01:58 PM   #18
Fargazer

I've been looking for something similar. Some of the ones I looked at not yet noticed on this list include:
  • M&P 5" 9mm - Most people will put an aftermarket trigger on it, but it is well within your price range even with that taken into account. Very good ergos. Dawson adjustable sights are available.
  • Walther PPQ 5" - Many consider this to have one of the best semi auto pistol triggers out of the box. Excellent ergos. Dawson fixed sights are available. Limited amount of accessories available compared to a Glock or M&P.
  • Rock Island Armory Match - 6" slide - My local 1911 fans speak well of the Rock Island 1911's, though no one I know has personal experience with that specific line. LPA sights.
I am in the market for a similar gun (or guns). I'm starting with the Glock 41, mostly because of my good experiences with a G17 and my GSSF discount card. After that will come a Walther PPQ (my wife and I already have P99, P99c, PPS, and PPX) in 5". Past that, we will see.

One note on the XDm Competition models - they have very good target sights, but make sure you like the style of rear sight. It has a sight cut different from most anything else (including other XDm's), and so far I've not seen a replacement for it. I'm not knocking the gun - just be aware.
Old January 20, 2014, 06:23 PM   #19
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40CalGuy
...having possession of 2x CZ's (SP-01 Tactical and P-01 ODG) with two more on the way (75B compact Silver metallic and a 97B) I am partial to the idea of a TS.
Since you live close to the CZ Custom Shop, see if they have a Tactical Sport you can handle and, maybe, dry fire.

Buying any of the guns you listed (as your next purchase), right now, would give you great BRAGGING RIGHTS, but wouldn't necessarily improve your shooting performance. Your SP-01, with a little Custom Shop tuning (if it hasn't already received it), will shoot better than you know.

I'd recommend going a different path, and spending some money on personalized instruction/training, and see what comes of that.

I'd be willing to bet that sort of training would do far more to improve your shooting than buying better guns. Get the training, and then -- a year from now -- reassess and see what makes sense.

Four members of our IDPA club did this some years ago, asking Larry Brown, a local instructor and USPSA Pro, to run some classes. That was the best money we've ever spent on shooting. (Larry Brown later spent several years working as an instructor with Special Ops troops at Ft. Bragg; I don't know if he's still doing that, as I haven't talked with him in a while.)

I can't tell you how much my shooting improved; the others in the class felt the same way. Little things can make a big difference. Changes to our grips and stances were minor but significant.

While it's a cliche, shooting and playing a musical instrument are a lot alike: A good shooter/musician with mediocre weapon/instrument will typically shoot/sound far better than a mediocre shooter/musician with great weapon/instrument.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 20, 2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old January 20, 2014, 07:51 PM   #20
Ozzieman

Go with the G34

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535688

Politician's are like diapers.
You need to change them often,,,,, for the same reason!
Old January 20, 2014, 07:53 PM   #21
Ozzieman

Go with the G34 Gen 4

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535688

Politician's are like diapers.
You need to change them often,,,,, for the same reason!
Old January 21, 2014, 09:31 AM   #22
tahunua001

any reason why the springfield XDM 5.25 didn't make the list? meets all your criteria.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old January 21, 2014, 09:53 AM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

You might be able to squeak a Fusion in under $1500. I haven't checked their prices lately. Great gun though. My uncle has a Fusion 10mm Long Slide.
Old January 21, 2014, 10:17 AM   #24
Beentown71

Maybe I missed it but what is the purpose of the gun? Depending on which game is played would decide what I use.

The Glock is cheap to upgrade and who cares if it gets beat up a bit during shoots. The XDM is GREAT after a PRP trigger install.

I will also second the Witness Elite lineup as awesome for the price.
Old January 21, 2014, 10:41 AM   #25
40CalGuy

The purpose is simple...fun. It's not going to be a competition gun, I just seem to be liking more and more the looks of some longslide pistols, and I'm not much of a .22lr target guy, really.

I'll look into the Fusion...and I should probably look into the XDm line as well. I've only ever shot one XD. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't my favorite.